Buying Lean Cuisine's

Options
I'm thinking of buying some lean cuisine's and taking them for lunch a couple days a week ...that way I can have lots of different options...any feedback...And those lean cuisine's already count your calories, sodium, carbs...everything...I also think it's much easier.

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    They're low calorie and convenient, but watch out for the sodium - they are jam packed with it.
  • DMC6282
    DMC6282 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love them! But I would limit them to only a few times a week. I once started eating them everyday and got really bad dizzy spells and headaches. I think it was too much sodium. But they are very tasty. Just tried the shrimp scampi tonight. Very good. Also u may wanna eat a salad or piece of fruit with it to fill u up.
  • megaron01
    megaron01 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat Lean Cuisines/Healthy Choice frozen entrees 3-4 times a week for lunch, but I usually add a cup of frozen veggies & a homemade turkey burger patty to add fiber/protein to the meal. Just one of those meals just wouldn't cut it for me. It's got a good amount of sodium, but waaayyyyy less than fast food. Good luck!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Under Culinary Collection- I like
    Three Cheese Stuffed Rigatoni 38 carbs 570 sodium
    Chicken and Vegetables 29 carbs and 580 sodium

Under Cafe Cuisine
    Grilled Chicken Caesar 30 carbs and 530 sodium

They are all under 300 cal and 6 g of fat
    I always look for the ones with the lowest carbs and sodium.

I add extra frozen veggies left over from dinners to make them more filling without adding a lot of calories and sodium. Add a side salad with a little dressing.

The are better then a deli sandwich.
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    I take one every day. If you are worried about Sodium, which I am not, there are some newer varieties with less, just look at the box. It beats going out every day & I don't feel like preparing a lunch.
  • MissSunshine51
    Options
    They are fine and when you go to track your food they are listed in the menu, I have them every once in awhile. But you are right look at the package and pic the one's that are less in calories, fat and sodium they are dummy proof. Oh an look on the package for a coupon that says if you buy 6 you get a free box of Skinny Cow Ice Creams, they are only 140 calories and they are amazing. That way you can treat yourself for doing so well. Good luck in your challenge. T
  • livelovelaugh12
    Options
    Those are yummy and easy except too much salt. Bad if you have high BP. Eat some banans that will help to lower your BP. I like to make a salad and add 2 slices of lean turkey or chicken lunch meat, a few walnuts, some craisins.. A splash of low fat dressing. Grab some apples, pears or peaches, which also taste great in a salad or by themselves. I also like peanut butter, almond butter or sunflower butter sandwiches and jelly with whole wheat bread. Raw carrots to attempt to replace the chips.
  • RachelHoglen
    Options
    They do contain quite a bit of sodium but I hear upping your water intake can help.
    I found this tip on Livestrong.com

The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends that Americans consume no more than 2,300mg of sodium daily. Due to an influx of processed foods, many people consume more than that. High-sodium diets lead to heart disease and high blood pressure according to the American Heart Association. Salt also causes the body to retain water, which can cause bloating. Flush sodium from your body with water. Contrary to popular belief, water does not cause bloating, but sodium does. Drinking more water reverses the effect.

Hope this helps :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    They do contain quite a bit of sodium but I hear upping your water intake can help.
    I found this tip on Livestrong.com

The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends that Americans consume no more than 2,300mg of sodium daily. Due to an influx of processed foods, many people consume more than that. High-sodium diets lead to heart disease and high blood pressure according to the American Heart Association. Salt also causes the body to retain water, which can cause bloating. Flush sodium from your body with water. Contrary to popular belief, water does not cause bloating, but sodium does. Drinking more water reverses the effect.

Hope this helps :)

Im going to go ahead and think of this as one of the commandments for me because my sodium is always over !!!!!!! Since watching my diary at least im learning where all the sodium comes from THANK YOU
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I work from home so every meal I eat is at home. I typically like to eat fresh but ya know what? Sometimes I just want to throw something in the microwave and be done with it. I like the lean cuisine stuff, as a matter of fact, my husband is out of town and I had a Lean Cuisine - Spa Cuisine - Thai-Style Noodles With Chicken, for dinner tonight, OMG it is crazy good!

