I realise this may get me mocked...

Options
13»

Replies

• skstogsdill
    Options
    I had an ED for a few years when I was in college. I'm 5'9", my lowest weight I got to was 118. I'm currently 157. My goal weight is 145.

I UNDERSTAND WHAT ITS LIKE TO HAVE AN ED BRAIN.

This has nothing to do with the math and method of loosing weight. This has everything to do with you needing to develop a healthy relationship with food and with your body.

I broke out of my ED by, one day, after receiving concerned comment after another by my family after seeing my in a bathing suit, I binged on a family sized bag of trail mix. That whole bag was probably 5,000 calories. I ate the whole thing in 1 day. And I was forced to not purge because I was on a family vacation, I had no privacy.

At first, I panicked. I was so scared I was going to gain weight. I swore I would work off every last calorie in the gym as soon as that vacation was over. But guess what, I didn't die, I didn't gain any significant weight, and for the first time in years I felt energized. That's when I slowly started to come to grips with the fact that I had a very unhealthy relationship with food. And it took a couple of years to get to where I needed to "be".

In reading how you expressed your question and concerns, it sounds like that may be something you need to work on.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Try looking at this article (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm) for some information on eating too few calories.

I would say that you jumped your metabolism again. It seems like a lot of people do that whenever they stall on their weight loss. They eat above their calorie allowance for a few days and then go back to restriction, and it helps them start losing again.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I wish that everyone would read this article and really take it to heart. If you eat too few, your body will become VERY efficient at STORING fat. I think it's safe to say that is the exact opposite of why we are all here. Yes, you want to lose weight but let's all be smart about it. If you want to lose body fat, you need to eat enough to turn you rmetabolism on. Otherwise, you're just storing the little bit that you do actually eat.

I can say that not only do I believe in the science, but I can speak from experience. I had cut my calories back to 1200 at one point too. Almost right away losing a lot of weight. That's because I was literally starving my body. I was also getting body scans done regularily. I couldn't figure out why I was losing more muscle mass than I was body fat!!! I have increased my calorie intake and have consistantly been maintaining muscle mass and losing body fat since. It works folks! Feed the muscle, starve the fat.
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can stop losing weight or negatively affect your weight loss efforts by not eating enough. I actually have my bachelors in nutrition science so I do have some background here. Think of it like running a wood stove. If you don't put in enough wood the fire will dwindle and eventually go out. Our bodies work the same way. If you deprive your body of enough calories it will slow down how it burns them in order to save some for later. I see a lot of people who are consistently eating way below their recommended calorie amount and many complain they are not losing the weight. I actually worked for Weight Watchers years ago and I had a woman who came into my meetings who only ate one meal a day and could not lose weight. She started eating three meals a day plus a snack and the weight started coming off. Our bodies need fuel to actually lose weight effectively.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I had an ED for a few years when I was in college. I'm 5'9", my lowest weight I got to was 118. I'm currently 157. My goal weight is 145.

This has nothing to do with the math and method of loosing weight. This has everything to do with you needing to develop a healthy relationship with food and with your body.

I broke out of my ED by, one day, after receiving concerned comment after another by my family after seeing my in a bathing suit, I binged on a family sized bag of trail mix. That whole bag was probably 5,000 calories. I ate the whole thing in 1 day. And I was forced to not purge because I was on a family vacation, I had no privacy.

At first, I panicked. I was so scared I was going to gain weight. I swore I would work off every last calorie in the gym as soon as that vacation was over. But guess what, I didn't die, I didn't gain any significant weight, and for the first time in years I felt energized. That's when I slowly started to come to grips with the fact that I had a very unhealthy relationship with food. And it took a couple of years to get to where I needed to "be".

In reading how you expressed your question and concerns, it sounds like that may be something you need to work on.

The really sad thing is, I'm doing *so* much better than I used to. Eating 1200 calories a day was such a huge achievement for me, but it was accompanied by the same fear. It isn't rational. It's completely in my head and I've worked on it... am still working on it... will probably be working on it for the rest of my life.

But you escaped. And that gives me hope. Thank you.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's because people try to use false logic when it comes to weight loss. I always here the "car" analogy. If you have a full tank of gas the car will weigh more. Put in less gas and the car will weigh less.
    But the body doesn't work that way. It works like a DAM. If there's a CONSISTENT amount of rainfall, the "valves" of the dam are kept open to keep the dam in balance and from overflowing. When there's drought, the valves are "closed" for conservation purposes.
    See?
    I really like this analogy, by the way. I think it explains things perfectly.
  • skstogsdill
    Options

The really sad thing is, I'm doing *so* much better than I used to. Eating 1200 calories a day was such a huge achievement for me, but it was accompanied by the same fear. It isn't rational. It's completely in my head and I've worked on it... am still working on it... will probably be working on it for the rest of my life.

But you escaped. And that gives me hope. Thank you.

Eating 1200 a day is a HUGE acheivement!!! I realize this and I know.

I applaud you for your honesty and I am SO happy for you! Hang in there girlfriend, and keep it up. Its a journey and a battle. A tip of advice? Find the beauty in food. Get interested in cooking maybe. Find flavors you love. And a pair of jeans that make your butt and legs look flippin phenomenal.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You need to make up your mind that you're going to feed your body what it needs and know that means eating enough calories every day. When eating too few calories becomes a non-option, it's a non-option -- no matter what the scale says. We have an obligation to feed our bodies if we want them to do what we ask of them. Good luck.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    While it's not logical....when you have upped your calories after being so low for such awhile it seems like your body says thank you for the binge and gives you something in return lol.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This thread is enlightened. Let it shine it's radiance from Page 1 once more.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Simply put, do what works for you! Looks like you did.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Go read the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe and Alwyn Cosgrove. Even if you aren't into lifing (which does wonders for losing weight, though), the nutrition part of the book that they focus on first is incredibly helpful. It explains why you need to have a smaller and smaller caloric deficit as you get closer and closer toward your goal weight rather than a larger deficit. It completely changed the way I thought about my caloric deficit in order to lose weight.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! I, too, have to get past that psychological hurdle...but I'm working on it. I was of the mind that less calories, more excercise...just how I remember dieting when I was younger. You put your body in starvation mode and it hangs on to every bit you eat. I have some friends on here that have really helped get me past that, keep it up! Don't feel like you're mocked, you wouldn't believe how many of us are in the same boat! It's basic reformatting your thinking and adjusting your food and calorie intake accordingly. Best of Luck!
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that "shocking" your system can help get over plateaus. In other words, if you were eating the same foods day in and dayout and the same number of calories, your system may have gotten used to it. By shocking it with extra calories and different foods, you kick it back into high gear. I don't know how much truth there is to that but I've heard it a few times so thought I'd mention it.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It's because people try to use false logic when it comes to weight loss. I always here the "car" analogy. If you have a full tank of gas the car will weigh more. Put in less gas and the car will weigh less.
    But the body doesn't work that way. It works like a DAM. If there's a CONSISTENT amount of rainfall, the "valves" of the dam are kept open to keep the dam in balance and from overflowing. When there's drought, the valves are "closed" for conservation purposes.
    See?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this analogy!! So true!
  • lucybell333
    Options
    Something I've found that really works for me is calorie zig-zagging. This is where you basically cycle between high, medium and low calorie days to keep your body guessing and stop your metabolism falling. It may not work for everyone, but it definitely works for me! In fact, I can almost guarantee a small weight gain the day after a low day, but this is almost always more than made up for after a medium or high day.

You can get the figures from this website: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I've adapted it slightly, so I keep the high days for the weekends, when I'm more likely to need more calories! :drinker:

Good luck! :smile:
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A lot of the feelings you're expressing sound familiar to me: I had a long term relationship with a woman who was going through a very difficult ED recovery, and she too struggled with fear of food and discomfort with the idea of eating too much, coupled with her frustration that she knew her feelings and thought patterns were disordered. She'd judge herself very harshly for not being able to out-think the problem, and become even more discouraged.

But, with time, she did develop the ability to eat normal amounts of food without fear or guilt. She still has some of the ED thoughts, but she has learned over time to think different thoughts over top of them--to overrule them, as she describes it. It sounds like you've made a great deal of progress, but the fact that you're anxious about going over a certain (quite low) number is a red flag that you're still reluctant to let go of the security/sense of control you get from that number.

Just remember that if you made 1200 calories feel safe to eat, you can in time make another higher number feel safe and appropriate. Try and think about how you did that--why 1200 instead of 800 or 1000? Whether it's research, or speaking to a nutritionist, or thinking it through yourself or just trial and error, there is clearly some process that allowed you go be comfortable with 1200. Try doing that again for a number that is higher, but feels manageable.

Based on what I know, I do think 1200 is too low for you. I know you exercise regularly, and you've got a child to chase after, and you're in general active enough that it'd be very hard to get your nutrient requirements at that level. Try to up the amount slowly so that you're not overwhelmed. As for exercise calories, if you don't feel comfortable eating them all back, then eat back half of them.

I don't know your exact height or age, but your ticker says your goal is 150. As an example, a 30 year old woman who is 5'6" and weighs 150 pounds will burn about 1900 calories a day if she's lightly active (does a light workout or lots of walking each day). You're close to your goal now, and as part of your recovery you'll eventually need to transition to eating at maintenance level. Ideally you'll come to feel "safe" eating anything less than 1900 calories when you're in weight loss mode.

You're obviously a very intelligent and determined woman. The key is understanding the reasons you're apprehensive and addressing them as best you can.
  • mcmahonclan5
    Options
    @runbyme:
    If you just started, hang in there! It takes a couple of weeks or more for your body to figure out what is going on and start shedding the weight. Initially a woman's body will go into starvation mode and hold on to fat stores for "protection." This is just what I've been told by a friend of a friend who is a trainer (I'm no expert).

I have also found that an occasional spike in cals or a day or two resting from exercise can actually trick your metabolism into working magic. Also eat smaller meals several times throughout the day and don't stuff yourself (fill that little hunger with water). I was famouse for not eating breakfast and being so hungry that I would overeat when I finally did eat. I have been eating 3 meals a day with 2 snacks in between and no late night snacking. I have lost 13 pounds with 22 left to go. Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • skstogsdill
    Options
    A lot of the feelings you're expressing sound familiar to me: I had a long term relationship with a woman who was going through a very difficult ED recovery, and she too struggled with fear of food and discomfort with the idea of eating too much, coupled with her frustration that she knew her feelings and thought patterns were disordered. She'd judge herself very harshly for not being able to out-think the problem, and become even more discouraged.

But, with time, she did develop the ability to eat normal amounts of food without fear or guilt. She still has some of the ED thoughts, but she has learned over time to think different thoughts over top of them--to overrule them, as she describes it. It sounds like you've made a great deal of progress, but the fact that you're anxious about going over a certain (quite low) number is a red flag that you're still reluctant to let go of the security/sense of control you get from that number.

Just remember that if you made 1200 calories feel safe to eat, you can in time make another higher number feel safe and appropriate. Try and think about how you did that--why 1200 instead of 800 or 1000? Whether it's research, or speaking to a nutritionist, or thinking it through yourself or just trial and error, there is clearly some process that allowed you go be comfortable with 1200. Try doing that again for a number that is higher, but feels manageable.

Based on what I know, I do think 1200 is too low for you. I know you exercise regularly, and you've got a child to chase after, and you're in general active enough that it'd be very hard to get your nutrient requirements at that level. Try to up the amount slowly so that you're not overwhelmed. As for exercise calories, if you don't feel comfortable eating them all back, then eat back half of them.

I don't know your exact height or age, but your ticker says your goal is 150. As an example, a 30 year old woman who is 5'6" and weighs 150 pounds will burn about 1900 calories a day if she's lightly active (does a light workout or lots of walking each day). You're close to your goal now, and as part of your recovery you'll eventually need to transition to eating at maintenance level. Ideally you'll come to feel "safe" eating anything less than 1900 calories when you're in weight loss mode.

You're obviously a very intelligent and determined woman. The key is understanding the reasons you're apprehensive and addressing them as best you can.

AWESOME post. Well said. As one who had a bought with an ED in the past, you certainly do understand, and you understand well.