my treadmill run

Options
Usually my wife and I walk the trails around town for exercise. We have a treadmill we use on occasion like if the weather is bad. Yesterday, I decided to use it since we did not walk outside. I normally do the mile in about 20 minutes at a three to four mph pace. Well I decided to run the mile at 5 mph. Wow, towards the end of my run I had sweat just running down my arms and dripping off my forehead.It felt so great to get the heart pumping and the sweat going! I know some people can ran longer and at higher mph, but I had never gone that fast on my treadmill. I do not see how some people are able to run faster than 5 mph on a treadmill, that's seems to me to be a lot of work. This morning I could feel a little bit of stiffness in the front of my thighs.

116133.png

Replies

• toddf67
    toddf67 Posts: 22
    Options
    Usually my wife and I walk the trails around town for exercise. We have a treadmill we use on occasion like if the weather is bad. Yesterday, I decided to use it since we did not walk outside. I normally do the mile in about 20 minutes at a three to four mph pace. Well I decided to run the mile at 5 mph. Wow, towards the end of my run I had sweat just running down my arms and dripping off my forehead.It felt so great to get the heart pumping and the sweat going! I know some people can ran longer and at higher mph, but I had never gone that fast on my treadmill. I do not see how some people are able to run faster than 5 mph on a treadmill, that's seems to me to be a lot of work. This morning I could feel a little bit of stiffness in the front of my thighs.

116133.png
  • megancolleen
    Options
    I run at 6mph (10 min mile) it is tough.. but I worked my way up there i started at 4.5.. It takes time but def a good feeling when you are done!
  • michellelynne1
    Options
    I know what you mean! Running is no joke! I have an elliptical, and recently started going out on the trails near my home. I live in a city with an escarpement, so there are stairs to get to the top of the city... 305 of them. So I have started getting out of my house, going up the stairs, walking along the edge of the city, going down the stairs about a km away, and then come back along the bottom. I have never really been "in shape" So the other day I wondered if I could run a little bit. I ran for about two minutes which absolutely killed me!! I had no breath (I am a smoker and finally realize i may just need to kick it), my legs felt like Jell-o, and I was soaked with sweat... and it felt amazing!! Now, every day I pick a place along the trails, like a certain tree or a telephone post, and run a little bit longer every day. I think I'm up to about 4 minutes of actual jogging. And even though that doesn't seem like much, and there are those "lifer runners" passing me by in their proffessional running pants complete with built in fanny packs, it makes me feel the biggest sense of accomplishment.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I use to think the same thing! How do people run faster on here. But if you keep working at it you to will be one of them! I started like you. Now sometimes I mix up my runs. Sometimes still going 5 but sometimes going 5.5, 6, 6.5. I've even done sprints on 7! I never thought that would happen.

Keep up the good work. It feels better with each accomplishment.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Running is no joke!

Darn right! I sweat like crazy when I run... and I've been running for years at 7 mph or faster. It's not supposed to be easy! It's something our ancestors did to avoid being eaten or trampled to death!

I'll add, however, that the lighter you are, the easier it gets. The fastest runners are very lean - the sprinters have more bulk than the long-distance runners, but even so, they are muscle wrapped tight against bones.