Soft tissue damage and a small stress fracture in foot

Options
In October, I hurt my foot in the shower on one of those huge gallon-sized shampoo bottles that had a pump on top. I lifted my foot, and right in between my last toe and the second to last toe. Well, I finally had the opportunity to go to the doctor, where he did an x-ray and found a small stress fracture and said that I had soft tissue damage right in the spot that I hit.

I can't believe that I'm still in pain, still have difficulty doing things (God forbid I walk barefoot), and after all this time, no pain relief, even when I take something for the pain. It's gotten so bad, I can't even get on the elliptical anymore, and that's the only thing that I really loved to do.

Has anyone else had soft tissue damage? What can I do for it, other than just wait it out? I was told to NOT massage it (even though it gives temporary relief) because it can inflame the tissue. The only thing that helps me is wearing a good, supportive shoe, but I hate wearing my shoes all day, 7-days a week. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :(
  • Cslicemarie
    Options
    Did the doctor recommend heat and or ice? I've heard using heat/ ice/back to heat is supposed to encourage blood flow which may help with the healing process....

Anyone else have any suggestions??
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    I was just told to stay off until the pain subsided, and take ibuprofen, max of 800mg 3 times a day. Nothing was said about heat or ice.

I was kinda baffled why I wasn't recommended to a podiatrist....
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If there is a fracture there, it makes sense not to massage it - you don't want to disturb it as it heals.
    Usually I would try ice for something where there is inflammation - this can help with pain and reduce swelling.
    Maybe check this with your doctor. And you could ask for a referral to a physio or podiatrist, but with a fracture you really have to rest and wait for it to heal.

Although now I've reread your email - if the injury was 3 months ago and still causing pain then I would be asking for a referral, it is clearly not going away on its own.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    The strange thing is that there's no visible signs of injury. No bruise, no swelling, nothing.

My husband said for me to wait another week, and then call to make a follow up with the family doc, and ask what else I can do. This is hindering just doing simple things, like walking, and going up and down stairs, which is bad because I live in a tri-level house.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds really annoying, as well as painful.
    I think your husband is right - give it a little while, take that neurofen (which is an anti-inflammatory) and maybe try icing it to see if that helps. But if you don't see any change in a week or so I would definitely look for more input.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it! I'm just so frustrated because I wanna work out, I wanna walk the trails, I wanna get on the elliptical.... but I can't do a thing. I can't even really do the laundry because I can't carry the heavy loads up and down the stairs. A load takes me a day and a half to do: I set a basket of clothes outside of the bedroom door, hubby takes it down in the morning. I wash it, and dry it, fold it, and I have to wait until the next morning to put it away because he takes it up when he goes to bed at night. (We work conflicting schedules, so that's our system for the time being.)

I hate feeling so helpless. I hate feeling like I can't control these issues.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Last year I broke my toes. I don't know how. My toes just started hurting badly, then one day they went numb and I got scared. I went to the doctor. He tape my toes and told me to keep my foot elevated whenever possible. They healed in about a month.

My only suggestion is to try elevating your foot when you can.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get a second opinion, and perhaps do so with an orthopedist. I fractured my foot this summer and was misdiagnosed initially and given some bad advice. The second opinion seems to have been spot-on and I'm happy to say I'm all healed up (after time in a walking cast, very careful use, etc.).

As for healing time - bone is quicker to heal than ligaments, tendons, and cartilage. That's why ossification happens sometimes after injury - the bone starts to try to heal up torn ligaments, etc. So, the bad news is tissue damage can take quite a bit longer to heal than bone, and consequently it may be painful longer, too.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

PS: Meantime can you do any upper body and core strength training? Or if you go to a gym, maybe they have one of those hand pedal machines?
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    I do a little bit of upper body. I'm actually trying to strengthen my legs and knees more because I have dislocating kneecaps, and they're high on my list to work out, so I don't do a whole lot of upper body, but I'm going to have to, just to get something in.
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend a orthopedist. Depending on the bone & tissue & how much work it does bearing weight it can take awhile to heal correctly.. I had 2-3 different walking casts when my feet were injured.
    Remember the RICE (rest, ice, compression & elevation)
    Good luck & take it easy!