Any exciting salad ideas?

Options

Replies

• vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    When someone "bumps" a topic it shows on their "My Topics" on their home page so it's easier to come back to and also puts it in "Recent Topics" too so it stays more current.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    2 Cups of raw kale
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    1/4 cup (more or less depending what you like) of chopped garlic
    1/4 tablespoon of lemon juice
    1/4 cup of shaved parmesan
    croutons
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix up the olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt & pepper and cheese
    Cover the kale really well
    let sit for about 5-7 minutes then eat!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    My family never gets tired of this simple salad and it can be made in a minute! So here it is: spinach leaves or spring mix; 2 T crumbled, reduced fat blue cheese; 1-2 T chopped walnuts; 2 T craisins; and a few sliced fresh mushrooms. Serve with a little fruit vinaigrette (strawberry balsamic last night) and enjoy!
  • AliG69
    AliG69 Posts: 12
    Options
    Grate 2 raw beetroot, add a chopped onion, handful of sultanas, black pepper and healthy sprinkly of basil. Mix with 1TBSP olive oil and 1TBSP lemon juice. Yum.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds !!
  • lawkenn
    Options
    I love caprese salads. I use baby spinach, sliced tomatoes (that have salt and pepper sprinkled on), fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. Then I drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top. Delish!
  • cabannie
    Options
    I do mixed greens, 1 - 2.5 oz. pack of tuna, cooked green beans, tomato, hard boiled egg, 4-6 black olives, maybe some green onions, with balsamic vinegar dressing. My husband likes this too.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Here are a couple more

When peaches are in season: greens, crisped prosciutto, blue cheese, ripe peaches

Any strongly flavoured greens (like kale) with a tart fresh lemon juice crushed garlic and olive oil dressing

Roasted beets, oranges and fennel

Off to make salad!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I posted a ton of salad ideas on my MFP blog a couple days ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/maremare312/view/salad-ideas-202639
  • kitkat9138
    Options
    Try adding to your usual salads:

tahini sauce, tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar, and squirt of siracha
    roasted vegetables
    1/4 cup brown rice or quinoa
    cranberries or raisins
    warmed chicken breast or tuna
    apple slices, oranges, or berries

when i get really bored with my salads, i will roast a HUGE pan of vegetables - celery, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, peppers, anything you have, and keep them stocked in my fridge. warm up a cup and add to your salad throughout the week. especially in the winter - the warm veggies are comforting on a cold salad.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you'll find this as exciting as I do, but I am currently in love with this salad:

I fill a large container with a pre-washed lettuce mix (I buy pre-washed simply because if I find a squished bug in between the leaves, I will likely be unable to eat any of it--I am far less likely to find little critters in the pre-packaged stuff). I buy a combination of romaine, red cabbage, and shredded carrot which is amazing for colour. I then shell my own walnuts (5 of them) and break them up into small pieces and sprinkle those over the salad. I put in 15 g of grated marble cheese and one thin slice of red onion (which is then diced). Just before I am ready to eat it, I toss in 1/4 cup of croutons and 1 tbsp of light peppercorn ranch dressing, then I cover and shake the container until it is all mixed. For the size of the salad, the dressing is barely there, is hardly any calories, and gives it just a bit of flavour (it is already quite flavourful on its own).
  • lilady952
    lilady952 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    apple cucumber salad

1 cucumber
    2 apple (preferable tart apples)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 green onion, chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon honey
    4 tablespoons yoghurt
    fresh dill
  • divinehostess
    divinehostess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love this sesame soy edamame salad. It can be eaten alone or with a yummy protein like salmon: https://divinehostess.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/cool-edamame-garbanzo-salad/
  • AP2o12
    AP2o12 Posts: 20
    Options
    Roasted pear thinly sliced with slice's of bree and finely sliced red onion on top, crumble toasted walnuts, black pepper and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to finnish. Truely yummy!!!!

Thanks! Going to try this one, sounds amazing!! (minus the onions, bleh) lol
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    jalapenos!!! pickles!! chillis, all give it that "kick" that keeps the taste buds going. usually in my salads i put

lettuce
    onion
    tomato
    spring onion
    bell peppers
    beetroom
    pickled onions
    some sweetcorn
    some cut up chicken slices or ham slices
    some low fat coleslaw
    jalapenos
    gerkins / pickles

no extra sauce or anything coz i find that natural juices from beetroot etc and coleslaw is plenty
    mmmmmmm :) xxx
  • AP2o12
    Options
    All of these salad ideas are great- but perhaps just changing the topping isnt going to be dramatic enough to feel like a different salad.

try changing your base.. either NO base (so no lettuce and just chop up tomatos, cucs, olives, basil)
    or simply change your greens out. so many different leafy greens out there, butter lettuce, raddichio, arugula, spinach, swiss chard, endive..

i just feel like if you keep your base constant, it will always feel like the same salad in a different costume.
    try changing the essence of the salad and it will feel like a totally different meal!

or maybe change the temperature! grilled zuchs, mushrooms, green beans, .. that can be "salad" too!

dont limit yourself :)

Love this! That's so true...I always buy the same greens, I want to try Arugula as I hear it's a more peppery green. I definitely think changing up the greens will make a huge difference. Thanks for the idea! :)
  • hkmamma
    Options
    I love throwing in brocoli slaw into my tossed salads for a great crunch!
  • AP2o12
    Options
    2 Cups of raw kale
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    1/4 cup (more or less depending what you like) of chopped garlic
    1/4 tablespoon of lemon juice
    1/4 cup of shaved parmesan
    croutons
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix up the olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt & pepper and cheese
    Cover the kale really well
    let sit for about 5-7 minutes then eat!

YUM! This salad sounds so savory and just perfect! Think this will be on my list to try next! ;)
  • greeneyedaries
    greeneyedaries Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am so tired of eating salads, so I have found that the days I eat soups I put my salad into my soup and it wilts it down. It is really good. No dressings need..
  • AP2o12
    Options
    Loving all these ideas! I finally tried a new salad last night based on some of the responses and it was AMAZING! I used organic mixed greens, topped it with a salmon burger, 1/2 cup brown rice and black bean mix which i seasoned with garlic and cumin, and topped with 2 T tahini sauce as dressing. Loved it!

Also...had this wrap the other day which I want to make a salad out of, it had lettuce, sprouts, beets, shredded carrots, cucumber, and a green goddess dressing, it was delicious!! Can't wait make it!

Thanks again for all the ideas! :)