FITBIT or FITBUG - which one?

Options
Hoping to get some advice if possible..

I am currently looking at purchasing either a FITBIT (now links to MFP) or a FITBUG - both are available in the UK and seem similar, but I was wondering if anyone else has either or these or knows of them both and could recommend either?

Many thanks in advance MFPers for any advice..

Replies

• aNEWmarcus
    Options
    Wow not one response - I do find that unusual, but fair enough.. I'll google more and just decide from there..
  • princessjarvis
    Options
    Let me know how you get on as i need a new HRM but really cant decide :-\
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt use either, I would use the Ki-fit as it uses skin sensors to measure calories burnt etc
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have a Fitbit and it is excellent, it is really interesting to see how much you move naturally during the day, it also allows you to work out how much exercise you need to do to hit your goal.

I've purchased the premium package on the fitbit site and that is setting me a training (number of activity calories to burn) schedule each week so I find that really helpful.

I don't know about the fit bug, but the fact that the fitbit synch's with this site makes it all the more user friendly to me.

Hope that helps a bit

B
  • princessjarvis
    Options
    Also the fit bit is on two easy payments on the Ideal World website, meaning £40 now and £39 on 29/02/2012 (if this helps)
  • ianrookb
    Options
    I too have the Fitbit and would totally agree that it makes you really think about how much you move around. I've even found myself parking further from the entrance to supermarket to try and get some more steps in. How sad am I?
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I have a question... can you wear FitBit during any other exercise like kick-boxing, etc.?

Because you can only clip it to your trousers and it doesn't come with a wrist strap or anything..
  • DanFromTheInternet
    Options
    I haven't tried fitbit but I've got a fitbug and I know that fitbug has been around since 2005. They've had more time to hone their member experience and their stuff just works better. Also it looks like they're offering a two year membership for 50ukpounds or $50 if you live stateside. Hope this helps.
    Dan
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    ive got a fitbit, i got it on launch day in the Uk and i love it, it integrates here, has helped me increase my steps already and improve my sleep efficiency, it comes with a belt clip, and wrist strap for night times, in the gym i hook it to the neck of my vest top.

i REALLY like it.
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was going back and forth on which one to buy and I ended up getting the Fitbit and I love it. It's just that little push you need to get you moving and meeting your daily goals.
  • princessjarvis
    Options
    ive got a fitbit, i got it on launch day in the Uk and i love it, it integrates here, has helped me increase my steps already and improve my sleep efficiency, it comes with a belt clip, and wrist strap for night times, in the gym i hook it to the neck of my vest top.

i REALLY like it.

Do you find it tracks what you burn whilst exercising correctly??

I aim to but 700 cals a session but im alwas sceptical that my calorie burns are accurate x
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options

i REALLY like it.

I aim to but 700 cals a session but im alwas sceptical that my calorie burns are accurate x

hmm this is a toughy really... i get a calorie adjustment most days from it as i have my MFP set as sendentary however my work days vary depending on whether im in the office or out and about.

i eat roughly half my exercise cals back, but the fitbit only measures overall burn, not specific activities because when linked to MFP you put your food and activity in here, not fitbits dashboard.

one example is weight training, i cant really measure it in either so it sjust on top, that way if it is overestimating then ive got some wiggle room.

hope that makes sense?
  • karenlesley47
    karenlesley47 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbug but to be honest im not over impressed, the bug works fine but is just a pedometer & nothing more, the site its self is ok but the food & exercise lists are very limited no where near as extensive as MFP. You can add your own food onto your profile but its a bit long winded. All I tend to do now is load my steps & extra non bug activity on.
  • princessjarvis
    Options

i REALLY like it.

hmm this is a toughy really... i get a calorie adjustment most days from it as i have my MFP set as sendentary however my work days vary depending on whether im in the office or out and about.

i eat roughly half my exercise cals back, but the fitbit only measures overall burn, not specific activities because when linked to MFP you put your food and activity in here, not fitbits dashboard.

one example is weight training, i cant really measure it in either so it sjust on top, that way if it is overestimating then ive got some wiggle room.

hope that makes sense?

Yeah that makes sense :) see i always have my MFP set to maintainence as i go off my BMR - 600 cals a day and burn an extra 3500 through exercise so im looking at 2lbs a week loss as 1200 cals is no go for me im too moody without food ha ha x
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I got the FITBIT about a week ago and LOVE it! It's pretty accurate on stairs. Not positive about steps taken. Calorie count seems pretty good, too. Love the sleep measurement feature, which I believe is also accurate.

It's easy and fast to sync.

One disappointment is the food logging-- far fewer choices than MFP has. It's a pain to log food. I've been hesitant to sync with MFP because I don't log miscellaneous walking on MFP. The only exercise I log here is REAL exercise. But Fitbit clocks everything you do. I don't want MFP to give me an inflated activity level.

Good luck with your choice!
  • Ginni22
    Options
    You can hoot it to your sports bra, and I am pretty sure you can buy something to keep it on also!
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    I got the FITBIT about a week ago and LOVE it! It's pretty accurate on stairs. Not positive about steps taken. Calorie count seems pretty good, too. Love the sleep measurement feature, which I believe is also accurate.

It's easy and fast to sync.

One disappointment is the food logging-- far fewer choices than MFP has. It's a pain to log food. I've been hesitant to sync with MFP because I don't log miscellaneous walking on MFP. The only exercise I log here is REAL exercise. But Fitbit clocks everything you do. I don't want MFP to give me an inflated activity level.

Good luck with your choice!

You can link up Fitbit and MFP now, so much easier.

I use MFP for food and it sends the calories over to Fitbit Dashboard and let Fibit Dashboard feed my calorie burn back to here.
  • Joyja1075
    Joyja1075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit but am not too familiar with the fitbug. But from what I can read on the website, the fit bit may be a better choice. I love that the fitbit can clip on to anything (personally I clip it to my bra). Also, to sync it with my PC, i don't need to plug it into anything. It does it wirelessly and the batter last about 10 days before it needs to be recharged. Even that only takes about an hour to bring it back up.

I've checked my fitbit against the Wii Zumba program and the calories burn are quite inline with each other which leads me to believe that fitbit is quite accurate.

I am very happy with mine and I love it that MFP integrates so seamlessly with it.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm unconvinced on the FitBit, having some positive and some negative experiences. I got it for free when we purchased a Kinect after Christmas and I thought it was pretty cool. 3 days later, when the cover popped off and I had to engineer it back together with some tape, I was glad I did not spend $100 on it.

I did like the activity level measurement. I have my MFP settings at lightly active and that's always concerned me. Am I really lightly active? FitBit has confirmed that I am; some days even truely active.

My favorite feature on the FitBit is the sleep efficiency measurement. I am not a very efficient sleeper and have been trying different things to improve that. It's nice to have a concrete way to measure.

I do not like that FitBit is really only a motion sensor so it cannot meaure activity from small movements like weight training, crunches, push ups, planks, etc. I sometimes do ballet exercises and it doesn't measure that well either.

The FitBit website overestimates your optimal calorie intake. There is a FitBit Users Group on MFP and that's a major complaint. If you set your goals on MFP to 1lb loss/week, you need to set your goals on FitBit to ~1.5lb loss per week to get the same calorie estimation.

I tried the FitBit Trainer program free for a week and would definately not spend money on that. All the program did was set higher and higher activity goals without really giving concrete ways to do that.

For the price, I think you can get a good HRM that will be more efficient at estimating your calorie burn through out the day. It is a pretty cool little gadget but not worth the $$ IMO.
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    I got mine free, so I guess that makes it seem more attractive to me.