If you do at home workout DVD's do you find you get better r

Options
from picking a program and sticking through with it until the end or by mixing up different videos each day?

I started Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and was doing each level Tues-Sat before moving to the next level the following week. I did level 3 day 1 Tuesday this week but then one of my kids got sick and I had to take off yesterday. Now I'm debating if I'll just do a 4 day week on the program and finish it up with level 4 next week or if I want to start mixing her DVD's and jumping around to different ones.

One benefit to mixing them up (Besides not getting bored) would be that some days I'd be doing DVD's that are longer than the 30 minutes I typically spend doing a level of one of the multiweek programs. But, will the results suffer? What has worked best for you?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple of times to get through a program but I get bored, or annoyed by the trainer (Jillian), or injured from repetitive motions (Insanity)...so for ME, mixing it up works better because otherwise I just wouldn't do it. I would say it depends on the person probably.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I prefer to mix it up. I have a gym membership but I solely workout at home because its just alot easier for me (saves alot of time).. I have collected over 88 exercise videos and my thing is I dont like to get bored. So one day I might do Levels 1-3 of Jillians 30 Day shred, the next day I might do Bob Harpers Total Body Transformation DVD, the next day I will run, etc.

It all depends on the person...
  • yvonmac
    yvonmac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. I am doing 30 DS again and I do it 2 days a week. I do elliptical 3 days a week, and Jillian's yoga meltdown one day a week. I have to mix it up because I get bored and then won't do it. Good luck.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I get bored pretty easily as well, so mixing it up works for me.

As old as I am and as many videos as I've watched, sometimes I just turn on the television and do it on my own for a break. The only problem with that is that sometimes I will let my heart rate drop a bit too much. So I switch to a music station during commercials and do some dancing.
  • Amf5627622
    Options
    I am doing the 30 day shred because the 20 minute workout is harder than I would push myself for 60 minutes on my treadmill or elliptical. It also helps me that it is so quick that I can squeeze it in even on busy nights. I do not do it for the recommended 10 days in a row. I do three days on two days off, 4 days on 1 day off depending on my schedule. In just two and half weeks I am noticing big results in how my clothes fit even without doing it daily.
  • specialk1875
    Options
    If you have a game system I would suggest getting Zumba. Its the funnest workout and I havent gotten bored of it yet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have to mix it up. No way can I use the same instructor for 30 days. I'm like IWoods34 ... I have a fairly big collection of DVDs so I can go back & do workouts that haven't seen the light of day for awhile.

I just started using Wii games (only 2) .... will be looking for more.
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of dvd's at home including the P90's and P90X stuff and some dancing ones and Jillians too. We also have Biggest Loser for Kincet and Dance Central for Kinect is a hoot too. I will still pop in one of the dvd's if the weather is bad enough to make me think about skipping though. And you do 10 minutes of Kinect at moderate intensity and you will start getting your "glow" on for sure!

For me though I love going to the gym simply because of more square footage. At home I get a little claustrophobic in our little workout space but I can "spread out" a bit more at the gym.

For me personally, better results are at the gym.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of dvd's at home including the P90's and P90X stuff and some dancing ones and Jillians too. We also have Biggest Loser for Kincet and Dance Central for Kinect is a hoot too. I will still pop in one of the dvd's if the weather is bad enough to make me think about skipping though. And you do 10 minutes of Kinect at moderate intensity and you will start getting your "glow" on for sure!

For me though I love going to the gym simply because of more square footage. At home I get a little claustrophobic in our little workout space but I can "spread out" a bit more at the gym.

For me personally, better results are at the gym.

My husband feels the same way and because of this we do have a family membership at the local YMCA. Although I can go there too I very rarely do. I'm a stay at home mom and have a 2 year old home with me all day, a 3 year old in preschool 3 mornings a week, and a 5 year old that is in afternoon Kindergarten (to which I have to drop her off every day). It's really hard to find the time to get there while my husband is home to watch them and without cutting into the only time we have to really catch up with each other after the kids go to bed so the workout videos work much better for me . I can pop it in and do it in the afternoons while my little guy naps. But, I'm hoping once I get rid of the last of the pounds (and the weather gets warmer/ kids get older so the whole check in and out process at the Y's childcare room isn't the hassle is now) I'll start making use of it to do some weight training.