the planned and purposeful spurge

Options
dr_tina
dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
I have been really strict with everything for the last month. Staying right at or below my calorie allotment. I have been reading a lot of planned spurges and how to use them not only to lose more weight, but also to keep it at a lifestyle change that you can live with long term.

There is significant info I have found that suggests that a planned, high calorie spurge once per week, or once very other week is actually a good thing because it will increase your metabolism, and keep your body from maintaining a homeostasis state that could stall weight loss, as the body adapts to everything. I did a similar thing with a low carb diet years ago where I was in a deficit most the week, then had high carb spurges on Saturday night and lost a ton. However, I am not a person that can do that now as I realized that cutting out carbs to that degree is not my thing!

I am considering trying it with calories, going at or below my normal allotment during the week, having a spike in calories on Saturday, and then a great deficit on Sunday. I would like to hear others opinion on this? I am not talking about going crazy, just a 500 calorie increase on what I want, then a significant deficit the next day to keep my body guessing.

I must admit that this also seems great to me because I am having more cravings for the high fat and high carb foods that I love, but I think if it can work, then that is killing two birds with one stone. Thoughts???

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    spurge? If you mean splurge, I say don't do it...just enjoy the foods you like, but use portion control and moderation!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think it's a grand idea. I have a splurge day once a week (well, sometimes more :wink: ). It's a great way to maintain balance and sanity, especially if your regular daily diet is somewhat restricted.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You never know until you try!! A lot of people on here swear by splurge days. I personally can't do them because I would just use it as an excuse to roll myself in a vat of crisco and chocolate, after which the downward spiral of my demise would be sure to follow....

You know yourself best, try it out and let us all know how it goes!
  • dr_tina
    Options
    Yes, I meant splurge!!!! Geesh! and I actually typed it several times that way....I am spelling impaired, always have been! LOL
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have a weekly splurge - "free day" - anything I want, and as much as I want.
    Breakfast and lunch.

And monthly I have a whole day set aside for a total 24 hour food orgy.
    LOVE IT!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't but that has more to do with my issues rather than anything else.

You can only try it to see if works for you, if it does, brilliant, if it doesn't go back to normal.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your relationship with food is. Not many people can handle only increasing 500 cals. Usually that ends up turning into much much more.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You never know until you try!! A lot of people on here swear by splurge days. I personally can't do them because I would just use it as an excuse to roll myself in a vat of crisco and chocolate, after which the downward spiral of my demise would be sure to follow....

You know yourself best, try it out and let us all know how it goes!
    The hardest part of "free day" is turning it off once complete.

"One more mint, Mr Creosote"?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlK62rjQWLk
  • dr_tina
    Options
    I think I can do it with out derailing, I just don't want to mess up my hard work during the week. There is really a lot of research to suggest this is really good for your metabolism. It makes a lot of sense, I guess I just have to trust it won't end up with me gaining weight. I have worked too hard to sabatoge myself
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    spurge? If you mean splurge, I say don't do it...just enjoy the foods you like, but use portion control and moderation!

This!... I eat foods I love in smaller portions, that way I never feel deprived! :)
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I've heard every ten days.... sounds reasonable to me. Mine is tomorrow. We are going out for sushi!
  • dr_tina
    Options
    I do eat small amounts of what I want at times, as I eat a little bit of chocolate daily, and I have one light beer on weekend nights.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Enjoy life! But there's no need to completely splurge. If you feel like having something, compromise with your cravings and have a little bit of it.

You won't stick to it if you can't enjoy yourself :D
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do a slpurge evening once a week (always Wednesday). Every other week includes going out for a date night dinner, where we get what we want. Then, after dinner, we go to Applebee's to play trivia (only we do trivia every week, not every other week). We always get a snack at Applebee's and a couple drinks. It is always harder the weeks we go out for dinner, but that is only twice a month and we find it really helps. It gives us a chance to feel like we are still able to live like we used to, and I think it will help us later when we are maintaining. I still try to stay as close to my calories as I can, but I always go over. I also work out to burn extra calories, giving me more to eat.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    once im a blue moon i order a good solid beef hamburger from a quality restaurant ..with fries ..i enjoy every morsel too. and at another time i crave toast with a ton of butter on it .. sometimes pizza and chicken fingers ..it varies i guess but i do indulge on occasion and try to plan it so i dont indulge the entire day and regret it the next two weeks
  • dr_tina
    Options
    what I am more curious about is the impact of the using the calorie/carb cycling as a way to increase metabolism. I get that I need to splurge occasionally to stay on the diet, that is not a question. I just want to know if anyone has effectively used this cycling of calories to increase weight loss, as it makes perfect sense that the body is going to adjust by lowering metabolism after awhile to meet the amount of calories your eating a day.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a weekly splurge - "free day" - anything I want, and as much as I want.
    Breakfast and lunch.

And monthly I have a whole day set aside for a total 24 hour food orgy.
    LOVE IT!

This ^^ :) But instead of splurges I call them something with less guilt, "Refeeds" heheh.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    i eat what i want most of the time, i just try to maintain a healthy diet, but if im having a "day" at work, i will have an extra cup or coffee & maybe chocolate
    usually thats not an issue since i eat alot of protein most days & not alot of carbs
    i do splurge on thursday which is weighday
    IF i lost, i allow myself a massive bowl of pasta
    have to have pasta or life isnt worth living
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Had my splurge/cheat day today =)
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I call it Treat Day. It's Saturday which is my weigh-in day. I have a little of everything I don't eat during the week: french fries, twizzlers, pancakes, milkshake,etc. Then Sunday, I'm back on board.