Which is better.... Working out first thing in the morning o

Options
I have only been at this for 3 weeks, so I am still figuring out my work out schedule... But was just was curious what you all thought about morning vs evening workouts. On the one hand I have heard working out in the morning is better because it gets your heart racing and starts your day burning more calories. But then I have also heard exercising in the evening works better because you are burning off all the food you ate for that day.

Right now I work out in the evening because that works best for me and I can stick to that. But I wondered does it really matter what time of day you do it, as long as you are exercising? OR would it be even better to do a short exercise in the morning and another in the evening?

Just wondering what you all's experience is with this is & what you found is more beneficial. Thanks!

Replies

• mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I have repeatedly tried to get up earlier to work out, it's just not a good idea if you are NOT a morning person. If you ARE a morning person, take advantage of that and work out in the morning. Working out in general is best but I've heard morning is better.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Let personal preference and life circumstances dictate when you work out.

As far as trying to manipulate whether or not you're burning the muffin you ate at 6pm or what have you, I would urge you to stop thinking in those terms.

Control your total daily intake of calories and increase your calorie expenditure via exercise. Beyond that, don't bother with micromanaging the stuff that isn't important in the big picture.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do you take out the garbage the night before or the morning of? It's a similar dilemma.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I work out whenever my body feels like working out...sometimes it's in the morning after I take the kids to school and sometimes it's shortly before bed. As long as you can stick with consistently working out, the time of day is inconsequential.
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Forget about what you've read about 'in the morning you burn more fat/kick start metabolism' - in reality the best time to workout is when YOU feel best. Most important is getting your *kitten* moving, trying to do it when it's not practical for you is just going to make you more likely to think of excuses not to.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    personally, i work out in the morning. if i wait until i get home to do it, i won't. after working all day, having to cook dinner, do dishes, care for my daughter, etc...i just don't have the time. plus i shower in the mornings, so i work out first then shower. that means i have to get up 1/2 hour earlier in the morning, but i've gotten used to it and i'd rather just get it over and done with at the beginning of the day.

as to whether its "best" or more "beneficial" to work out in the evening or morning...i have no clue!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I always heard it is better in the morning...but I do mine at night!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    whatever keeps you working out on a regular basis
  • andreacord
    Options
    It's just a matter of personal preference. I go in the morning even though I'm not a morning person, simply because I won't do it at the end of the day because I find a ton of excuses not to go. I used to work out at night during high school because that's the only time I had available to do it but it kept me awake super late so I don't anymore. Listen to your body and find what works for you!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    It's all about what you prefer. I like doing it first thing in the morning to get it out of the way; that way I'm less likely to make excuses and put it off :)
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The only reason why it is a bad idea to work out close to bedtime would be if it gets you hyper.
  • cynhip
    cynhip Posts: 33
    Options
    I read somewhere that splitting ur workouts half in the morning half at night, is okay. It's easier on your body and evens ur matabolism throughout the day plus u still burn the same amount of calories. That's what I read anyhow.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    All great answers -- I prefer morning however, on an empty stomach... Most active that way!!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    There is no best time of day if you're talking physically. It's whatever works best for you.

A lot of people like mornings because there are less distractions and less chance of you getting tied up doing something else. I am NOT a morning person, so evenings work much better for me. As long as you do it some time throughout the day, you're golden.

If you wait too late, though, you may have a little more trouble sleeping just because it takes your body a little bit of time to settle back down. I've always heard to stop at least an hour before going to bed.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Let personal preference and life circumstances dictate when you work out.

^^ That.

I can only fit my exercise in my schedule at 6 am, so that's what I'll do.

I am always joking that when I get up this early, I am too tired to really know what I am doing, so I just start walking. After work, I am too tired and have a hard time to get motivated, although I have had to schedule work-outs at night when it didn't work out any other time.
  • Otis_Toussaint
    Options
    Glucose and insuline levels in the morning are low, so take advantage of this. I do my cardio training early in the morning, eat then do some strength training at lunch time. There's nothing like that morning PT session via Army training.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Honestly ... Whatever works for you ! If you'll stick to a night regimen more so than a morning ... to each is own. Just make sure your eating accordingly and if working late at night only have a healthy snack of protein within 45 min of normal heart rate.

Personally I do both ... my schedule flex's me between days and nights ... so I just mix it up ! People will tell you that a morning regimen is better for you and it very well may be ... but if you don't stick to it ... that's an epic fail ! Just do what you love and love how you do it ! :happy:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I have repeatedly tried to get up earlier to work out, it's just not a good idea if you are NOT a morning person. If you ARE a morning person, take advantage of that and work out in the morning. Working out in general is best but I've heard morning is better.

Bull****.

I was never a "morning person" until I made myself dedicated to getting up between 5:30-6:30am every morning. Now, I love being up early and getting things done. I enjoy going to bed by 9:30-10:30.

Personally, I think working out is better during the mornings. I always feel much better all day.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    When I workout in the morning I am ravanously hungry all day and I snack cause, you know, I went running at 6:30am, I deserve it!

I tend to workout in the evening before my main meal. Then I can shower and eat a good, protein packed veggie filled meal and feel smug and satisfied
  • pinn44
    pinn44 Posts: 68
    Options
    If you can get up in the AM to do the workout it's a great energy booster. I used to get up at 6 am and work out before going to work and I'd be full of energy throughout the entire day. Since I stopped working out for a couple of years I'm not able to get up early anymore. Not much of an early bird. If you can do it try it. Like a lot of people have said it's really a preference.