How do I know?

Options
Recently I have slightly changed my calorie intake and workout goals. I have upped my calorie intake to about 1500 (from 1200) and am beginning to add in heavy lifting 2-3x a week. At my current calorie intake, I am still operating at a slight deficit. I know that trying to build muscle while eating at a deficit will only be effective for a limited amount of time. (I am new to lifting heavy but not new to cardio and not new to lifting *some*.)

So how do I know when I've reached the point that in spite of my protein and fat intake, I'm losing lean weight as well as fat with my calorie intake? Because I do have some fat I still want to lose.

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting and eating adequate protein, you shouldn't worry too much about losing lean mass. If your goal is still fat loss, keep doing what you're doing.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements if you have not already. That should prove that you are doing what you are supposed to be doing if you are still losing inches.

Good luck!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well, I am trying to build muscle as well. I was more focused on cardio than weights, and that got boring, so now I want to focus more on getting stronger...but I don't want to gain any more fat. I know I sort of want to have my cake and eat it too...but being a novice lifter, I know I can sort of get away with it for a little while.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    If you're av is even somewhat accurate, I'd say don't be in a deficit any longer. Only beginning lifters that are obese can have some (marginal) muscle gains with a cal deficit.
  • mirgss
    Options
    I'm sorry, what's "av"?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I am right there with you and trying to figure ths out.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, what's "av"?

I think he means AVatar
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You won't know. Even though, yeah, you might build some muscle on a deficit (this is highly debated here on MFP but most experts agree that it can rarely be done) you can't really count on it. You can attempt a "body recomp" which is, I think, where you eat at maintenance and hope your lifting forces your body to build a little bit of muscle and burn a little bit of fat. Or you can do traditional "bulking/cutting" cycles where you either focus on building muscle (eating at a surplus) or cutting fat (eat at a slight deficit as to preserve as much muscle as possible). A lot of people will lose all the fat they want first before they start bulking. I started bulking when I still had about 10lbs of extra fat.
  • mirgss
    Options
    I think he means AVatar

Oh. Ahahaha. Of course. Me = dumb.
  • mirgss
    Options
    I started bulking when I still had about 10lbs of extra fat.

This is about where I'm at - 10-15 lbs. There is so much information..kinda overwhelming :/