Advice on moisturiser/make up for dry skin

Options
TriedEverything
TriedEverything Posts: 172 Member
Hi,

I take it anything goes on this section of the forum (within reason! :tongue: ), so I was wondering if anyone could give me some skin care advice? By the way, I'm in my 40's and living in the UK.

I tend to have really dry skin on my face - I have really only ever used Astral cream (cheapskate huh?! :laugh: ) as my Mum has always sworn by it. But when I put on make up (foundation) - having applied the cream first - I find that after a while, the dryness of my skin starts to show through the make-up, and it looks horrible! A few months ago, I enquired in Boots the chemist about this, but the lady I asked was a rep for a particular company, and sold me some of their stuff (quite expensive), which she claimed would be great for me - plus she gave me a free sample of some serum to apply at night - but it's as bad as ever! So I don't want to shell out another lot of money unless I'm fairly sure it will make a difference. Also, does it take a while for these products to start being effective? (I may have given up too quickly with the serum stuff ).

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a serious skin condition - it's just dry & flaky at times, which seems to be more noticeable with make-up on. I don't wear make-up every day either - infact I can go a week without wearing it sometimes.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has experienced this, or anyone who knows anything about skin care & could point me in the right direction! Or alternatively, does anyone know of anywhere where I could go for good (unbiased) advice? :smile:

Replies

• VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I suffer from severe psoriasis and dry skin, on various parts of my body. I also haev oily skin. What a pain.

I use Mary Kay products. I've never had something work as well - and I'm allergic to everything else, so when I discovered Mary Kay, I fell in love with it.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I suffer from severe psoriasis and dry skin, on various parts of my body. I also haev oily skin. What a pain.

I use Mary Kay products. I've never had something work as well - and I'm allergic to everything else, so when I discovered Mary Kay, I fell in love with it.

I use Mary Kay as well. :)
  • chrissyw63
    chrissyw63 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For me, Clinique has worked wonders ... especially the All About Eyes moisturizer ... I tend to get real dry around my eyes and that's made a world of difference.
  • melissanne81
    Options
    Cetaphil cream. It's cheap!
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I qualified as an aromatherapist and the more natural the product the better if you can get almond oil add a few drops of chamomile oil and rosewood or sandalwood oil ( a good chemist or Neals Yard) they are expensive but will last you for ages about 10 drops to 100 mls

Coconut oil is also very good for night time. I have dry skin and also use Boots botanics it doesn't have to be expensive and little is better.

for foundation I tend to use a liquid make up and apply very little removing excess with cotton wool.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I have Rosacea, and just a bit of psoriasis on my face. So yeah, I feel you.

I can't use Mary Kay, cause it makes me break out, not sure if you have it over the pond anyway.
    Clinique burns me.

The only thing I can use now is good old Oil of Olay, I like the anti aging one cause it's a bit thicker. And, super cheap. I figure it works for my grandma, and she looks fantastic.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to Sephora and have them help you pick something for your skin. I went a few weeks ago, and I've already seen a vast improvement in my skin! Also...drink a ton of water! Over 8 cups, if possible!
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've become obsessed with Johnson's Aloe and Vitamin E Baby Lotion. And I recently started using Johnson's baby wash when I shower, too.
  • ampaules
    Options
    Try Oilatum moisteriser! You can get it at boots and it's lovely for dry skin!

Hope that helps!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I use Aveeno everyday on my face and hands and it works great
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    While someone is on the subject, anyone have any skin care recommendations for really oily skin? It's ironic, I'm out of foundation and I was just thinking about this this morning.
  • HazelElfwand
    Options
    Cetaphil cream. It's cheap!

Aside from being cheap, my dry skin/patches of eczema have never looked or felt better!!! My skin feels like porcelain!!! I also use Mac foundation
  • ampaules
    Options
    Also, when it comes to serums and moisturisers, it can take a while for it to take effect, especially serums. Sometimes 2 to 4 weeks, occasionally 6. But, usually moisturisers, you can see an effect in about 3 or 4 uses.

If you feel like your skin is in dire need to moisture, so a oil cleanse with a product caleld Bio Oil (you can get it at boots or superdrug I think) then follow that up with a moisturiser like oilatum!
  • lissamok
    Options
    Eucerin has really helped me with my dry skin, especially in the winter when I tend to get dry, scaly patches on my cheeks.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I use Olay for day to day stuff (with SPF 15) I get some sore dry patches every now and then and need something heavier/thicker. When my skin is sore I really like Aveeno (You can get it at Boots) gets my skin back to normal, but it's too heavy for me for everyday, summer use
  • I would strongly suggest you go to ewg.org and search the products people recommend so that you can decide for yourself which product is right for you.

Anyways, I recommend using Cerave PM moisturizer. It's cheap, noncomedogenic and feels light on the skin.

Personally, I buy hyaluronic serum and mix it with a little bit of rosehip seed oil let dry and continue with my morning routine. I buy all my ingredients or pre-made natural serums, moisturizers, etc at gardenofwisdom.com

Finally, another contributing factor to your dryness might include not wearing sunscreen. If this is the case, I would definitely suggest that you wear it to protect your skin :) Make sure that you look for physical sunscreens (contain zinc) instead of chemical sunscreens (contain titanium dioxide). You can also use ewg.org to look up the ratings of any potential sunscreen you plan to buy :)
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I have oily skin so I can't speak from first-hand experience. However, my mom has super dry skin that she sometimes describes as saltine cracker skin. Really? Saltine cracker? Really. She says she feels like her face will crumble off. (I admit, I LOL at this whenever she says it).

For daytime, she loves the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (NOT GEL!! the gel is for oily skin). She uses it by itself and under makeup. She swears by that moisturizer, she has used it for years :) I used it once (because I ran out of my dramatically different moisturizing GEL, and my face turned into an oilfest). So I guess it works for you peeps with dry skin.

As for makeup, again, I can only speak from what I know works for my mom. She rarely wears foundation but when she does she uses the MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation and it looks amazing on her.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Have you ever tried Dr. Hauschka? I first bought the cleanser and moisturizer when I was in Europe, and now I can find it here in the States. In the winter I tend to have very dry skin and I found that line to be pretty gentle but provided good moisture.
  • ampaules
    Options
    Gel cleansers are best for oily skin. One I can think of off hand is Mario Badescu's enzyme cleansing gel, great stuff. Also, try a gel moisturiser like clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel (make sure it's the gel, not the lotion, since you have oily skin, the lotion one may leave you're face looking greasy!)

I'm not a skin expert by ay means, but I've tried a ton of products and I have oily skin one half of the year and really dry the other, and combination in the spring, so, I deal with all types all the time, and this is what I have found works for me during my oil season, haha.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just to say thanks for all your replies - wow, lots of suggestions! Feel slightly bamboozled, but at least I have some ideas to go on. I suppose it will just be trial & error now, to find the right thing!

I also take the point about drinking water - if I'm honest, I really haven't got into the way of doing this as much as I should (I rarely meet the recommended 8 glasses per day). I drink other things, mostly containing caffeine, which probably dehydrate me!! :ohwell:

Anyway, thanks again everyone, you are a very helpful bunch of people :flowerforyou: