Keto Diet? What is it? Is it safe?

Options

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb by choice, but I eat lots of protein becasue I find it keeps me full longer than breads and grains...thats what works for me, its maintainable and I never feel deprived, that diet of yours sounds a little risky and too unresearched and definitely unhealthy, why would you want to fill your body with fat??
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Good on you Ladypippen....Me too
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I'd take diet advice from a Dr/Dietitian that was 450lbs himself...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    While you may lose weight fast, you WILL put it back on twice as fast once you start eating carbs.
    She is correct.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781796/?tool=pmcentrez

Rats?
    Did you even read the conclusion. I bet you didn't.
  • LadyPippen
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/#axzz1n8XZBjE5
    Your best bet is to stick with the Primal Blue Print where you're only allowed to eat carbs from fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts. Basically cutting out all fast and process carbs from your nutritional intake. I've gone primal and so far its working for me.
    0-50 gr carbs a day=full ketosis quick weight loss
    50-100 gr carbs...=healthy 1-2 lbs a week fat loss
    100-150 gr carbs...=weight maintanance
    150-250gr carbs...=weight gain ( in most people)
    Over 250 gr per day = can lead to long term health problems.

All above taken from the Paleo diet by Mark Sisson
  • jonski1968
    Options
    I'm currently on that diet, and in a ketogenic state. I think it's perfectly healthy for me and so does my dr. Do I recommend it to people who have a completely normal metabolism? Hell no! But really it works! In 36 days I've lost 22 lbs and 16 inches all over. The whole calorie in, calorie out thing just didn't work for me at all. Now, with this being said once I get close to my goal weight I will add carbs back until I reach a maintenance level and stay there. I imagine this number to be around 75-100. This isn't a diet but a lifestyle change, I wouldn't be doing it unless I thought I could do it for life.

Also I cheat...yesterday I had Chinese food....and I didn't gain it all back :tongue:.

Keep us up to date on how your doing...
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to stick with the Primal Blue Print where you're only allowed to eat carbs from fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts. Basically cutting out all fast and process carbs from your nutritional intake. I've gone primal and so far its working for me.

THIS^^^ is the way to go
  • AntWrig
    Options

He is wrong. I have cut over 30lbs since January on carb intake of over 250g. People act like carbs have some magical profile. It's 4 calories per gram just like protein. I don't see anyone cutting protein out. You're body needs a combination of all three to run optimally.

It's like saying cars doesn't need wheels. Sure, you take the wheels off you lose weight. You also can move along on the hubs. You wont be moving fast though.

Oh and according to my sumo-type (Endomorph) I should gain over 1000 pounds when I consume any carbs, but I don't. The carb phobia is disgusting.
  • jonski1968
    Options

He is wrong. I have cut over 30lbs since January on carb intake of over 250g. People act like carbs has some magical profile. It's 4calories per gram just like protein. I don't see anyone cutting protein out. You're body needs a combination of all three to run optimally.

It's like saying cars doesn't need wheels. Sure, you take the wheels off you lose weight. You also can move along on the hubs. You wont be moving fast though.

Each to their own...What works for some doesn`t work for others...Personally speaking the ONLY way i can lose weight and keep it off...is the Low carb Way...And believe me i`ve tried so many diets in the past that are great at the time, but useless if you go back to eating crappy proccessed carbs..
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Sorry but the majority of studies show that keto type diets are the best for weight loss in the long run.
    It is indeed healthy as long as you watch your macros and get the daily dose of nutrients.

+1
  • LadyPippen
    Options
    The primal blueprint is about cutting out process carbs and fast carbs. Your body can survive on carbs from fruits and veggies, which is where you're supposed to be getting them from anyway.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/#axzz1n8XZBjE5

He is wrong. I have cut over 30lbs since January on carb intake of over 250g. People act like carbs has some magical profile. It's 4calories per gram just like protein. I don't see anyone cutting protein out. You're body needs a combination of all three to run optimally.

Oh and according to my sumo-type (Endomorph) I should gain over 1000 pounds when I consume any carbs, but I don't. The carb phobia is disgusting.
  • AntWrig
    Options
  • AntWrig
    Options
    The primal blueprint is about cutting out process carbs and fast carbs. Your body can survive on carbs from fruits and veggies, which is where you're supposed to be getting them from anyway.

According to whom? Do you have some magical time machine that allowed you to see what primal man was eating? Why do people take such things to extreme? Oh, I know they gotta sale books. There will always be someone gullible to buy it to.

Cutting "fast" carbs??? Is this real life. A fair bit of fruits are mid to high gi. Are those primal? They are considered fast digesting.

Go read a real book on the Keto, without the alarmist and paleo nonsense. Read the ketogenic diet by lyle mcdonald. IF you want to take it old school read the Anabolic Diet or the Anabolic Solution by Dr. Pasquale. I know you won't though.
  • LadyPippen
    Options
    Yes we do have a time machine, its call the time line of agriculture, whenever agriculture came into play is where human nutrition started to change. Nobody can absolutely tell me what the purpose of a grain nutritionally and how humans benefit from it other than fiber, which we can get from vegetables. No more weight gain, no more insulin problems, no more disease and effortless weight loss.

According to whom? Do you have some magical time machine that allowed you to see what primal man was eating? Why do people take such things to extreme? Oh, I know they gotta sale books. There will always be someone gullible to buy it to.

Cutting "fast" carbs??? Is this real life. A fair bit of fruits are mid to high gi. Are those primal? They are considered fast digesting.
  • jonski1968
    Options
    I have the ketogenic diet by lyle mcdonald...So what is your point?

And if anyone would care to read it...it can be found here if you have any bittorent programmes.

http://www.demonoid.me/files/?category=11&subcategory=All&language=0&seeded=0&external=2&query=lyle+mcdonald&uid=0&sort=
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Yes we do have a time machine, its call the time line of agriculture, whenever agriculture came into play is where human nutrition started to change. Nobody can absolutely tell me what the purpose of a grain nutritionally and how humans benefit from it other than fiber, which we can get from vegetables. No more weight gain, no more insulin problems, no more disease and effortless weight loss.

I see what you did there. You forgot to mention that we as humans have progressively become lazier. I don't need to hunt for food, I can go to the store. I don't need to build shelter, I have a PRE-Built home. Some of the same complaints used against whole grains, fruits and veggies contain the same defense mechanisms. So, what were you saying again?

Are fruits and veggies great? They sure are. However, grains are not the destroyers of the western civilization. The lack of activity and the over consumption of calories from ALL THREE MACRO NUTRIENTS is the cause.

Oh, and check my videos out on Youtube regarding the Anabolic. I was a low carb taliban at one point too, and a cardio junkie.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I have the ketogenic diet by lyle mcdonald...So what is your point?
    My point is he plays both sides, unlike the primal blueprint. I read the book and took it back in disgust.
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on that diet, and in a ketogenic state. I think it's perfectly healthy for me and so does my dr. Do I recommend it to people who have a completely normal metabolism? Hell no! But really it works! In 36 days I've lost 22 lbs and 16 inches all over. The whole calorie in, calorie out thing just didn't work for me at all. Now, with this being said once I get close to my goal weight I will add carbs back until I reach a maintenance level and stay there. I imagine this number to be around 75-100. This isn't a diet but a lifestyle change, I wouldn't be doing it unless I thought I could do it for life.

Also I cheat...yesterday I had Chinese food....and I didn't gain it all back :tongue:.

Keep us up to date on how your doing...

Definitely will! :)
  • jonski1968
    Options
    Ahaaa...So what your saying is that if anybody is thinking about trying Ketosis, they should look into both sides of the argument...

Which i have to agree with...