Calling all runners!! I have a question!!

Options
Hi everyone- for those of you runners out there, I am training for a triathlon and have a question:
To be competitive in my age division I need to run a 5k in ~20 minutes which is a 6.5 min mile.
Now my question is, is that even feasible or is it a breakneck speed??

And- what is your recommendation on how to train for it, should I either
A) do a 5k run/walk until I can run the whole thing and after that work on speed
or should I
B) run short distances of the 6.5 min mile pace and slowly build up to be able to run the whole distance at that speed?

Thank you everyone, this is a huge help!!!

Replies

• emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump? Please? Anyone?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone- for those of you runners out there, I am training for a triathlon and have a question:
    To be competitive in my age division I need to run a 5k in ~20 minutes which is a 6.5 min mile.

A) do a 5k run/walk until I can run the whole thing and after that work on speed
    or should I
    B) run short distances of the 6.5 min mile pace and slowly build up to be able to run the whole distance at that speed?

It is feasible, it is speedy however. What sort of time do you have at the moment?
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    what time are you running a mile now?
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have just started training but am running about a 10min mile.
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Hal Higdon has an incredible training program for runners. I

I prefer Jeff Galloway

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/
  • cjp87
    cjp87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

or should I

A & B! Interval training and speed work are just as important as long distance endurance runs, having both is also a way to not get bored with just running the same route every day too :). Sub 7min miles are very do-able, especially for that distance but I normally don't worry about being competitive with anyone but myself. Each race I set a goal for a new personal record and try to race old me, give it a try for a couple 5 or even 10ks and you'll be the fastest in your age group in no time! ...just my opinion but I hope this helps and i wish you the best of luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'd work on intervals first until you have the endurance to do the distance, then work on speed. A 6.5 min mile is crazy fast... that's 9 miles an hour.

After a year of running, I can maintain that pace for at least a half mile (or at least I could until I got a stress fracture) but I'm also a lot older than you and wasn't training for speed until recently.

It's feasible, but don't be devastated if you fall short. Not everyone is capable of running that fast, especially for that distance.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    B
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    check out Hal Higdon for a training schedule.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Get of facebook and look up the page "The couch to 5k program" then maybe "the bridge to 10k". Good info there for beginner runners.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Good info! Runnersworld.com has a 'Smart Coach' that will help with a training plan as well.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Something to remember is that your 10-minute mile will feel a lot harder after swimming and biking.

This tri sounds really intense. I'm planning to do my first one this summer, but it's a lot more laid back that that.
  • mommymegz
    mommymegz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how most people do it but I heard that you are supposed to practice at the speed that you want to compete...I started out just running .25 at the time I wanted and added more distance every couple days
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I got tired just thinking about a 6.5 minute mile.. lol But it is possible, and you can do it! I think the answer is both A and B. Train your body to run longer distances, and train it to run faster at shorter distances. Before long.. those longer distances will seem like shorter ones! Best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Have you done Couch to 5K? My husband did it and now runs a 5k in about 29 minutes. He's now trying to increase speed, so he's using C25K again, only now he's doing the running segments at a much faster rate, then walks/slower runs the walk segments, the kicks it up to a fast speed again for the next running portion. It's working for him. Also, if you are running on a treadmill, put the incline up to 1-3% incline. It helps to mimic running outdoors.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Have you done Couch to 5K? My husband did it and now runs a 5k in about 29 minutes. He's now trying to increase speed, so he's using C25K again, only now he's doing the running segments at a much faster rate, then walks/slower runs the walk segments, the kicks it up to a fast speed again for the next running portion. It's working for him. Also, if you are running on a treadmill, put the incline up to 1-3% incline. It helps to mimic running outdoors.

I was curious about this as well a little while back. I asked the question on a couple of different websites, including the C25k facebook page. They all said that increasing distance endurance will help with the shorter distance speed runs too.

Once my calf feels better I'm looking at mixing up long runs along with shorter faster run days. Not necessarily intervals in one session, but a day of endurance and a day of "faster than normal" running.
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Did my first tri last summer. I had done 9 min miles in 5k races with no problem. I did my 5k in the tri in 32 minutes. After the swim and bike ride my legs were so tired. I really focused on getting the best time I could on the bike. Make sure you are doing bricks for your training that way you know how you will feel after the bike.
  • imitedlay7
    imitedlay7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to focus on completing the event for the first time and not worrying about placing or winning. Be happy with your accomplishment and focus on your own PR which will get better the more you train. You need to be able to run the distance first, before you work on speed. Once you are comfortable with the distance you can then push yourself with speed.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Interval training I would think... Work on completing the distance but in intervals alternate between a faster speed and a comfortable speed...
  • knowkeys
    knowkeys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can run an half marathon in 150 mins, 13.1 miles in 2.5 hours = 5.24 mph.

My fastest speed for 10k (6 miles) = 55 min = 6.6 mph

This is not a fast speed. In the region of 10-12 mins per mile.

I have friends who can complete a half marathon in 110 mins = 7.5 mph.

You need speed and endurance. I am trying to improve my speed.

I run 30 secs as fast as possible / 2 min recovery walk x 4 reps twice a week. And 1 long walk/run.
    The fast pace should make you out of breath but not gasping for breath.
    This can increase as you go along.

e.g.

Week 1 - 30 secs/2min x 4
    Week 2 - 30 secs/90 secs x 4
    Week 3 - 45 secs / 90 secs x 5
    Week 4 - 45 secs / 60 secs x 6
    Week 5 - 60 secs/60 secs x 5
    Week 6 - 60 secs/45 secs x 6
    Week 7 - 90 secs/30 secs x 4
    Week 8 - Constant pace. - 15 mins - 1 min break - 15 mins.

This should eventually add up about 30 mins per run which is a good target time for a 5K.

The long run helps to build endurance, start at 30 mins and build to 60 mins - comfortable pace.

The swimming and cycling can be on alternative days.

The plan should be to suit yourself.

I am currently rebuilding my speed from shuffling to jog and am aiming for PB's in 10k races in April and May and a half Marathon in May.

Good luck with the training and let us everyone know how you are getting on.