Organic? Should I try it?

Options
I've been looking into the benefits of Organic eating. It seems to have a good effect on the environment but has anyone else tried this and had a bad experience?

I know it's expensive and I know Organic does not mean low calorie.

I'm especially curious on this because my mom has diverticulitis and I've been reading about it. Some scientists believe Diverticulitis it is caused by the preservatives and chemicals used to treat our food.

Replies

• picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My family tried eating organic last summer. Somethings are good, somethings are bad. We didn't really notice a difference when it came to meat. Depending on the fruit or veggie, the organic ones tended to be juicy and didn't taste like pesticide. Organic ketchup is a must in our house along with Kashi cereal.

It really is a hit or miss thing. Everyone is different. We have our own garden and grow our stuff organically. People raved how juicy our tomatoes were, so give things a whirl when you are shopping. Pick up a few items and try them out.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of the organic cereals and boxed type stuff, it doesn't have preservatives and high fructose corn syrup. I also do buy some organic produce but the cost is sometimes ridiculous. I do believe it's better for you (no preservatives or pesticides) but it costs so much because the yield is smaller for the farmers =/.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    It's definitely much better for your health!
    http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/dirty-dozen-foods#fbIndex1
    Additionally, because of their natural defenses against pests, they tend to have much higher concentrations of nutrients.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into the benefits of Organic eating. It seems to have a good effect on the environment but has anyone else tried this and had a bad experience?

I'm especially curious on this because my mom has diverticulitis and I've been reading about it. Some scientists believe Diverticulitis it is caused by the preservatives and chemicals used to treat our food.

If you are meaning organic as far as obtaining locally sourced and farm raised meats that are grass fed beef, certified compassionate pork and free range chicken and eggs and obtaining organic fruits and vegetables............then YES, I totally believe in it.

If you are talking about buying organic boxed goods, then I say your wasting your money as it is still junk food packaged under the organic disguise.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Additionally, because of their natural defenses against pests, they tend to have much higher concentrations of nutrients.

The other reason for higher concentration of nutrients is most organic foods (meats, vegetables and fruits) are locally raised, which means less time from farm to table = higher level of nutrients also.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you are meaning organic as far as obtaining locally sourced and farm raised meats that are grass fed beef, certified compassionate pork and free range chicken and eggs and obtaining organic fruits and vegetables............then YES, I totally believe in it.

If you are talking about buying organic boxed goods, then I say your wasting your money as it is still junk food packaged under the organic disguise.

Couldn't agree more
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Well said!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I am a huge fan of organics. I have found that everyone (like pretty much everything else) has their own opinion on organics. Like conventional foods, certain brands have better quality or taste than others. I have seen a lot of people in my circle try one product and apply it to "organics", opposed to the brand.

If you give organics a try, I highly suggest reading over the Dirty Dozen list (highest in pesticides), as well as the Clean 15 list (lowest in pesticides). You can save a lot of money by purchasing the Clean 15 items conventionally. Here is a link to a website that offers those lists.

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

Good luck with whatever choice you make! :flowerforyou:
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

I personally don't believe that eating organic is expensive. When I started eating 100% organic, my grocery bill dropped by about half. I use a CSA year-round, so all of my fruits and veggies are local, organic, and produced about 15 miles from my home...it's $500 for the entire year, and I get so much stuff I am never able to use it all, so I take what I know I can't finish to work for others to have. That's less than $50 a month for all organic fruits and veg. As for the other things, I spend between $20-$40 a month on organic products (grains, proteins, oils, etc.).

If you're willing to take some time to plan it all out, it's not only cost-effective, but extremely rewarding knowing you're not putting toxic junk into your system!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options

This!

But organic just tastes soo much better. Except bananas. I've never noticed a taste difference there.

As far as organic re environment. Local meat and produce makes a huge difference environmentally. But, I live in Canada, unless I want to spend the whole winter eating...I guess canned organic, it's not going to happen. Do they even make canned organic?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to buy all organic, then I can't imagine why you wouldn't. What reason could there be for wanting the added chemicals?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

No they don't
    On the basis of a systematic review of studies of satisfactory quality, there is no evidence of a difference in nutrient quality between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs. The small differences in nutrient content detected are biologically plausible and mostly relate to differences in production methods.

There is also a recent study concluding that birds prefer seed that is conventionally produced over seed that is organically produced – likely because conventional production methods result in a 10% higher protein content.

And if you think that organic farmers don't use pesticides, you're sadly mistaken:
    With regard to pesticides, it must also be noted that organic farming, while using methods to minimize pests and the need for pesticides, still uses organic, rather than synthetic, pesticides. For example a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture is commonly used. Such pesticides are not as well studied as synthetic pesticides, often require more applications, and may persist longer in the soil. In fact the use of “natural” pesticides is nothing more than an appeal to the naturalistic fallacy – there really is no evidence for superior safety, and they have not been adequately studied.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/is-organic-food-more-healthful/

but they do have higher concentrations of mutagens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxE9sYatPAs
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I notice the biggest differences in the meats.. I get mine from the local Mennonites. Compared to regular stuff, it tastes fuller. And the fat in ground beef runs clear, not cloudy like the store-bought crap. I think the fat is where all the antibiotics and hormones go. The fat in grass-fed beef has CLA so I don't cut it off, and the omega-3 content in grass-fed beef is much higher than store-bought.

Changing the source of meat for me was one of the best dietary choices I've made, I think.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I notice the biggest differences in the meats.. I get mine from the local Mennonites. Compared to regular stuff, it tastes fuller. And the fat in ground beef runs clear, not cloudy like the store-bought crap. I think the fat is where all the antibiotics and hormones go. The fat in grass-fed beef has CLA so I don't cut it off, and the omega-3 content in grass-fed beef is much higher than store-bought.

Changing the source of meat for me was one of the best dietary choices I've made, I think.

You are absolutely correct.

There is a big difference in the fat that runs off from any kind of meat from the grocery store vs locally farm raised.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

This!

But organic just tastes soo much better. Except bananas. I've never noticed a taste difference there.

As far as organic re environment. Local meat and produce makes a huge difference environmentally. But, I live in Canada, unless I want to spend the whole winter eating...I guess canned organic, it's not going to happen. Do they even make canned organic?

I am talking about the organic cookies and such............still junk food.

Yes, I see some organic canned vegetables on the shelves in the natural and organic section of the store.
  • perrybucsdad
    perrybucsdad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, the stuff is better for you (so they say) but really, eating your money would have less calories and about the same cost per ounce (give or take a few). ;)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is Organic fruits and veggies still contain pesticides.. and they taste the same.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options

^ EXACTLY! Stick with whole foods (meaning real food that can be reaped from the earth) - fruits and vegetables should be your main source of calories. Things that are processed *can* be healthy and fit into a well balanced diet but should be approached with caution: anything in packages such as cereals (even brans, whole wheat, whole grain, etc.), pastas. Basically anything manufactured.

Organic chicken and beef are particularly important as many commercially grown animals are fed terrible diets and live horrible lifestyles (and thus have abx and hormones to force growth and "health" -- and the meat is only as healthy as the animal it comes from!

Linkage:

Importance of organic chicken and beef:
    http://products.mercola.com/organic-chicken/

• Shannonnn92
    Shannonnn92 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I try to eat mostly organic, really there isn't a downside to it other than it being slightly more expensive, but I believe that it's worth it... especially when it comes to produce.
  • lissamok
    Options
    I try to buy organic when I can, but I mostly focus on locally grown products and only buy produce that is in season. I find that it actually is less expensive to eat this way and much tastier.