Hunger pains

Options
Do they go away once you lose weight?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be having hunger pains-- if you're hungry-- eat! You need the fuel so that you can lose weight. I know we've all been trained that we have to starve but it isn't true. I'm down 34 lbs and have never gone hungry. You might want to look at what you're eating though-- protein and fiber will fill you up longer. Drinking water will take care of thirst, which can be mistaken for hunger in some people.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree. You shouldn't have hunger pains. This isn't a "diet" -- this is a lifestyle change. If you are hungry, eat. If you are constantly struggling to stay under your daily calories - it may be time to re-evaluate your goals.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If you have MFP set correctly you shouldnt be hungry at all.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    People always tell me to eat when I'm hungry, but some people that's just not the case. I can eat a huge mixing bowl of salad (4+cups of veggies) and STILL be hungry. I don't know if that's driven by emotional or what but it FEELS like the same hunger I have after a religious fast. But it perplexes me because I can't POSSIBLY be hungry after eating such a big bowl of food.

I have a friend who is on medication that makes her hungry. Her doctor warned her that the med would make her hungry and mess with her satiety index (Is that the right word? Maybe it's reflex? I dunno-whatever function it is in the body that tells you that you're full-hers is messed up now). She is in the biggest loser challenge with me, and, really has to be careful about eating in order to lose weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    People always tell me to eat when I'm hungry, but some people that's just not the case. I can eat a huge mixing bowl of salad (4+cups of veggies) and STILL be hungry. I don't know if that's driven by emotional or what but it FEELS like the same hunger I have after a religious fast. But it perplexes me because I can't POSSIBLY be hungry after eating such a big bowl of food.

I have a friend who is on medication that makes her hungry. Her doctor warned her that the med would make her hungry and mess with her satiety index (Is that the right word? Maybe it's reflex? I dunno-whatever function it is in the body that tells you that you're full-hers is messed up now). She is in the biggest loser challenge with me, and, really has to be careful about eating in order to lose weight.

Lack of protein. Set mfp to 30% protein and 40% Caribs to foster good fat loss without hunger.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Protein helps prevent hunger pangs.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Lack of protein. Set mfp to 30% protein and 40% Caribs to foster good fat loss without hunger.

I know how frustrating this is because you're going to get conflicting advice. For me, setting protein to 40% and carbs to 30% makes a huge difference and takes away the hunger.

Also, if you're trying to stay low-fat, this could make you feel hungrier as fat keeps you satisfied longer. That big salad would make me hungry, too, if it didn't contain some protein and some fats. Love me some bleu cheese dressing!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I can relate. I dont like leafy salads just for that fact. I have to add some chicken strips or cheese for them to fill me up. My problems were solved by more protein and a little more fat.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Try drinking more, it fills you up.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options

so how do i go in and have MFP do this?
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hunger pains should go away within a matter of days after lowering your calorie intake. It doesn't take very long for the stomach to shrink down and thus be satisfied by less amounts of food or feel "full". If you're still having hunger pains after a few days or even a week, then I would definitely say you need to eat more whole foods, more protein, or try simply adding in more filling foods like potatoes / wheat bread / rice / etc.