Too Much Protein?

Options
Is too much protein (from a dieting standpoint) a bad thing? One of my favorite snacks is Greek yogurt, and it always seems to push me over my daily protein goal. Any ideas?

Replies

• kristyhooker
    Options
    How much is your daily protein intake? I'm 5' 8" 140 pounds, 29 years old. i try for around 150 grams of protein a day. When you set it up on MFP it goes to like 40 grams or something like that.....
  • Marmalina
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that if you go overboard your protein intake, whatever your body doesn't use turns into fat. If you're working out vigoursly, especially if your lifing, you will need more protein than a non-active person but I wouldn't overdue it.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that if you go overboard your protein intake, whatever your body doesn't use turns into fat. If you're working out vigoursly, especially if your lifing, you will need more protein than a non-active person but I wouldn't overdue it.

Not necessarily true. If you go over you maintenance calories then ALL macros (carbs fat and protein) can be stored as fat.

OP: The setting on MFP is pretty low. I would aim for 1 gram per 1 lb lean body mass. I'm set for 118 grams. Protein (coupled with heavy lifting) helps preserves the muscle as you diet. You lose both fat and muscle. If you minimize muscle loss, you'll reduce body fat.
  • Marmalina
    Options
    Oh thats interesting ! I always thought that certain types ( sugar or carbs ect ) are more likely to turn to fat than others. So your saying if you go over your max calorie count for the day.. It doesnt matter where the calories are coming from.. They will turn to fat ?