I only have 45 minutes to work out, 3 days a week. What shou

Options
Hi everyone, I have joined the gym at my work and plan to work out there 3 days a week during my lunch break. I have a 3 month old and a 2 year old that I have to drop off in the morning and pick up after work, so working out before or after work is out of the question. The only free time I have during the week is over my lunch hour OR after 8pm, and the gym closes at 7. I can also do some exercise at home on the weekends, but I don't have any weight equipment.

Anyway, when you factor in the shower & make-up/hair, I only have 40-45 minutes from start to finish. My goal is to build strength, endurance and tone. I do still have 6-7 pounds to lose, but I'm not as concerned about that as I know it will come in the next couple of months. I'm more interested in reducing my body fat percentage by quite a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to balance the cardio and strength training in that 45 minutes? I was thinking about the following:

5 minute warm-up on elliptical
20 minutes of strength training (not sure if I should do total body every day or focus on upper body one day, lower body the next?)
20 minutes on treadmill, elliptical or bike? or combo circuit training?

I know that 45 minutes isn't long, but it is truly all that I have at the gym so I have to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck :)

THANKS to all of you,
Faith

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Since you have the time to work out on the weekends - walking, running, other home exercises, etc. - I would focus on strength training for your days at work.

My routine is set-up in two week time frames. It is a Monday, Wednesday & Friday workout of upper body/ lower body / upper body for one week and then lower body / upper body / lower body for the next week.

Try to find exercises that get several muscles at once. Examples are push-ups for chest/arms, lunges for total legs.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would work on compound moves.
    Lunges, Squats, Deadlifts they hit the most muscle and give a good burn.
    Maybe do 3 lower exercises at 10 reps for 3 sets and then do 3 upper exercises.

Example:

Lunges
    Barbell Squats w/ smith machine
    Deadlift
    Bicep Curl Dumbbell
    Tricep Extension (Standing or Seated)
    Dumbbell Chest Fly

3 sets or 10 reps
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I agree to take advantage of the gym equipment for your lifting routines, and cardio at home, since there are so many more cardio options that don't use equipment (like DVDs, jogging, walking, etc).

You could do 3 full body workouts or upper lower splits.. Or you could do upper one day, lower another day, circuit on the third day......You can get a lot accomplished in 45 minutes ;)
  • NoahStellaMom
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, everybody!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Example:

Lunges
    Deadlift
    Bicep Curl Dumbbell
    Dumbbell Chest Fly

3 sets or 10 reps

I agree with compound lifts, though I wouldn't recommend a Smith Machine.
  • adamsonam
    adamsonam Posts: 127
    Options
    I just bought Leslie Sansone's 3 mile walk dvd with resistance bands. You have the option to do 1, 2, or 3 miles (each mile takes 15 mins) and using the bands helps to tone the upper body.

I also have a desk job so I try to do lunges/squats and what-not when I have a chance. Or just go for a quick walk on my lunch break.
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Talk to the trainer at the gym for some suggestions but I agree with the others - focus on strength and run/walk, do videos, etc, to get your cardio in during the other times when the gym isn't an option.
  • LynneBellaire
    Options
    Look into interval training on Dr. Mercola's website. I burn far more calories in 20 minutes than an hour work out the old way.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Example:

Lunges
    Deadlift
    Bicep Curl Dumbbell
    Dumbbell Chest Fly

3 sets or 10 reps

Can I ask why no smith machine??
  • melissa0724
    Options
    Jumping rope in intervals burns a good amount of calories -- it's tough but it's worth the time spent!
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rob_base
    Options
    Also, when you come home during the week, unless it is really cold or something, can't you walk with the kids (or push them in a stroller if they aren't old enough to walk themselves?)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Example:

Lunges
    Deadlift
    Bicep Curl Dumbbell
    Dumbbell Chest Fly

3 sets or 10 reps

Can I ask why no smith machine??

From different sources on strength training that I've read, the simple explanation seems to be that it's forcing your body into a movement that isn't natural for one's body. A squat isn't just up and down like the Smith Machine moves. It requires many different muscles functioning at the same time, and is not the same movement for everyone because of biomechanical differences.

I've heard it can be a helpful tool for recovery from injuries, but for a healthy person, a free weight barbell squat would be better me thinks.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have joined the gym at my work and plan to work out there 3 days a week during my lunch break. I have a 3 month old and a 2 year old that I have to drop off in the morning and pick up after work, so working out before or after work is out of the question. The only free time I have during the week is over my lunch hour OR after 8pm, and the gym closes at 7. I can also do some exercise at home on the weekends, but I don't have any weight equipment.

Anyway, when you factor in the shower & make-up/hair, I only have 40-45 minutes from start to finish. My goal is to build strength, endurance and tone. I do still have 6-7 pounds to lose, but I'm not as concerned about that as I know it will come in the next couple of months. I'm more interested in reducing my body fat percentage by quite a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to balance the cardio and strength training in that 45 minutes? I was thinking about the following:

5 minute warm-up on elliptical
    20 minutes of strength training (not sure if I should do total body every day or focus on upper body one day, lower body the next?)
    20 minutes on treadmill, elliptical or bike? or combo circuit training?

I know that 45 minutes isn't long, but it is truly all that I have at the gym so I have to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck :)

THANKS to all of you,
    Faith

This is going to sound strange, but since you have beautiful children the ages that you do, can you combine exercise with quality time with them, in the "in between times" you can't always make it to the gym?

I imagine lifting your children, in playful reps, could substitute for the weights and running/chasing them is good aerobic exercise.

Bouncing them on your knee, also good exercise you could do while watching tv with them.
  • MrsMwaura
    MrsMwaura Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also a mom with very little time for working out and same situation as you. I use a work out app on my phone in the evenings for added exercise the link is, http://www.skimble.com/workouts; my kid likes to do it with me (or pretend she is doing it). :smile:
    They have several different free selections and the concept is the same as the fitness pal app, but with workouts. You choose how intense of a work out you want.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You need fast, circuit training with weights. A lot of good ideas can be found at http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/20-minute/

Good luck!