Cooking oil help

Options
I try not to use oil for cooking BUT sometimes it has to be used!! :noway: Can anyone tell me what's a good/healthier one please??!! :flowerforyou: Thanks!

**Right now I'm using vegetable oil!**

Replies

• yestowellness
    yestowellness Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    olive, almond, or grape seed oil.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Research : Coconut oil, just a quick google search should be an eye opener!
  • Amalthia79
    Options
    Also having a ceramic interior pan means IF you have to use anything you need MUCH less!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Olive oil. I've heard canola oil as well, but I think it's debatable. I'll use canola oil for high-heat cooking sometimes though since it has a higher smoke point.
  • CalorieArson
    CalorieArson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A lot of people love coconut oil, but it has more saturated fat than just about any other kind of oil.... Olive oil is the golden standard for healthy oils, but the more useful runner up is Canola Oil. Both are high in mono-unsaturated fats, which are considered the most healthy by healthcare professionals.
  • jodemonster
    Options
    I used to use Olive oil, but it is not meant for cooking over high heat. Once it starts to smoke, it's gone bad. I only use it for dressings and dips.
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil!!!!!!!! Helps boost metabolism!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I used to use Olive oil, but it is not meant for cooking over high heat. Once it starts to smoke, it's gone bad. I only use it for dressings and dips.

This.

The higher the smoking point, the less oil is absorbed in the food. Peanut oil is superior.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I like coconut oil, butter/ghee, and bacon grease. :bigsmile:

(I'm serious.)
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil cooking spray. It has zero calories!
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil!!!!!!!! Helps boost metabolism!

Totally agree. It is a fantastic oil and PERFECT for people with thyroid issues, since it helps regulate it. Wonderful stuff.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Grape seed oil is better for you than olive oil and can be used at much higher heat, it has a light flavor, I like it a lot.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil! It doesn't make your stuff take like coconuts.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    why don't you use any of the PAM spray cooking oils? i use the olive oil one and it has no cals/fat and tastes fine. I also use a non-stick pan so sometimes i dont even use oil. If you don't have a non-stick pan then use water. foods won't be as tasty but you can get the saute effect by using little bits of water along the way as you cook.
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    I try to stick with Olive Oil as well, but like others mention you just have to be careful not to use it when cooking on high heat.
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    Grape seed oil is better for you than olive oil and can be used at much higher heat, it has a light flavor, I like it a lot.

I'm going to try to find some next time I go to the store. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Research : Coconut oil, just a quick google search should be an eye opener!

This is a true statement ... google it ! :)
  • pkthv1
    pkthv1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot of things in Kraft Zesty Free Italian Dressing.... use it as I would oil... gives a great taste to chicken and is amazing if you make canned salmon into salmon patties. Try it and let me know what you think!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i 99% of the time dry fry and the rest of the time i use olive oil!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options

This.

The higher the smoking point, the less oil is absorbed in the food. Peanut oil is superior.

This is why I am trying to switch to coconut oil, can be used for high heat cooking, but I can never find it at the grocery store. Any tips?