the last 10 lbs

Options

Replies

• abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The last 10 pounds are THE hardest. I'm right there with you as I'm in the home stretch after losing 111 pounds in a year. I see the goal line and now I'm crawling to it!!! I would suggest eating at your BMR, eating more lean protein, less carb, do high intervals with your cardio and increase your weight lifting and do reps to failure. Hang in there.
    I love your profile pic!!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week, increase the amount of strength training you do and eat back your exercise calories.

Agree! I wasted a lot of time trying to be too aggressive in my calorie restriction. I was successful with a smaller deficit.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options

In order to lose the last 10, I had to back my weight loss down to 0.5 lb/week, then the weight started coming off again. I completely disagree with the person who said you have to give up carbs- totally wrong. *Some* people are carb sensitive, some are not. I am not, eat carbs every day, and am doing just fine. If there is one thing you take away from MFP, let it be that what works for one does not work for everyone.

AGREED I lost most of my weight sticking to the low carb diet but I would never insist it was the only way to go.... I'm lucky it worked for me..... :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Well, it has been explained to me, by a doctor, that belly fat comes from carbs and butt fat comes from fat. To lose the belly fat, you decrease your carbohydrates and eat more lean protein, to lose the butt fat, you eat "good" carbs and cut back fat,.

When I stopped drinking (all sugar) I dropped 20 lbs and a big portion of it came off my belly. Beer gut anyone?
    When I started exercising and watching my fat intake, my butt started shrinking, lost another 20.

So, after working with a trainer, doctor and nutritionist, and having real life experience, this is true for me.
    Holy bro-science, Batman.
  • killagb
    Options
    Set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week, increase the amount of strength training you do and eat back your exercise calories.

Agree! I wasted a lot of time trying to be too aggressive in my calorie restriction. I was successful with a smaller deficit.
    Spike days never hurt either!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! this is what I needed today! Gonna fix me some lunch and come back to this great reading material! I am in the last 10 pounds club too and I am going absolutely nutty trying to figure out what to do! I knew it would be hard but for goodness sake somethings gotta give and right now I think it is my mind!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Losing 10 lbs doesn't mean your belly will be any better looking. It's all about a reduction in body fat which means a clean diet. It's about a small deficit and strength training. Case in point, the link below. Girl gained 10 lbs and is more lean and cut than ever.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Well, it has been explained to me, by a doctor, that belly fat comes from carbs and butt fat comes from fat. To lose the belly fat, you decrease your carbohydrates and eat more lean protein, to lose the butt fat, you eat "good" carbs and cut back fat,.

When I stopped drinking (all sugar) I dropped 20 lbs and a big portion of it came off my belly. Beer gut anyone?
    When I started exercising and watching my fat intake, my butt started shrinking, lost another 20.

So, after working with a trainer, doctor and nutritionist, and having real life experience, this is true for me.

This loss you experienced was from a calorie deficit. This is just silly to think that "belly fat comes from carbs and butt fat comes from fat."
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I read somewhere that the last few pounds will always be the hardest because they are vanity pounds. Your body is telling you that it's fine at its current weight. You don't need to lose those last 10-15 pounds. So it holds onto those pounds for dear life. You have to drastically shake up your routine to convince your body to let them go. Some do this by fasting one day. Or the opposite, eating like crazy for one day. Either option is probably drastic compared to your current routine and will shock your body into letting those last few pounds go...good luck.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck too. I have been the same weight since December 2! Granted the whole time has been slow for me. I started in July and have only lost 18 pounds. I have 10 more to my goal and it's SLOWWWWWW. It goes slower for me when I exercise. If I just do 1200 cal it comes off easier but when I exercise it's damn slow. Oh well, I know it's better to exercise so if I have an extra 10, I guess I won't die. Haha.

Are you drinking any alcohol? That kills any weight loss for me at all. Even a stupid glass of organic red wine within my calorie limit and it still stalls me completely.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I do agree that the last bit is the worst. Play around with your intakes and such. What works for some may not work for you and thus you've gotta figure that out on your own :)
    Oh, and I think if you get rear-end padding from fat I'm going to go buy a piece of fat back for dinner!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

You don't say? Very interesting...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm stuck too. I have been the same weight since December 2! Granted the whole time has been slow for me. I started in July and have only lost 18 pounds. I have 10 more to my goal and it's SLOWWWWWW. It goes slower for me when I exercise. If I just do 1200 cal it comes off easier but when I exercise it's damn slow. Oh well, I know it's better to exercise so if I have an extra 10, I guess I won't die. Haha.

Are you drinking any alcohol? That kills any weight loss for me at all. Even a stupid glass of organic red wine within my calorie limit and it still stalls me completely.

Alcohol is considered a toxin to the body so when it's in the system, your body fights to get it out. There are some studies that show alcohol can slow your metabolism or metabolic activities.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Diddo!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I hope this is a joke,

If not, I am surprised at how bad that advice was coming from a professional. Most MD's have very limited education in nutrition, and I guess this was one of those that had very little. you cannot spot reduce, from exercise or diet, your body chooses where it loses and there is nothing you can do about that, other then liposuction.3

What you experiences was correlation, not causation. I am sure during that time you were in a caloric deficit, so your body chose to lose where it lost, it had nothing to do with the type of calorie consumed.

Correlation =/= causation

I agree, I don't think the body knows "hm...I just ate some bread, so we'll pocket this right here on the belly. Oh, ice cream? Onto the butt you go!".

We all need carbs and fats, and if we overdo either of them we gain weight. Simple really.
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. now I feel like I'm stuck with this belly:sad:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am going to post this video and leave this thread.

This is part one, parts 2-5 are under this video.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/biggest-body-breakthroughs-pt-1
  • jennyprm138
    Options
    The only way I could get off the last 10lbs was by cleaning up my diet really well, eating completely clean.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

FYI: Not everything on TV is true.
  • killagb
    Options

Did you really just post Dr. Oz to support your bro-science? Wow. :noway: