I want to lose fat! Is 1200 calories a day too little? Help!

Options
I am 25 years old and over the last two or three years have put on almost 40 pounds. I went from being 118 to 146 and have felt really unattractive. I finally got my act together, joined lucille roberts, and have been going five days a week for almost a month. I do two work out classes a day which adds up to 90 minutes of aerobic and strength training mixed together. I feel I am getting a great workout but when it comes to the amount of calories I should be eating I get confused. I want to burn fat and expose the old me. I have always been active and am a muscular person so my main goal is to burn off my excess fat. Therefore, is 1200 calories a proper maximum amount for my body to ingest a day? is it too much? too little? Some people say they dont eat less than 1500 a day so I just really dont know if I am doing this right. I need advice because I want all the work that I am putting in every morning to pay off by the time summer rolls around! If anyone has some advice for me I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight for a while. But if you jump all the way down to 1200, what are you going to do when progress stalls (which it will)?
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Try the Olivia Method - do a search for it - there are a few threads that explain it well.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My goal for the day is a 1500 calories base and half of my exercise calories. It can be hard to do that at times but I try to make sure I get 1200 net (food - exercise) every day. I don't feel like I am hungry through out the day as well because I spread it out over 5 small meals.