The thing about them is they are small portions, so it is important to me to have a salad and piece of fruit when I have them.

Hey, they are better than a whopper with cheese any day of the week.
  • mdulanto9177
    Options
    thanks for the input...I also tend to be eating the same salads over and over...got any good ideas for me?
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I bought them for lunch recently and i was pretty satisfied with them...they work for me :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input...I also tend to be eating the same salads over and over...got any good ideas for me?

Spinach salad?

2 cups spinach
    1 chopped up hard boiled egg
    1 teaspoon bacos (the fake bacon bits)
    between 1 and 2 tablespoons poppy seed dressing

YUM!
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a few for emergencies only. I try really hard not to eat them for 2 reasons: Sodium and the fact that they never fill me up. I'm always hungry an hour later.

But as I said, I keep a few on hand for emergencies. When we have no food and I need to pack a lunch for work. Or if I screwed up my night and I'm too far behind schedule to cook a nice dinner.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    If I were you, I would skip them. They are high in sodium and almost all of them have grains(pasta,rice,etc). Plus all kinds of preservatives and additives. Instead, use one of your days off and make freezer meals. They are meals you make ahead of time and can heat in the microwave whenever you want. I make about 30 servings of homemade soup in one day and that way I always have a fallback meal(plus I LOVE soup). But there are tons of recipes out there. Burritos, meatloaf, lasagna, you name it. Just make sure to wrap your burritoes and meatloaf servings in a damp paper towel that way they don't hard. Trust me, you can make a much more satisfying meals and save tons of money.
  • Jessica0982
    Options
    Salads....

I buy the bagged lettuce from Publix. (Spring Mix - 2 cups is like nothing in calories!)

I'll put shrimp on it with some balsamic dressing.

I'll buy frozen chicken patties (1 = 200 calories) and some salad dressing. I used to put mandarin oranges on this but since logging foods I see they're LOADED in sugar. So I avoid them and it makes me sad. LOL. That was my favorite salad.

I'll buy turkey, chicken, or ham from the deli (low sodium) and roll it up and cut it up to put on my lettuce. With some cucumbers or tomatoes and of course, dressing.

A tomato sliced up with a bowl of tuna fish. Sometimes I'll throw it on some lettuce.

I love salad. I eat it for lunch almost every day! It's fast, it's easy, and a low calorie meal.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    They are great for emergencies or on really hectic days but like the other's said packed with sodium, I would not eat them often. I'm finding that it's always best to prepare your own meals as much as you can so you know exactly what your putting in it!
  • Jessica0982
    Options
    If I were you, I would skip them. They are high in sodium and almost all of them have grains(pasta,rice,etc). Plus all kinds of preservatives and additives. Instead, use one of your days off and make freezer meals. They are meals you make ahead of time and can heat in the microwave whenever you want. I make about 30 servings of homemade soup in one day and that way I always have a fallback meal(plus I LOVE soup). But there are tons of recipes out there. Burritos, meatloaf, lasagna, you name it. Just make sure to wrap your burritoes and meatloaf servings in a damp paper towel that way they don't hard. Trust me, you can make a much more satisfying meals and save tons of money.

Silly question - when you freeze this stuff do you put them in freezer bags or containers??
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    They have tons of sodium but it's so easy for lunch during work days to just pop one in the microwave! I have either Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones about 3x a week sometimes. They taste pretty good & they fill me up.
  • camayallover
    camayallover Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know I'm the anomoly but because I travel and do not have access to a frig I buy them for both lunch and dinner exclusively during the week. I have extremely high blood pressure and am "salt sensitive" so I mapped out how much sodium they have first, and then wrapped low sodium alternatives around it.

In 3 weeks I've lost 12 pounds so I'm happy it is working - but I don't recommend ignoring the salt content. I find they fill me up but I'm doing 5 meals a day - in between I do meal replacement bars and greek yogurt for breakfast. Both low in sodium.

I also have reduced my blood pressure substantially since starting this eating pattern - which I love - so it can be done if you do the math.

I find them a staple and eat 12 a week...as long as you know exactly what is in them and you are accounting for it - they can work well especially for those of us re-learning portion control.

Good luck!