6'2, 250lb fiance wants to only eat 1500 calories... help me

Options
My fiance is former military so is in pretty good shape. He has gained some weight over the years and wants to get back to being lean. He wants me to count the calories for his meals for him and stay at 1500 calories a day. He is 6'2 and 250 lbs. I try to tell him this is way too few calories but he just wants to lose weight quick. He claims he can lose 10 lbs a week because he has a super fast metabolism. Please give me some ides on how to back up the fct that this is NOT healthy.

Replies

• mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What you really need to do is tell him to count his own darn calories. Why should you do it for him. That's the first problem. He needs to take responsibility for his own weight loss.

As to him eating 1500 a day, if he is hell bent on it, good luck getting him to do otherwise. My husband was the same except he was 6'2" and 311. Once he started to see how bad he felt on that few calories he started eating more. Your husband will figure it out. It's not up to you to change his mind. Just mention that it's too few calories, tell him why and then be done with it.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I am 6'1" and around 250, I do have plenty of days I eat less than 1500 Cal, not because I want to, but because I am full.

It is his choice, just be ready to support him if it fails, don't say I told you so, encourage him to change and make better choices, but if he is determined to eat so little, let min try. I think he will discover his metabolism is not so super anymore
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    I count for him because I make all his meals. I stay at home with our daughter, so I make the meals. It is easier to measure and notate as I cook. I don't mind doing it, really.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're counting couldn't you just feed him as many calories has you want? :devil:

Ok that's not exactly the basis for an honest relationship, but seriously-- maybe he'll start at 1500 and figure out it's not enough. I seriously doubt he'll lose 10 lbs a week. I wouldn't sweat it too much.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Let go of the illusion of control... he will figure it out :flowerforyou:
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What's MFP saying he should be eating? If he has a sedentary Job, a 2lb a week loss probably is 1500 calories.
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    I am 6'1 and was 230 pounds. I ate around 1500 and did a lot of running. It worked for me. Everyone is different.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    When I started I was 6'5 260 and my calorie goal was about 1,800, I averaged about 1,900 and have lost 17 pounds in a month.
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i learnt a long time ago that if a man is hell bent on doing something, they will do it no matter wat u say! just support him and let him figure this out for himself
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    he should be probably closer to about 1800ish.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Tell him to do it himself!
  • Cassi1990
    Cassi1990 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What you really need to do is tell him to count his own darn calories. Why should you do it for him. That's the first problem. He needs to take responsibility for his own weight loss.

This^^^
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I count for him because I make all his meals. I stay at home with our daughter, so I make the meals. It is easier to measure and notate as I cook. I don't mind doing it, really.
    I do this as well because I am the only one that cooks out of the two of us..( I work alot though).plus I cook everything from scratch....Alot of people don't really understand why women spoil their hubbies like that....but I do because he deserves it:) I would just make sure he's getting enough nutrients, but 1500 cals seems okay to me. If he's starving then make something satisfying, but HEALTHY and low cal. Hope this helped a little.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Since YOU'RE the one counting the calories for him, can't you just feed him more than 1500 (but create enough of a deficit for him to lose) and not tell him?
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree that he should do the tracking himself. That is way too few calories for a man that size. The quicker he loses that weight, he will only gain it even faster when he stops "dieting." He needs a lifestyle change, it the weight needs to come off slowly at 2 pounds a week. This is the healthiest way to lose weight, plus you risk having excess skin if you lose too quickly.
  • bigtone34
    bigtone34 Posts: 136
    Options
    Those are my numbers as well. I eat between 1400-1700 a day.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

^ This. Times 412.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i learnt a long time ago that if a man is hell bent on doing something, they will do it no matter wat u say! just support him and let him figure this out for himself

Yeah, we tend to be headstrong, but in the end the wife is usually right.

I thought everyone already knew that though. LOL
  • KAB0
    KAB0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My father at 6'4" 385 lbs has been on about 1500 calories a day for over a year and it has helped him lose over 100lbs. 1500 is not great for someone who is super active, but for people who generally do desk jobs is is generally sufficient. I would not recommend having a high activity level during this, but maintain a moderate activity level and he shoudl be fine. The main thing is that if he is very hungry at the end of the day then he may need a few more calories for his activity level. If he is satisified (maybe a tiny bit hungry) at the end of the day then he is probalby at a good enough level to lose weight.
    As others said if his body thinks it is being starved, his metabolism will slow down which will affect him more in the long run once hs stops the "diet".

Good luck to him!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    He is going to get burnt out extremely quickly and probably won't maintain the loss.
    Slow and steady is proven more effective!