Why is eating healthy so expensive?

Options
Since I've decided to eat better I find that foods that are good for you are much more expensive, as a mother of 7
the grocery bills can really add up. Suggestions please

Replies

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    What kind of stores do you have access to? I shop Aldi for produce when regular stores don't have good sales, it's so much cheaper than other places. I also coupon and have found really good deals. I've even gotten free organic stuff. I'm thankful we have good stores, Meijer has REALLY great produce prices this week. I buy some frozen veggies and stuff from Sam's as well.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Once I started buying a ton more produce and beans/lentils I started spending a lot less on groceries...it's the processed stuff that adds up, healthy or not-healthy...
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Once I started buying a ton more produce and beans/lentils I started spending a lot less on groceries...it's the processed stuff that adds up, healthy or not-healthy...

When I made the switch to healthy eating my grocery bills went up for about a week or two. However, then they dropped and I've been spending less on groceries ever since. I feel like once I got the basic stuff it really was a whole lot cheaper.

As a suggestion for the op, keep an eye on what you're looking at (as far as healthy alternatives). Some foods may look/sound/boast better, but they aren't! Don't be fooled by expensive (but not actually better for you) foods. If you have time to do research I highly recommend it.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options

When I made the switch to healthy eating my grocery bills went up for about a week or two. However, then they dropped and I've been spending less on groceries ever since. I feel like once I got the basic stuff it really was a whole lot cheaper.

As a suggestion for the op, keep an eye on what you're looking at (as far as healthy alternatives). Some foods may look/sound/boast better, but they aren't! Don't be fooled by expensive (but not actually better for you) foods. If you have time to do research I highly recommend it.

This was my experience too- once you're stocked up on the staples, the bills go down.
  • ClarkAddison
    ClarkAddison Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way. It's an investment to reduce my medical bills.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The best suggestion I have is to buy according to what's on sale and build menus from it, rather than making a menu and then going to get foods for it.

Stock up on non-perishables when they are on sale.
    Dried beans and brown rice are usually inexpensive and you can build many meals around them.
    Buy as much fresh produce as your budget allows, then supplement with frozen or canned vegetables.
    Buy lean meats and fish on sale.
    Clip coupons. Some grocery chains even have online coupons.

If you don't like/want tap water, invest in a water filter rather than spend money on expensive bottled water. It's much cheaper in the long run and less trash.
  • joyharvey04
    joyharvey04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is expensive...but (yup there's a but) in the long run is it really more expensive then compared to being overweight and having medical issues? Yet I completely understand where you are coming from, try buying fruits and veggies when they are on sale and look into freezing them or canning them to use later. Not sure if this has helped at all, but hang in there and good luck! :happy:
  • amber10101
    amber10101 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm on a tight budget too and black beans and rice save the day!

I buy a bag of dry black beans for $1 - $1.20 that I cook in the slow cooker. When the beans are done, I add some onion, and whatever veggies and spices I have around. I buy rice in bulk. At my store, I can get a 20 pound bag for under $10. That's enough rice to last us a couple months. And the $1 bag of beans feeds me and my fiancé 2-3 meals.

Serve with kale, collards, Brusseles sprouts for a fresh side, or get some frozen veggies as a side if greens are out of season.

I also make lentil soups in my slow cooker. Lentils are super cheap and very good for you. Lentils and a bunch of veggies with a grain like millet, quinoa, amaranth or barley makes a gret and inexpensive meal.

And when your growing season rolls around, look into a CSA. I do a worker share on a farm, so work 4 hours a week in exchange for a big basket of produce. Not all farms offer worker shares, but you could buy a share. Prices vary around the country, so do some research. Most farms sell out of memberships early on - so start looking now if interested.

You can eat very healthy on the cheap. It just takes some creativity and practice. Good luck!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Shop farmer's markets for foods that are in season, buy seasonal products in bulk and freeze what you cannot use immediately, check out fliers for sales on various fruits and veggies (shop at different stores to find best bargains), coupons (search the internet for coupons!), etc.

You can learn to cook creatively too by using leftovers to make new meals.

All else fails...grow your own veggies! :)

The way I look at it is that by spending a bit more on my groceries I am investing in my health. I can cut corners elsewhere, but when it comes to my health that is a worthwhile investment. An extra $50 a month is worth looking, feeling and being healthy.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford fresh produce, then frozen or canned is a good alternative. Just make sure the canned stuff is "no salt added." (And canned fruit is "no sugar added" and in the fruit's own juice - no syrups!) But both frozen and canned can be found for under $1 during sales. I usually stock up on veggies during sales and fill my freezer.

I also like to buy the big bags of frozen chicken breasts for under $10 to have on hand.

Off-brand everything - rice, whole wheat pasta, dried beans if you like them, etc. Eating more vegetarian meals during the week cuts out the more expensive meat spending. Also, just serving smaller portions of meat and loading plates up with veggies and fruit work too.

Big batches of healthy soup or chili can be prepared and last for a week's worth of lunches and are super cheap.

Always shop for fresh produce in season, which affects their price.
  • beautifulme32
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the idea"s it helps a lot:happy:
  • davenportk83
    davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Like a few others have said, the first few weeks my grocery bill went up, but now it has settled back into my old budget range now that my pantry staples are under control. Aldi's is by far the best for produce, milk and eggs in my area. I also make a quick stop at our local Dollartree, they have a great variety of frozen veggies and fruit. Often the same Name brand that sells at the grocery store for 2 or 3 dollars a bag vs. one dollar at the Dollartree. They also keep rice and dry beans in stock, that includes brown rice that we eat several times a week. Beans or lentils at least once a week.

Good luck to you!!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I agree that healthy food is more expensive then the crap version in a grocery store. However, my family and I used to spend probably $400-500 a month on restaurant! We love to eat out!!!! But now, we put this amount on our health instead. It's a way better lifestyle.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has to be more expensive in $$$ but you do have to make an investment in time - planning, shopping, cooking can all take longer if you don't want to spend a heap on convenient (but often not very good for you!) "diet" foods.
    It is well worth making the effort though and once you are into the swing of it, it is easy to cook a big batch of something so you have meals ready to go in the fridge or freezer for those busy days.
    I've seen a few great ideas in other thread too - try searching MFP for "budget recipes" and I bet you'll find lots more good ideas too.
  • beautifulme32
    Options
    thanks for the ideas everyone:smile:
  • laceyw182
    Options
    I find healthy eating way cheaper to be honest. I buy everything from Asda and try to look at what's on offer. They do some really delicious turkey sausages in packs of 8 for £2 and we always stock up on the 3 for £10 meats. Banana's are a great snack too I think we paid 72p for 6 which ise much cheaper than bars of chocolate :)
    If you want some real bargains shop at 3 on a Sunday just before the store closes they sell lots of stuff at half price or less the dates arent always great but you can usually freeze stuff to make it last :)
  • jofromnz
    jofromnz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Some great advice on here! Another idea also is to include some meat free meals during the week. I find it cuts a huge amount of our shopping boil down - we have meat free meals about twice every week - corn fritters, vege quiche, spinach cannelloni etc. Still yummy and filling but without the expense of meat. The other thing I do is to buy in bulk if items I use pare on special!! Cans etc never go out of date and are great staples to have in the pantry (beans, chopped tomatoes etc etc!).
  • jb140
    jb140 Posts: 29
    Options
    The best suggestion I have is to buy according to what's on sale and build menus from it, rather than making a menu and then going to get foods for it.

I concur!!