Lower Ab exercises for woman

Options
Cindym82
Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
You know when you reach 30 and you get the kangaroo pouch type thing in your lower abs, how in the world do you get this to go away??? :( thanks

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It is mainly through dieting, but I do very limited ab exercises, as I incorporate core work into my strength training (compound movements like squats and lunges are GREAT for your abs), but there are a few isolation exercises I do that I believe work very well.

Hanging knees to elbows (also great for your shoulders)
    Scissor legs (straight leg lifts alternating legs but not touching the ground)
    Russian twists with a medicine ball
    Plank with mountain climber

I spend maybe 5-8 minutes doing these 2-3 times a week.

If you don't know what these are I am sure you can google them. :smile:
  • Cindym82
    Options
    It is mainly through dieting, but I do very limited ab exercises, as I incorporate core work into my strength training (compound movements like squats and lunges are GREAT for your abs), but there are a few isolation exercises I do that I believe work very well.

Hanging knees to elbows (also great for your shoulders)
    Scissor legs (straight leg lifts alternating legs but not touching the ground)
    Russian twists with a medicine ball
    Plank with mountain climber

I spend maybe 5-8 minutes doing these 2-3 times a week.

If you don't know what these are I am sure you can google them. :smile:

thanks! I do the dieting, wich i'm low cal, low fat, low sodium but i dont know which exercises. I do do the mountain climbers by themselves. Thanks for the ideas
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I love and swear by bicycle crunches. slOoOow and steady keeping your legs parallel to the floor watching your form and concentrating on breathing. exhale with each crunch. also, the captains chair leg raises. again, watch your form and dont swing. like Kdiamond mentioned, lunges, squats, and other exercises also are great for the abs but these two are the best in my opinion. i like to do plank rows which work a wide variety of muscles including the abs. just so ya know too, ive only been working mine for about a month and a half now.
  • Cindym82
    Options
    thanks holly :)
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump - really helpful information! :)
  • sedelagarza
    sedelagarza Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love and swear by bicycle crunches. slOoOow and steady keeping your legs parallel to the floor watching your form and concentrating on breathing. exhale with each crunch. also, the captains chair leg raises. again, watch your form and dont swing. like Kdiamond mentioned, lunges, squats, and other exercises also are great for the abs but these two are the best in my opinion. i like to do plank rows which work a wide variety of muscles including the abs. just so ya know too, ive only been working mine for about a month and a half now.

I want your body!!!! How do I achieve it? I'm small but with no muscle definition and I have the dreaded pooch from having 2 kids. Help me Yoda lol teach me your ways!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine (who was small) had 'the pouch' and it turned out to be her diet. Her diet changed drastically and so did 'the pouch' but we're not sure what caused it. It could be something a nutritionalist would need to answer (or is trying to anyway). Otherwise, cardio and this exercise:

This is Mr. Stickman lying down (side view)
    '
    ==-O
    Then he lifts his lower backside slowly (side view)
    \,
    '-==-O
    And lowers them down again (side view)
    '
    ==-O

Keep your legs straight and the lower to the floor (but not touching) will work the muscles in your lower stomach harder. Try to keep your whole butt back head and arms on the floor when lifting your legs.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Reverse Crunches or double crunches. I hate them with a passion but they're hitting the spot.

I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD ($6.99 on Amazon) and I really have noticed my stomach go down quite a bit. I have that little pouch too and it drives me nuts! But I've been losing in my waist since doing her dvd. Plus of course, eating right and working out 6-7 days per week. I do the 20 min DVD plus walk whenever I can. I'm working my way up to running...some day!

They totally suck but I'm determined to get rid of the little stomach thing I've got going on! Slowly but surely, I'm getting there
  • Cindym82
    Options
    I think part of my problem is i'm currently being tested for hypothyroid or another auntoimmune problem, and I watch what i eat and have been doing mt. climbers and such but this damn thing drives me crazy :( i feel like no matter how much i work this bugger he just wont go away!!!! *waaaah*
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump