8 glasses of water or 8 CUPS of water?

Options
When MFP has you log your water for the day...are we talking 8 glasses, CUPS or what? I know it's not that important to know exactly, but I am just curious how many ounces they are suggesting?

Thanks!

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I believe it's 8 cups of water, that's what I've been logging at least.
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    8 oz per glass and 8 glasses of water per day-so 64 oz
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    8 oz = 1 cup

so 64 oz per day. I have glasses that hold 16 oz so I count each one as 2 cups.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz. so MFP suggests you drink 64 oz. of water a day (in whatever vessel you choose). :drinker:
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    8 cups
    I keep a 16 oz. glass going all day long, I will usually drink 5 of those full so I am getting 10 cups of water a day.
  • clowermom
    clowermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I believe they are talking about CUPS. Glasses can be different sizes, so that wouldn't me an accurate measurement. The "standard" water bottles I get from the store (Zephyrhills) is 16.9 oz. That's roughly 2 cups. So, if I drink 4 of them a day (which, I must confess, I don't), then I've gotten my 8 cups of water.

Hope that helps. :)
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    8 cups, 8 ounces each.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking more than I thought. Huh.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    these posts make my head hurt
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    The recommended 64 ounces of water should be the MINIMUM that you drink, BTW. From what I understand, you should drink half your body weight in ounces for your organs to function properly. Example: 200 pound person needs 100 ounces of water.

Oh, and I'm not a Doctor or Nutritionist... I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :laugh:
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day."

Cups.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what they are talking - cups or glasses...but I think it is cups...

To determine how much water you should be drinking you should divide your weight in pounds by half.

Convert this number to ounces. This is the amount of water you should try to drink each day. For instance, a 160 lb. man should attempt to drink 80 oz. of water per day.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    The recommended 64 ounces of water should be the MINIMUM that you drink, BTW. From what I understand, you should drink half your body weight in ounces for your organs to function properly. Example: 200 pound person needs 100 ounces of water.

Oh, and I'm not a Doctor or Nutritionist... I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :laugh:

lol
  • ilovejuan2009
    Options
    as long as whatever you are drinking out of is 8oz you are fine. I drink out of a water bottle and its = to 3 8oz cups of water so I drink 3 of those for my daily intake of water. if you go over the recommended daily intake no worries, just as long as you stay hydrated. But be careful not to drink to much water, and I mean like several gallons because it can thin your blood too much.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz.

I drink 12 to 15 cups (96 to 120 oz) a day.

I have a CamelBack bottle that has 8oz, 16 oz and 24oz markings on it so I know exactly how much water I drink :)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    8oz=1c

8 x 1c= 64oz

1 pint=16oz

4p x 4 = 64oz

1 quart= 32 oz

1q x 2 = 64oz

1 liter=33.8140227oz

1l x1.8927058921031= 64 oz
  • mikki629
    Options
    I didn't really know either. But I have a big water bottle that holds 32oz and I try and drink at least 2 of those a day. So... 64. Which judging by the responses, is correct.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself one question.

Is a glass a standard unit of measurement...or is a cup?

And if that proves difficult...try reading what it actually says on the food diary...
    "Water Consumption
    We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. Click the arrows to add or subtract cups of water."
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use glass, sometimes I use plastic. Just depends on what I feel like drinking out of that day.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I drink the amount of water I feel like when I'm thirsty. I must be doing it wrong.