Not getting compliments

Options
Just Venting....

I work with 2 other women and a younger male in a casual clothed office. As I lose weight, I'm fitting into my older clothes. When I was younger and thinner, I worked at an office that was more "business" type so I had lots of women's suits. I'm beginning to fit into these suits AND NOBODY has said anything except for 1 time - the 1st time!!!!

I'm walking in everyday with a new (new to them) outfitl I feel GREAT! and I'm not getting any acknowledgments from them!!!!!!

a.) I don't expect much from the guy.
b.) maybe they don't fell like throwing me a parade everyday that I walk in because I'M FEELING SO AMAZING
c.) the girls do have COMPLETELY different tastes in clothes as I do.
d.) the girls are both trying to lose weight as well but aren't doing as well as I am.
e.) the clothes I'm wearing are 7 years OLD!!!! But can a busines suit be that out of fashion???

Just venting! I'm not saying anything bad about them & I don't want to rub it in their faces, I just LOVE MFP! Thank you!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you feel good who cares. There just jealous.:heart:
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Damn, you look good!

There ya go <3
  • tinastanley
    tinastanley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    noone started saying anything to me until I lost 20 lbs.. I agree.. as long as you feel good keep up whatever you've been doing. People will soon notice and sompliment you. :happy:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss.
    If people you lived and worked with were good at discussing and acknowledging weight issues, then this website would be out of budiness.
    Sometimes, some people get very upset when people say things so most people choose to not say anything.
  • kravmom
    kravmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depending on your size, it usually takes a 20 to 30 pound weight loss before people notice.
  • DeannaMEdwards
    Options
    Good for you!! They are probably jealous. Don't let them get you down! Keep up the good work!
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I found that no one in my day to day life mentioned losing the baby weight, but when I saw parents from my girls school that I hadn't seen in MONTHS they were shocked and complimented me ;) Make plans with someone you haven't seen in 6 months!
  • joeysims
    Options
    It's often hard for women to compliment other women because we tend to be so competetive with each other. Don't read too much into it and make sure you compliment their noticeable achievements too. The more positive your spreading around the more people will pick up on it and send it back your way! I enjoy compliments so much I try to dish em out as often as I can. :)
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I work with a bunch of men, and the only one who said anything to me after losing 25 pounds 2 years ago was the female receptionist. Once. Don't take it personally. Most people are usually so absorbed with their own life, work, problems that they don't pay attention to much else. It isn't that they don't care, it is probably because they are just too busy.

Post your before and after pics on here - we'll support you!
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    congrats on your transformation! im sure you will get complimented if you go all out one day like friday and they will for sure notice. maybe do your makeup differently or wear a different hairstyle. if they dont compliment you then, they be haters lol
  • auntienay
    Options
    Maybe they don't like your suits. I'm just sayin' They may fit you fine, but after seven years, maybe they're dated and no one wants to hurt your feelings. If you lost weight then maybe it's time to treat yourself to an updated look. Dump the old clothes and look to the future you. I'm sure she's a knockout.
  • MattRomero
    Options
    Don't think much of it, just remember that as long as you like how you look its all that matters! :)
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitant to comment on anyone's appearance -- for good or bad -- in the workplace.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My office is all women and we are all complimentary with each other, so I guess it just depends on the dynamics of the office. I know for me it was 30 lbs after when you could definitely tell a big difference. Don't sweat it, as long as you are feeling good that's what matters.
  • star7092
    Options
    I don't get many compliments either, but you should compliment yourself.. I know I was thrilled when I put on a sweater this morning for work and its looser and fits really good... It feels great to loose weight and you should be proud of yourself!
  • jeni_Giedd
    Options
    I, too, am able to wear "old" clothes. It's like finding a whole new closet and wardrobe! If you feel great, then FEEL GREAT!!! Don't let others bother you!:bigsmile:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Do you ever compliment any of them on any thing? Typically people treat others how they are treated themselves. You can't just expect that random people will say something, even if they DO notice, especially in the workplace.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I would HATE it if my coworkers noticed and actually said something to me about it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd rather people not comment.

However, take a pic of yourself in the AM and send it to your BFF/Mom/Sister, they'll tell you how great you look. That's what friends/family are for!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If it helps, my own boyfriend didn't notice me GAIN 5kgs (12 pounds) despite gaining it quite rapidly.

It's not really kosher to mention a person's weight one way or the other in an office environment because it's personal and some would hate to have their weight mentioned.

Great work on losing so much. :D 5kg is a big deal and you definitely should be feeling great about it!