I need some advice.

Ok so I am in college, I do not have a job, and I have no money. My boyfriend who I live with just finished college, no job yet. So also, no money. For christmas our families got us a bunch of groceries meant to last us a long time so we wouldnt have to buy any more any time soon. So we got tons of rice, macaroni, mr noodles, cans of soup, chili and lots of soda crackers and ritz crackers. Is there any way I can eat these things and still healthily lose weight? We have lots of frozen veggies and stuff but theres SO much sodium in most of the stuff we have. But we just cant go out and stock up on healthy stuff. I went out when I decided to do this and bought a few things, which I shouldnt have done, but im almost out already. now I dont know what to do, so I end up not eating at all, which I know is bad. If I make a point to drink A LOT of water would that help with all the sodium? I dont know what to do :(

Replies

• mrh1227
    mrh1227 Posts: 37
    Hey, this is quite the predicament you are in, but we can work through this. First off, yes you CAN drink lots of water to help with the high sodium levels of all the product there. Drinking water will flush the sodium out of your system.

As for the foods, just prepare them in moderate proportions. I know tons of people who are in great shape but eat terribly. It is manageable. A big thing is that with foods that are low in nutrients such as the things that were bought, you should reach for water whenever you are feeling hungry soon after you just ate. Its a temporary solution, but it'll help you from taking in too many calories a day.

Another major step, let your families know that you want to live healthier. Give them ideas as to the things that would better suit your lifestyle, that way if they ever do go out and purchase you large quantities of food again, they may be slightly healthier.

I see that you've made great progress, and I'm here to ensure that it doesn't go to waste. I'll send you a friend request and keep in contact with you so make sure you're doing alright :)
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 319 Member
    I think the more sodium you consume the more pottassium you need to balance the levels in your body (like ying and yang)

sources of high pottassium are: potatoes,beans,avocados,pumpkin seeds,anything tomato based and bananas.

and as for your water level I would suggest the 8 glasses of water per day that MFP sais.(too much water will cause an inbalance of salt levels in your body so don't drink too much though.)
  • Here's my advice: buy rice and beans/legumes in bulk. Make the beans in big batches and fridge/freeze them to eat throughout the week. Supplement this with either on-sale fresh veggies, or frozen ones. If you can find cheap cuts of lean meats like chicken or tilapia you can use that for your protein too. In my area, beans are just far cheaper.

When I was trying really hard to save money I ate pretty much the same thing (rice, beans, a vegetable) every single day for months. It was terribly boring, but it worked.

Losing weight is just about maintaining a calorie deficit, so even if you can't make the healthiest choices right now, keep a eye on your portions, drink lots of water, and you will get there.