Asthma and Steroids

Options
I truly dread this and next week. I had a sever asthma attack on Monday, had to have an ambulance take me to the ER. So now I have 2 weeks of steroids to contend with. Not only do they make me hungry, but also depressed, and I can’t work out because they make me all flushed and my face feels like it on fire and my muscles hurt. Please everyone keep me in your prayers that I can at least maintain this week even if I can loose!

Replies

• babiecuddles
    babiecuddles Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I truly dread this and next week. I had a sever asthma attack on Monday, had to have an ambulance take me to the ER. So now I have 2 weeks of steroids to contend with. Not only do they make me hungry, but also depressed, and I can’t work out because they make me all flushed and my face feels like it on fire and my muscles hurt. Please everyone keep me in your prayers that I can at least maintain this week even if I can loose!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Awww sorry to hear that Babiecuddles!

I've struggled with asthma all my life - I have a nebulizar at home for emergencies and have ended up in the ER for adrenaline shots, and been on steroids more times than I care to remember.

Just FYI - I've tried a variety of preventive inhalers over the last few years, and it was not until I started taking Singulair (it's a pill, usually used for allergies) that my attacks diminshed almost entirely. I keep my albuterol on hand for ER's, but really have not used it in weeks and not ended up in the ER/steriods for 3 years. This is AMAZING for me. I think it is a combination of the medicine, eating healthy (I took out all processed crap) and exercising.

You CAN do it - take it easy while your body recovers now, and then get right back into and don't give up!

I liked to drink lots of herbal tea when I was recovering - for some reason "Sleepy Time" tea did the trick for me (must be the mint and chamomile, I think.) I also avoid corn, since that seems to be a trigger and makes me puffy.

Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

I've struggled with asthma all my life - I have a nebulizar at home for emergencies and have ended up in the ER for adrenaline shots, and been on steroids more times than I care to remember.

Just FYI - I've tried a variety of preventive inhalers over the last few years, and it was not until I started taking Singulair (it's a pill, usually used for allergies) that my attacks diminshed almost entirely. I keep my albuterol on hand for ER's, but really have not used it in weeks and not ended up in the ER/steriods for 3 years. This is AMAZING for me. I think it is a combination of the medicine, eating healthy (I took out all processed crap) and exercising.

You CAN do it - take it easy while your body recovers now, and then get right back into and don't give up!

I liked to drink lots of herbal tea when I was recovering - for some reason "Sleepy Time" tea did the trick for me (must be the mint and chamomile, I think.) I also avoid corn, since that seems to be a trigger and makes me puffy.

yeah the Singulair worked on my son too... He has Bronchial pulminary dysplasia and sevear asthma... we also have a nebuliser machine thingy at home and all that .....
    He used to be on flovent and ventolin puffers every day, but since he has been on the singulair pills in the past 2 years he has been rushed to the hospital like only 3 times (which is good for him) and as of last spring he has been taken off the flovent(goes back on when he is sick) and only takes his ventolin in emergencies!!!
    you should look into the singulair!!!

and i hope your feeling better soon:heart:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

yeah the Singulair worked on my son too... He has Bronchial pulminary dysplasia and sevear asthma... we also have a nebuliser machine thingy at home and all that .....
    He used to be on flovent and ventolin puffers every day, but since he has been on the singulair pills in the past 2 years he has been rushed to the hospital like only 3 times (which is good for him) and as of last spring he has been taken off the flovent(goes back on when he is sick) and only takes his ventolin in emergencies!!!
    you should look into the singulair!!!

and i hope your feeling better soon:heart:

Same here with the Singular, amazing little pill:smile:
  • babiecuddles
    babiecuddles Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Okay that sounds good; I will talk to my doc. about it at my next visit. We so have to get this under control. I had my first attack almost a year ago and it put me in the hospital for 3 days, then only had little bouts now and again for awhile and now this is my 2nd trip to ER in as many month, this one worse than the last. I’m not happy with the way my doc is handling it so if we don’t figure out something soon I will be finding another doc. thanks you the input.
    As for the diet I haven’t done to bad today although I could use a bite of something I feel like I’m starving.