Gym or exercise at home?

Options
124»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I do both - I like to have a few options open to me. At home I've got all kinds of exercise DVD's, weights, various medicine balls, a step, yoga props, plus Xfinity On Demand has a ton of workouts you can do for free. I also belong to Xsport and make full use of their gym and classes. Oh and I've been going to a nice yoga studio once a week for hot yoga classes. Lol...like I said I like to have a lot of options that way I never get bored and can't have any excuses!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I like the gym because there is nothing else to do BUT work out and there are a lot of great options but I found that I came home and sat around and did nothing because I'd ALREADY done my exercise for the day....

now I prefer to work out at home because I work out through out my day.... twenty minutes here and there and keep focused all day on moving..... I have a lot more energy and I never feel tired or sore
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    THE GYM!! you will never get the tone you probably are looking for by using an elliptical. you have to lift weights. what good is taking off the extra weight if you dont have any muscle under it?

I go to the gym because if I go straight after work I know I will do it. If I have to do it at home I will just not do it. there are so many other things to do at home but at the gym you can only work out. So I pack my stuff in the morning and drive straight to the gym after work. It works for me.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    I workout at home. I have 3 dvds that I rotate, a set of 3,5,and 8lbs dumbbells, and an exercise ball. I am slowly building up my equipment, and my husband is going to be building a fitness room in the garage for me, but that will probably be another 2 years before it's complete. I will be getting a treadmill or an elliptical when we get our taxes back.

ETA: a gym is not practical for me. I can not afford it and the closest one is 40 minutes away. I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere.
  • shantelleclarke
    Options
    I work out at home out of sheer convenience. I wasn't too good at doing yoga at home but since I bought an elliptical I've been on it all the time!

Maybe try writing out a pros and cons list and see what adds up.
  • dictations
    Options
    At home always. The equipment is RIGHT THERE, I can get to it right away. I'd be way too self conscious in a gym.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I work out at home with Wii Fit. It's nice, cause I can wake up, just throw on some lounge around wear and kill an hour just working out in my family room. At the gym, you have to wear shoes, pay a membership fee that is usually outlandishly out priced for the services they provide, look somewhat presentable, and if you are at the gym at peek it is near impossible to do what you want to do taking as much time as you need.