I don't know why, but I want to like brussel sprouts...

Options

Replies

• missi1782
    Options
    Olive oil in pan with a lil water and soy sauce and steam and then throw a dash of hot sauce - yummy asian style!
  • pjlovejoy
    Options
    Roasted with olive oil kosher salt and pepper....yum!!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Roasted.....cut the little ends off, clean 'em up, toss with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper....450 deg for about 15-20 min. YUM

Roasting is good for most veggies...butternut squash is awesome. (but a pain to peel and chop)

You can also steam 'em and squeeze lemon juice on top.
    this. i also like them with just salt and pepper and steamed
  • tlayson
    tlayson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Roasted.....cut the little ends off, clean 'em up, toss with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper....450 deg for about 15-20 min. YUM

Roasting is good for most veggies...butternut squash is awesome. (but a pain to peel and chop)

You can also steam 'em and squeeze lemon juice on top.

But don't stir them at any point of the cooking process or they'll get soggy. I love brussel sprouts this way and so do my kids.
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    I dont know about brussel sprouts but I do this a lot....... I WANT to like soda water... beer, red wine etc. I get a little nuts like that. Brussel sprouts!!! Maybe this is my next thing... thanks guys
  • LorinElizebethXo
    Options
    The only way I will eat brussel sprouts!

Prepare them as usual, taking off outer leaves, etc. Marinate in a bag with olive oil, lemon juice, and black pepper. Broil in a glass baking dish, or any baking dish you usually use, until desired crunchiness. Trust me, this is wayyyyyy better than boiled sprouts! I usually estimate the marinade. It's hard to go wrong with it. About 30 to 40 minutes at 375 or 400 degrees should do the trick. Viola, roasted lemon-pepper brussel sprouts!
  • mavsgurl30
    Options
    how funny. i swear i was in the grocery store a few days ago and saw a package of brussel sprouts, and thought to myself "i've always wondered what they taste like, i should buy it." but then i don't know how to cook or prepare it lol....and then i saw this thread. i guess i'm destined to try the brussels sprouts!!
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • mzigrn
    mzigrn Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh my gosh! That was sooooo me a few months ago. I kept buying them and trying different ways to fix them. I craved them and hated every bite. Then I learned I was anemic, started taking some iron and no longer craved those nasty little things, lol.
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts, sometimes I even eat them raw. My favorite way to cook them is to cut them in half, toss them in olive oil and spices & roast them until tender.

Another way I liked and tried (although I don't do it often because of all the sugar) is carmelized brussel sprouts! These directions are pretty good: http://www.food.com/recipe/caramelized-brussels-sprouts-111662

I also love brussel sprouts in the steamer & then tossed with vinegar & butter while hot, I don't know why, but the vinegar tastes delicious on sprouts!

I hope you find a way you enjoy them! :)
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Roasted with Garlic

Rinse 1 pound sprouts. Trim the stems. Cut in 1/2 if they're big.

Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray with PAM cooking spray. Put sprouts and a Tbl or two of minced garlic cloves in bowl. Spray with PAM and toss to coat. Spread on cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for about 30ish minutes. Stir about 1/2 way through cooking. Often if I'm using larger sprouts cut in half, I will put them all cut side down and then flip them 1/2 way through cooking.

Very low calorie option. Only about 11 calories per sprout for the larger ones I have been using. (about 25g per sprout size)
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half and toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Place them in a glass bottom pan, cut side down and bake until they are a little brown and crispy on the top. Amazing. My fiance and I both love them this way!
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    http://www.andersoncooper.com/2011/11/22/jamie-oliver-thanksgiving-side-dishes/

I made Jamie Oliver's recipe a few weeks ago, it was really good.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Stir fried with cashews and a little lemon juice. x
  • dealluver
    dealluver Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to try brussel sprouts...looks like I will need to...
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Boil the brussel sprouts in a crock pot with a pot roast. TRUST ME - you will like them!!!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Here's how I cook mine.

Ingredients:
    1 lb brussel sprouts, steamed and cut in half
    4 strips bacon, crisped and chopped
    1-2 tbsp olive oil
    red pepper flakes to taste
    minced garlic to taste
    2 tbsp slivered almonds

Directions:
    Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and pepper flakes. Heat until the garlic is tender but not burnt. Add the sprouts and toss to coat. Cook the sprouts until they're a little brown and crispy. Mix with the bacon and almonds and heat through.

My family goes crazy for these.
  • trishking30
    Options
    I have tried several times to like brussel sprouts and have never found a way I liked them...until just the other day. A co-worker was telling me that she had trouble liking them and someone finally told her to steam them. She bought the zip-lock steam bags, steamed them in the microwave for about 4 minutes. Then drizzle some balsamic on them (I used Rachael Ray's balsamic drizzle) and enjoy...they were fabulous!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy gas like a freight train ripping through your intestines. :smile: hehe Honestly, though, I wouldn't eat that stuff around anyone I love.
  • AzizaBell
    Options
    i can honestly say i have never had a brussel sprout i liked. why would you WANT to like them? lol spinach and kale and other greens are good for you too and taste a heck of a lot better!:tongue::tongue: