Protien only for 7 days??

Options
2»

Replies

• MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    New Atkins has vegetables for the first FEW days, very restricted carbs, then QUICKLY adds in more carbs including complex carbs. I read the book because my mom was doing it, so I wanted to see more - the NEW Atkins is no longer dangerous (though those first few days are EXTREME) compared to past iterations. It is actually now not all that different from south beach or other more balanced diets. It was very much developed for people with sugar and insulin imbalances and it can be very useful for diabetics and the like, as it also then gets you to monitor stepping carbohydrates back in, to see what you tolerate well. Indeed, New Atkins also warns against too much fat and encourages lean protein, and discusses the various micronutrients in produce and grains. Which is obviously important to get through to people who just don't think people "need carbs".

If you are not very overweight (you do not look like you are?) and do not have major medical issues that seem to respond well to a restricted-carb diet, I would absolutely not consider this approach. If you have sugar and carb cravings like mad, it is probably a healthy idea to completely cut out refined and processed starches, limit "fast" carbs like potatoes but keep in modest amounts of whole grains, root vegetables and plenty of leafy and colorful other produce. Retraining your tastebuds and your body response is valid and it's generally healthier for anyone. Making sure most of the fats in your diet are healthy ones, getting a serving of lean, high-quality protein at each meal or snack, and focusing on produce at each meal is almost a fool-proof approach unless your metabolism is totally f*cked for some reason.