Any middle school teachers out there?

Options
I am trying to come up with a lesson plan for my mentor teacher. He wants me to bring something in so we can work on a lesson together.

It is for an 8th grade science class. I was given either an activity on the H-R diagram to show the relationship between surface temps and magnitude or I can do the the historically scientific theories about the origin of the universe. I am just not finding many things about an activity they can do.

Any help would be appreciated!
TIA

Replies

• JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I am trying to come up with a lesson plan for my mentor teacher. He wants me to bring something in so we can work on a lesson together.

It is for an 8th grade science class. I was given either an activity on the H-R diagram to show the relationship between surface temps and magnitude or I can do the the historically scientific theories about the origin of the universe. I am just not finding many things about an activity they can do.

Any help would be appreciated!
    TIA
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Wow I opened this all ready to help you with a physical education lesson plan, even though I'm not quite a teacher yet! haha Then I kept reading and I won't be ANY help lol Good luck though!
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    I know! I find both of those topics just easier to direct teach about, I am having the hardest time thinking of an actual activity the students can do to learn about it!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    couldn't you just do something like a handout and have them find the answers? or so a presentation for them and then let them play a game with new words or terms you've introduced? maybe something just to reinforce what you taught?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Just direct teach, then use Jeopardy, or Around the World format to play a game with the new concepts.

Not everything can be made hands-on.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    DOUBLE POST!!!!!!:blushing:
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    Those are good ideas. I'll just think about it some more. Thanks guys!
  • abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm Student Teaching right now in an elementary classroom, and although we (the student teachers) know that everything cannot POSSIBLY be made totally hands on, our mentor teachers and university teachers alllllways wanna see it! so i know how frustrating this can be for you! i dont know ANYTHING about science, but i've always had a lot of luck google-ing the lesson plans on the topic i'm trying to teach. teachers are always posting things online, and there are some really great resources out tehre. sometimes you just have to hunt!

i wish i knew more about your topics, but i'll be sticking with the youngin's. good luck!!!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Youtube is something the teachers in my school are using more. I would make it hands on or technology based. Either way will work out great!
  • JessicaT2007
    Options
    Yes Abby, that is so true, you feel my pain! LOL