Polar FT40, Fit Test, and VO2 Max. What does it mean?

Options
So I just got my new Polar FT40 in the mail. I did the fit test, and it gave me a VO2 Max of 35 the first time I did it and 39 the second time I did it. Which should I use? How will this affect the calories burned? Does it even matter?

Replies

• KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    VO2 Max is your aerobic capacity (maximum oxygen uptake)...No need to even worry about it-that is more for long distance athletes who need to train to increase that capacity. That's the only downside of HRM is there's alot of stuff on it you don't need!

Hope this helps:)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    VO2 Max is your aerobic capacity (maximum oxygen uptake)...No need to even worry about it-that is more for long distance athletes who need to train to increase that capacity. That's the only downside of HRM is there's alot of stuff on it you don't need!

Hmm, well I am an aspiring long distance runner. I'm in the middle of doing couch to 5k right now. I'd like to do a half marathon by 2013. So, in that context, how do I use this information to my advantage?
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options
    Anyone? Help!
  • KYMUSE
    Options
    I would start by reading through the Polar manual, my model is older and doesn't have that function. Logging miles will improve your VO2 Max as well as losing weight.

Strictly my opinion, just run and enjoy it :) This type of training isn't necessary and no indicator of success-especially when you aren't racing competitively. Good place to start for anyone new to running-Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway..both have fantastic training programs that would get you race ready.

Good luck.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Actually you do need VO2max if you want an as accurate as can be calorie estimation.. So don't go dismissing it with out knowing what functions it has.

To OP:
    35 and 39 are not that big of a jump. It kind of depends on how accurate you want the calorie estimation to be because each number is going to produce a different estimation.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options

Actually you do need VO2max if you want an as accurate as can be calorie estimation.. So don't go dismissing it with out knowing what functions it has.

To OP:
    35 and 39 are not that big of a jump. It kind of depends on how accurate you want the calorie estimation to be because each number is going to produce a different estimation.

Thanks for the information. When I got the reading of 39 I had been laying down a little longer, so my heart rate was probably a bit lower. Which would you use?
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You could take and do 37 since its in the middle.
    I'm sure it will be fine just picking the middle number. I have been using my HRM the last year and love it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

To OP:

Thanks for the information. When I got the reading of 39 I had been laying down a little longer, so my heart rate was probably a bit lower. Which would you use?

When I took my FT60's test I got 39 also and thats what I use... and so far it seems to be pretty spot on.
  • KYMUSE
    Options

To OP:

Please show me where I was dismissing it? I thought I was very honest in the fact my monitor didn't have that function and I didn't know, which is why I suggested she start with reading what the manual said.

And in my year of studying to become a CPT and 2 years of training clients, I never learned NOR needed using VO2 max readings to give someone "as accurate as can be" calorie measure. I find that laughable, to be honest.

To the orignial poster-if I sounded dismissive, I apologize. I gave you all the information that I knew. I should have ended with "someone much smarter than me will come along and explain it"

:laugh:
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options

To OP:

Please show me where I was dismissing it? I thought I was very honest in the fact my monitor didn't have that function and I didn't know, which is why I suggested she start with reading what the manual said.

And in my year of studying to become a CPT and 2 years of training clients, I never learned NOR needed using VO2 max readings to give someone "as accurate as can be" calorie measure. I find that laughable, to be honest.

To the orignial poster-if I sounded dismissive, I apologize. I gave you all the information that I knew. I should have ended with "someone much smarter than me will come along and explain it"

:laugh:

I don't think you were dismissive, but I have heard time and again that, so far as HRMs are concerned, having an accurate VO2 Max is essential to having as accurate as possible a calorie estimation. There was something about VO2 Max being tied to you heart rate and the intensity at which you are working out. There was a formula or something. Heck, I don't know, and I don't understand it. That's why I asked.
  • KYMUSE
    Options
    I understand. I thought you meant using it to train for completing the half marathon.

As far as using it towards an "exact" calorie estimation, I guess I've just never followed that school of thought but for those that want that-sounds like a great addition to the monitor (mine is OLD!) I grew up with parents that owned a gym and still follow their lead of eat clean/train dirty and let the rest go:) I've read so much on this website of people making things so much harder than it has to be.

Best of luck with all your training.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options

You might do it a couple more times and then average the result.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Ya, the good HRM's use the VO2 max, either measured poorly as this watch does, by pure calculation, or by manual entry, to calculate the calorie burn.

So the more accurate that figure, the more accurate the calorie burn figure is.

They are totally related.

http://www.braydenwm.com/cal_vs_hr_ref_paper.pdf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

Don't laugh at knowledge!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options
    I understand. I thought you meant using it to train for completing the half marathon.

I am interested in it for both reasons. As accurate as possible calorie burn and improved running. I think I'll take your advice as far as running is concerned. I'll also check out the two authors you recommended. Thanks. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So I just got my new Polar FT40 in the mail. I did the fit test, and it gave me a VO2 Max of 35 the first time I did it and 39 the second time I did it. Which should I use? How will this affect the calories burned? Does it even matter?

Incredible what you can find using the Search button on here!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466973-i-want-to-test-for-my-max-heart-rate-vo2-max

As to did that function estimate it well? Not likely for the ladies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The V02 max calc needs to be set because its what the unit uses to factor in calorie burn.
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would start by reading through the Polar manual, my model is older and doesn't have that function. Logging miles will improve your VO2 Max as well as losing weight.

Strictly my opinion, just run and enjoy it :) This type of training isn't necessary and no indicator of success-especially when you aren't racing competitively. Good place to start for anyone new to running-Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway..both have fantastic training programs that would get you race ready.

Good luck.

I agree.. When I paid too much attention to all that it took the fun out of running and training. I use the nike+ to track my miles, and the HRM to track calories.. I don't get more technical than that
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    you wont get a true VO2 Max without a test involving a mask ... this is just an estimate
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options

Incredible what you can find using the Search button on here!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466973-i-want-to-test-for-my-max-heart-rate-vo2-max

As to did that function estimate it well? Not likely for the ladies.

I used the search function this morning. Neither of your posts came up, but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. You could have left the snark out. Why do people have to be such jerks around here.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I think you should read the manual!