Shin Splints :(

Options
I am trying to walk more, but it seems like if I walk everyday for 30 minutes or so, by about the 3rd day I have shin splints so bad I have to not walk for about 3 more days until they ease up or go away. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong or any idea on how to not get shin splints? I'm thinking maybe it's my sneaker, maybe I have flat feet? Any suggestions on inserts and a good pair of sneakers to get???

Replies

• Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Go to a store that will watch you walk/run and fit you for a shoe.
  • JCN_1103
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them look at your gait. They will be able to tell you exactly what you need.
  • healthydrj
    Options
    I have the same problem and a trainer told me to strengthen my calves and it would help with the shins but so far it has not worked for me.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You should go get fitted for a proper running shoe. They can determine what kind of running shoe will help you. The proper shoe should minimize or eliminate shin splints and other joint pains. It may seem pricey, but it will be worth the investment. Do not get a cross trainer... A proper running shoe will be designed for forward motion and will have the proper support you need when walking or running. A cross trainer is built for side to side movement for playing sports or doing aerobics.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think its the shoes, I have the shin splints right now. After they heal I am going to one of the running stores to get a good pair of shoes for my feet.
  • soundtrack
    soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    To relieve the pain I suggest ice water bath. If you can stand it... Add ice to the bath tub and kneel if you don't have proper tub to use at home. Marathon runner had suggested this to me... While I did not do the ice baths maybe if you're in enough pain you'll try it? GOOD LUCK!!!
  • samantha196
    Options
    I agree with the PP. Try a different pair of shoes or go to a store that will properly fit you with a style of shoe.
  • nicki85
    nicki85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Im a physiotherapist and this is really common with loads of people! You need to get a shoe with a supportive sole/arch that will absorb the shock when you are walking.
    Also if you notice you are walking very heavy i.e you can hear your footsteps loudly, make sure you are striking the ground with your heel first and spreading the weight forwards to your toes as you push off.

Make sure you are warming up/cooling down properly, start off slowly and build up
    Make sure you are stretching properly after as well :)
  • mzee569
    mzee569 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you may need new sneakers. I get them when I'm about due to get a new pair, and I don't get them when I have a new pair. Good luck!

mary:happy:
  • KingdomHeiress5
    KingdomHeiress5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I ran track,, our coach had us do toe raises as part of our warm-up and that also helped reduce getting them.
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I don't think there's any one magic solution, though, because there are so many different reasons why it could be happening. I've had them since I ran track in high school and they've never gone away. In fact just this week I got so frustrated I broke down and called my doctor's office for help. Now I'm being sent to PT to see if they can give me some stretches and strengthening exercises to start with, and if that doesn't do the trick I'll be sent on to an ortho doc.

The obvious solution is to stop doing whatever it is you're doing that's causing them, but I know in my case running is the only kind of exercise I can do sustainably. The elliptical trainer is like some kind of torture device to me, and I don't mind doing the stationary bike once in a while but it's not my favorite, either. I work out on my lunch break which only gives me about 30 minutes of actual workout time, so I want to maximize what little time I have and running does that for me. I'm determined not to give up, but it really stinks!!

Good luck, and I hope you can find a solution!
  • mouldiwarp
    Options
    It sounds a bit like the old too much too soon. I had them a few times when I was younger and always after taking a much bigger step in running distance than is recommended. The worst thing about them is the fact they are completely debilitating.

On one occasion I went from my routine 5 mile short / 8 mile long road running to do a 14 mile cross country run as part of a selection process for an adventure racing team. I did that run twice in 24 hours which was a bit stupid and I suffered pain for almost 3 weeks afterwards! (I got good times and made the team though which was cool).

I always found that a period or rest and stretching, along with good diet were the only way to get past the problem. Since bones are constantly being broken down and re-built / re-shaped as a response to the stresses of exercise, if you stress them too much and too often the rate they are broken down exceeds the rate they build which can cause area's of weakness leading to pain. Make sure you are getting your calcium and all the minerals / vitamins that are essential for its absorption such as Vitamin D.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    shin splints are typically from new runners/walkers.. this will go away over a long period of time where you do it on a reg basis.. also, i found in the beginning of my running that if i take a day of to let them rest its worse. getting out there and keeping it up is best IMO
  • ChurchLady9
    Options
    I had problems with shin splints also and was actually in physical therapy for knee pain. The therapist suggested I go to a shoe store that will take detailed measurements and recommend a shoe for what you need. I never spent this much for a pair of sneakers before, but the difference was immediate. I no longer get shin splits and my knee doesn't hurt nearly as much. The shoe is everything.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you go to a running shoe store they should be able to watch your pronation and help you pick a pair that will help. Good luck. A great pair of shoes is priceless.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting a good pair of shoes.

Also
    * Increase your mileage slowly (no more than 10% per week)
    * try to run and walk on soft surfaces dirt, grass, asphalt are all softer than concrete sidewalks.
    * Strengthen your core, this will reduce lower body soreness because you will be keeping your hips forward.
    * Stretch regularly (calf, and hamstrings)
    * Ice your shins immediately after exercise
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i would see about getting new shoes or see if you need a shoe insert. shin splints are not something you typically get from walking. if you are walking on say a sidewalk see if you can find a park or place with an inside rubber track and try a soft surface (grass etc) also tread lightly....