dieting and type 2 diabetes

Options
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed last year with premature type 2 diabetes. The doctor said that I was showing signs of diabetes and that it would require testing which I have done for some time and now after a yr. long of routine blood work and such it has been confirmed.

The concern I have is with all I have learnt this last year over and over I am hearing "Don't expect too much when trying to lose weight". Making it sound like all the effort is worthless. I am not looking for excuses or reasons to give up! That's not an option here, I am determined to get my life back and be fit and healthy.

What I am trying to learn is the best diet plan for diabetes type 2. How many carbs to have, fats and protein, etc. I have read to eat 60% carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein. Seems to me the carbs are too high and the protein is a little low. Just wondered if any of you have type 2 diabetes and you have been successful if you could share some tips and helpful suggestions.

Since end of Jan I have lost 11 lbs and the inches are dropping to date 12 5/8 inches gone, so I know with a little work it is working:wink: Just want some diabetic friends to share recipes, tips and new discoveries and celebrations with. Thank you in Advance. Debbie

Replies

• happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I was diagnosed last year with premature type 2 diabetes. The doctor said that I was showing signs of diabetes and that it would require testing which I have done for some time and now after a yr. long of routine blood work and such it has been confirmed.

The concern I have is with all I have learnt this last year over and over I am hearing "Don't expect too much when trying to lose weight". Making it sound like all the effort is worthless. I am not looking for excuses or reasons to give up! That's not an option here, I am determined to get my life back and be fit and healthy.

What I am trying to learn is the best diet plan for diabetes type 2. How many carbs to have, fats and protein, etc. I have read to eat 60% carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein. Seems to me the carbs are too high and the protein is a little low. Just wondered if any of you have type 2 diabetes and you have been successful if you could share some tips and helpful suggestions.

Since end of Jan I have lost 11 lbs and the inches are dropping to date 12 5/8 inches gone, so I know with a little work it is working:wink: Just want some diabetic friends to share recipes, tips and new discoveries and celebrations with. Thank you in Advance. Debbie
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes type 2 for about ten years now. At first, I was in total denial and I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, even when I went to the classes that were suppose to teach me HOW to eat. The one thing they also stress is to exercise on a regular basis. Ok, it took me ten years to finally make this sink into my big fat head! Since last summer, I've gone from 226 and I'm now hovering between 193 and 196 since January. As of this week, I'm trying to step up my game plan for more exercise to see if I can atleast get under the 190 mark. That's the goal. I'm also on insulin and humalog, so that plays against my efforts. I have to be diligent in what I eat and consistency is key.

It sounds like you are doing terrific, with the 11 lb weight loss. Exercise will keep your sugars under control. Really.. Believe it. Exercise does wonders for this! My total carb consumption for the day should be around 150. Total. But there are days I find I'm going over my limit. It's very hard for me to control this number, but I'm working on it. At least with this website, I can see the errors of my consumption and which foods work towards my advantage. And I can then target which foods have too much calories or fat. If I get all of this in sync, then I can fight the outcome of my insulin intake, lose the weight, AND the outcome will be that I will take less insulin in the long run. So, no.. .your efforts are NOT in vain. Keep up the exercise.

See a dietician or a chronic disease management person at your medical facility. They will give you some idea of what your carb intake should be for a day. Then work around that magic number. If you are on minimal medication, and stick to a regime that works for you, you might get to where you don't need any more medication at all. That happened to a co-worker friend of mine who began watching what she ate and exercising three times a day since this January of 2009. She has lost over 25 lbs to date. Of course she has a personal trainer and is paying gazoo for him and the gym, but that's her preference and goals. You can do the same thing, with time working in your favor. You are on the right track and I'm always glad to buddy up with others like me in the same boat. :) Chriss
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Chris, thanks so much, currently I am on no medication as my levels from my testing the last six months before and after meals and at bedtime have only been slightly out of range, so perhaps if I keep going I can get the numbers to stay where they should be. It is alot to take it, isn't it. Sounds like you are doing great and I applaud your efforts and A+ attitude. Please keep in touch if you would, I have a long way to go, but I am not giving up!!!
    Debbie:smile: