Deadlift Form

Options
So, I need ideas on how I can improve my form on deadlifts. It's not the worst form ever but my back's definitely rounded. The problem is, to me it feels fine and I had no idea until my bf filmed it (he's not the best judge on form so I had to see it for myself)

Another problem is, I can drop the weight considerably, to a weight that I feel really comfortable doing for around 10 reps or more, and it's still bad. I would never have guessed form was an issue for this as it's not a challenging weight and it feels easy. It seems like the only time my form is perfect is when using just the bar, and I could go on and on forever with that so what's the point? I want to be able to challenge myself but it's like whenever it gets even the tiniest bit hard, my form goes to sh1t! :/

What I used to do: Train on around 80-85kg, 60kg is my light weight I usually did a couple of sets on at the end. My 1RM was 100kg as of the beginning of January. I've always known my form wouldn't be great on the heavier weights but I don't test 1RM's often so it didn't worry me. It's the fact it's bad on even lower weights that's annoying.
Now I'm just training on 60kg, trying my best to keep form good although I can't tell for sure when I'm by myself. I really don't want to go lower than that as I feel it doesn't do much. I did around 4 sets today, then did around 4 sets of rack pulls as my back was starting to ache (it felt better after that) but not sure if they'll help as it's the first part of the lift that's hardest for me.

My squats are fine in comparison (50-60kg depending on whether it's to parallel or really low) so I know that's not the problem, although I'm always trying to improve on those.

Any ideas on things I could do to improve form would be greatly appreciated! I don't do bent over rows but I've been wondering if they might help?

Heidi

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Back rounding typically means the bar is traveling too far away from your body as you pull. The bar should be scraping your shins as you pull...wear longs socks or track pants.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Back rounding typically means the bar is traveling too far away from your body as you pull. The bar should be scraping your shins as you pull...wear longs socks or track pants.

It's not too far out. I wear trackies already and it's touching my shins the whole way up...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

It's not too far out. I wear trackies already and it's touching my shins the whole way up...

That's probably the issue, it should be.

Also, make sure your the bar is directly under your sholder blades at thr bottom position.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options

That's probably the issue, it should be.

Also, make sure your the bar is directly under your sholder blades at thr bottom position.

Thanks, I'll have to a look at the shoulder position next time I deadlift.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So what you are asking is if its okay to have bad form if it doesn't cause pain? I have no idea. Maybe have him film you and let people here offer some tips on correcting it...
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    get the bar heavier that you can lift, get into position and hold it for as long as you can, GOOD POSITION. You don't have to pick it up, just put some force into the bar while holding a strong lumbar.

Make sure your hips are above parallel, this isn't a squat you shouldn't be crazy low. Some people tend to start with their hips too low and that gets their back to round as they lift.

Get your chest up and "proud".
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    So what you are asking is if its okay to have bad form if it doesn't cause pain? I have no idea. Maybe have him film you and let people here offer some tips on correcting it...

Sometimes my lower back will start hurting on the heavier weights (80 something) after a few sets, in which I stop or lower the weight to 60kg. It's not every time though, whereas I think the form issue is all the time as I can't seem to get it right no matter what.

My back doesn't ache on 60kg though, and my form's still weird.

Next time he's there with me I'll get him to film it again so I can post on here. I stupidly deleted it last time as I only wanted a video if the form was good (and I really thought it would be - it feels like it is when I'm lifting)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    get the bar heavier that you can lift, get into position and hold it for as long as you can, GOOD POSITION. You don't have to pick it up, just put some force into the bar while holding a strong lumbar.

Make sure your hips are above parallel, this isn't a squat you shouldn't be crazy low. Some people tend to start with their hips too low and that gets their back to round as they lift.

Get your chest up and "proud".

Thanks for the tips, I'll try holding it for as long as I can :) I feel like my hips aren't too low. Kind of in the middle so my legs are being used still somewhat but not too much.

I heard about really pushing my chest up and out (and that it will help greatly) a few days ago so I tried it, but as soon as I've lifted it off the ground it's unbelievably hard to push it out. I guess I'll have to keep working on it.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yeah there are a lot of little things to have in check its what makes dead-lifting fun when you get it all right.

Are you taking the "slack" out of the bar. When you set up apply 80% of your force into the bar without lifting it, once ready give the rest and pick up the bar. This keeps you from jerking the bar up, allowing your to keep your shoulders in place as well.

Get your BELLY full of air, helps with getting your core tight. Holding your air in your chest won't give you as much core power as you'll need.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    Yeah there are a lot of little things to have in check its what makes dead-lifting fun when you get it all right.

Are you taking the "slack" out of the bar. When you set up apply 80% of your force into the bar without lifting it, once ready give the rest and pick up the bar. This keeps you from jerking the bar up, allowing your to keep your shoulders in place as well.

Get your BELLY full of air, helps with getting your core tight. Holding your air in your chest won't give you as much core power as you'll need.

Thank you :) I'll give all these tips a try next week when deadlifing again and post a video up if form's still bad so people can see a little clearer what I'm doing wrong.