Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Exercise and a snack?

I'm pretty busy so the only time I get 2 work out is between 8-10 at night. Usually I eat a snack afterwards to "repair" my body. Not only that but i'm usually pretty hungry after the work out. I have read it is not good to eat after 6-7 in the afternoon. So do I quit the snack???? Or does the workout make-up for the late night munchie. (I usually eat one egg-for protein, or a nutri grain bar) Just a little something to feed my hunger. Thanks!

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    I think that night eating thing has been pretty much dismissed as a myth. As long as you're eating less than you burn throughout the day, you'll lose weight.
  • CalorieArson
    CalorieArson Posts: 32 Member
    work out makes up for it. There are lots of theories about when you can and cant eat, but really, calories taken in vs calories burned is all that matters. Snack away!!
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Good for you for keeping up with your exercise!

Plus... you're eating a high protein snack. I would keep up the great work and snack as you please.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Calories in, calories out. If you see a correlation then stop, sleep disruption seems to be the big deal. When you eat calories wise unless you are eating waaaayyy over it won't matter.
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    I really do not think you have to worry about eating after 6 or 7 if you are working out that late. I usually finish my workout, drink a protein shake and then eat dinner if I am hungry by 9. Today, as I am a diabetic, my bedtime glucose was 86 despite all of that. So, I ate two clementines. The trouble is when you have way to many sugary foods late at night with your munchies. Feel free to check out my diary for some ideas. I really enjoy the pure protein frosty chocolate shake, some baked chicken and a steamed veggie medley of sorts after I workout. I am also really trying hard to follow The Zone Diet (40-30-30).
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    You should definitely be eating after a workout with protein being the choice. Do you have dinner as well when you get home? You should aim for a protein rich snack of @ 200 calories within 30 mins of finishing your workout (to help repair the "damage" your by considers it's done by exercising) and then enjoy a proper meal afterwards, depending on the calorie allowance left for the day.
  • KCox8604
    KCox8604 Posts: 41 Member
    Thanks Everyone! Releived to hear it! And too vjrose...I almost always "sleep like a baby" That is one thing I have nailed! (Haha!)
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    i do walk/workout at the same time as you. after that i eat baby carrots and drink water :). so far its been okay for me but u know its different for everyone . this helped me so thought just share. good luck.
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    After a workout your body has about a 30 minute window to get good protein to its muscles. A lot of people take a protein shake to get it there the fastest. Whole foods take time to digest so that means the protein might not make it to your muscles in 30 minutes. Protein shakes are great because they are already broken down and get to your muscles the fastest. Think of a spounge that has been sitting out in the sun all day. When u throw some water on it the spounge soaks it up. This is what happens when you give your muscles protein after a workout, your muscles soak up the protein!
  • I do the same thing (sometimes) I don't like eating so late but I think it's ok..however, it of course matters what you eat...watch out for some nutrigrain bars as they have a lot of hidden sugars and carbs and fat if you read the nutritional info (I read it a long time ago, so maybe they changed it) - I was just surprised because I was eating one thinking it was "healthy" and my friend was eating a chocolate bar and my nutrigrain bar actually ended up being worse in calories, fat, carbs and sugar than her chocolate bar lol...but like I said, that was a while ago! And if you are exercising then it probably doesn't matter!