30 days of logging and only 3.2lbs gone to show for it

Options

Replies

• princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are losing almost 0.75 lbs a week... While this may not be your weekly goal, at least you are on the decline. I know "have patience' isn't what you want to hear, but give yourself a break and more than 30 days for you and your body to adjust to logging foods and choosing the right foods for your body.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I noticed in your diary that you are not keeping track of your total fat intake for the day. Hang in there though and don't give up! You'll get this figured out! We'll all help as much as we can even if it's just listening! :flowerforyou:
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    Just taking a quick peek in your diary, your sodium levels are extremely high. Eat those exercise calories back and if you work out everyday measure yourself! You could be losing inches! Eat lots of fruits and veggies, I eat carrots and apples nearly every day.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    also..... 3.2 lbs in 30 days? thats nothing to sneeze at, you should be proud of what you have accomplished thus far. if you kept that steady, that would be nearly 40 lbs by this time next year.
  • genericaroar
    genericaroar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eat more, more fruits and veggies specifically...i don't think you're doing terrible at all though.
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't think a mom of two and daycare is sedentary! I'm sure you get up with the kids throughout the day (just my opinion). And you say you also go to the gym...
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You say you are truly sedentary, but then you say you go to the gym and you are working out and burning 800 calories? That is not sedentary.

Also if you're managing a family that includes children, you're probably not sedentary regardless of working out. You may need to change that, which would change your calories. And you do need to make sure your deficit isn't too high or your metabolism will drop.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In your original post you mention kitchen scales. You need to weigh the food you are eating. Most people over estimate the quantities if they don't weigh stuff. I would be careful about taking advice to eat more to lose weight, particularly when it comes from some people that have lost nothing! I carry a big defecit every day through exercise, and have lost 21lb so far...
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I was sedentary, like desk job kind of sedentary which is what MFP defines as sedentary. Maybe I should change to lightly active? I think fitbit will help me fully determine my activity level and give me a better idea of my calories burned.

I guess the whole deficit throws me off because before MFP there was just eat only 1200-1500 calories and workout and that's it. The calories burned were never included in old school dieting (that I know of).

I'm definitely not giving up though, I'm trying to find ways to change things to help me better and I'm trying to make choices I can live with for the rest of my life.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing you do. I didn't look to see if it mentioned how much you currently weight and want to lose, but I've been kind of hanging around the same general weight for a couple of months. I recently calculated my BMR and TDEE, and I try to eat at LEAST my BMR (also sedentary - mine is 1,453) and less than my TDEE. I also noticed a huge difference when I ate a little more but posted a significant amount of calories burned. I've been doing 30 Day Shred and lost some serious inches, but not a single pound. I just started Ripped in 30 now, but pair it with Extreme Shed and Shred whenever I can. That leads to a 1,000 calorie burn, and I lost 2 pounds last week that way.

Then my kids and husband got me sick.

Feel free to add me - I totally know what you are going through, and maybe together we can find a trick that works for our bodies! :-)
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    I currently weight 196.8 and I want to get down to 120, I'm 5'2" so that puts me right in the middle of healthy for BMI. I've been that weight before in high school.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary and through the responses.
    The one think I spot that seems to be the biggest problem is no breakfast.

IF you start with a well balanced breakfast with a good amount of fiber it will give you more energy and make is so you are not so hungry during the day. When I first stared I did not eat breakfast at all, my nutritionist and doctors asked me to try it for 2 weeks, so I reluctantly did, and guess what, the hunger dissipated and weight started to come off.

Try adding 1/3 cup of bran buds mixed with a 0% yogurt with your breakfast and see if that helps.
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    I'm not big into eating in the morning. I need to get back to drinking my protein shake when I wake up.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know you said your not a morning eater but thats how you break the fast from overnight.
    Try eating something small such as yogurt, oatmeal(not packaged), egg, toast. Something
    would be better than nothing.

Don't give up. I have been on here since Oct 2010 and only down 15 pounds. I'm 5'2 1/2 and
    started on here at 169. I weigh 153-155 depending on what I ate the day before and if my
    muscles are sore from my good workout.

I would try to NET 1500 calories for a week of healthier options. You know like 100 calorie cookie
    is worse than 100 calories of fruit/veggies.
  • daveelamp
    Options
    Like many above have said it is important not to undereat as your body will go into starvation mode. As for not being able to find something to eat or find the time. I had the same problem... rushing for work in the morning and not having time to make anything and missing the most important meal of the day.

I always have some protein bars and meal replacement shakes now. only takes 2mins to make a shake and very filling and full of goodness. hope this helps x
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    Protein shakes are just liquid calories, they do have there place and I have nothing against them, heck I have them too, but just try for a week or two of eating a good high fiber breakfast and see what happens.

It helps a lot, I was in the same boat you, I did not like to eat in the mornings, but it is the first step to a healthy lifestyle.

It helps to boos your metabolism and will aid in weight loss.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You have massive defecits going on. If MFP has set you up with 2lbs a week, it has built in a 1000 Calorie a day defecit. You're leaving another 800 to 1000 from what I saw and this is quite frankly, ridiculous. The most you should ever have is 1000 - 500 is a better option. 2000 is not leaving your body enough energy to function with and perform the functions it needs for you to actually lose weight.

You want to be as close to the Goal as possible, not 800-1000 below. Eat more, and give your body a fighting chance.
  • lysistrataNix
    Options
    right now it's set at a 1lb loss per week, if I set it to a 2lb loss it give me 1200 a day, which I eat that then I work out the only thing I don't do is eat back my workout calories.
  • dfildes1
    Options
    Have you tried the South Beach diet? I have tried every diet under the sun and decided to get a whole load of books and DVD's from my local library and research them. The South Beach diet made most sense and was developed by a Cardiac Physician. I have been on the diet for 6 days and lost 6lbs. The first two weeks are like a detox - no bread, rice, pasta or potatoes. The book is packed full of great and easy recipes that all the family can enjoy. Check it out, if it can work for me it can work for you.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    right now it's set at a 1lb loss per week, if I set it to a 2lb loss it give me 1200 a day, which I eat that then I work out the only thing I don't do is eat back my workout calories.

Okay, in which case you have a built in defecit of 500. This is because a 500 defecit a day routine works out at 3500 a week - 1 pound. If you then add the extra 800-1000 I saw from your diary, you end up with 1300-1500, which is too much really. When you're working with such a small calorie budget to start with, you really need to use it all to make sure your body has enough energy to metabolise the fat and water.

Try eating back 50-60% of your exercise calories to start with if you're not comfortable eating them all. Best of luck :)