Aspiring Vegans.

Options
So my News Years resolution was to go vegetarian again, as I was previously veggie over a decade ago.
Then my good friend who is a naturopath recommended a book to me that changed my life forever, The China Study. I quickly transitioned to Vegan. This is actually the first week since the New Year that I've started feeling comfortable with being a Vegan. It was a very hard transition- not from the meat by any means, or milk, but cutting out cheese completely. However, I was able to make a week full of very scrumptious Vegan meals and now I'm realizing I can really do this. My husband is very supportive but it's been a bit challenging for my kids. The only thing they are struggling with is soy or almond milk on there cereal. However, I've been waking up earlier to make then pancakes, waffles, smoothies & steel cut oats just so they don't feel so deprived. Anyways, just looking for fellow Vegans or aspiring Vegans friends.

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My kids have had soy milk since they were little. My youngest had to have formula starting around 7 months and the only one he tolerated well was soy formula. Everything else gave him gas. I drink soy milk and they have always liked it too. I wish you the best with your transition! Before you know it I'm sure your kids, like mine, will prefer the new soy and almond milk to the old stuff in their cereal. :)
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I saw "Forks Over Knives," which highlighted The China Study for a good portion of the movie. It managed to convince both my husband and me to start weaning ourselves off meat, eggs, and all dairy and move toward a whole-food, plant-based (vegan) diet.

I say weaning because we still have/had a lot of animal products around, and rather than waste the food by throwing it out, we're just making our way through it and not replacing it once it's done. The real test starts next week, as we've been out most nights this week and haven't food shopped quite yet. I'm really excited, though!
  • sedelagarza
    sedelagarza Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are vegetarians. I have tried sooooooo hard to go vegan but I have a hard time giving up cheese and Mayo. Most all our dinners are vegan but I have a hard time with breakfast because a lot of recipes involve tofu and I cant stand it. Any breakfast ideas that don't involve tofu besides pancakes and oatmeal?
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Whole foods has great granola, or just any bulk granola is good, I find the breakfast on the go nut packs are great.... I alos tend to eat leftovers for breakfast but I am weird like that lol
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are vegetarians. I have tried sooooooo hard to go vegan but I have a hard time giving up cheese and Mayo. Most all our dinners are vegan but I have a hard time with breakfast because a lot of recipes involve tofu and I cant stand it. Any breakfast ideas that don't involve tofu besides pancakes and oatmeal?

I don't eat oatmeal but these 2 ideas are pretty similar:

Quinoa with dried fruit, nuts and almond milk. I also like Bob's Red Mill 7-grain cereal.

Vegan Family Meals by Ann Gentry is a great book.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I turned vegan on the first of January and so far it's going very well. I feel tons better. I watched 2 documentaries that put me off all animal products. Hence why I am now vegan :)
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My family uses French Vanilla Coconut milk, DYIA "cheese" is the best and veganise is a great vegan mayo :)
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options

You could try an alternative yogurt such as soy or coconut milk based ones with granola and fresh fruit. My favorite breakfast is a green smoothie with added protein. (You can use a vegan protein powder here or not use any at all). Pair your smoothie with a slice of toast plain or with jam. Google some breakfast recipes, there's quite a bit out there!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian...but have never liked drinking dairy milk. I'd say to experiment with other milks...and kids being what they are, involve them in choosing the milk...have taste tests, etc. I found that different milks work best for different uses.

I found, for example, that rice milk tastes more like "milk" on cereal. Its has less of a taste. They may also like coconut milk...not the cooking kind in cans, but the kind formulated for drinking, etc.

Good luck with your vegan adventure!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian, transitioning to vegan for ethical reasons.

For breakfast I typically have cereal with almond milk, or when I'm being healthier, nuts and berries with almond milk. Always looking for new breakfast ideas.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i was vegan till i was 8 (my mother) and vegetarian till i was 16 (me). i eat meat now. i buy organic, free range, ect. but i do that for me.

people have been eating meat for thousands of years, if my body can properly digest it (unlike processed grains ect) then i will eat it. :3

i often eat vegan/veggie alternative though. just because it tends to be lower calorie and its how i was taught to cook. but i dont let it restrict my diet. that would just be silly imo.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. Rice milk is very similar to skim mil (to me) and I like that with my cereal. I don't care for soy milk, but I keep almond, hazelnut, oat and rice milk primarily. Hope things go well for you in your new vegan lifestyle. I agree, it isn't that hard and I went from omnivore to vegan literally overnight.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating vegan as well. i'll have to check out the China Study. Currently i'm working on switching to vegetarian and then we'll see from there, I'm definitely cutting out milk though and probably cheese (I am against just about everything that goes into the process of making cheese, it's just a matter of my tastebuds/habits catching up with my ethics)

I forget if it was the OP or someone else who mentioned having a hard time giving up cheese. After I found out that cheese has rennet (extracted from BABY cows after they are slaughtered) I decided that I will at least purchase vegetarian cheese because I haven't eaten veal for years and have a hard time separating the two

skywa I don't think it's silly to restrict ones diet to veggie/vegan. Just because a package says "free range" or "organic" does not mean that the animal was treated well and lived a good life. However, if that does not matter to you and you like the taste of meat then yes, it would be silly to restrict your diet.
  • runforitmarisa
    runforitmarisa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not sure which type of almond milk you are using but I find that the plain, unsweetened kind is most like the flavor of cow's milk. My son likes it even after having sweetened rice milk for the last 10 years or so. Good luck and congratulations on your decision! You and your family can become healthier because of it, and know that you are making an ethical and environmental choice as well. The lower we eat on the food chain the less land we use for farm animals and food to feed them.
  • libbym74
    Options
    My family followed the Physicians Committee for Socially Responsible Medicine (PCRM) 21-day Vegan Kickstart last year and we've stuck with it, for the most part. I felt tremendously better when I was following a vegan diet and I lost weight very quickly (and kept it off). I was rarely hungry or did not feel deprived. The recipes were delicious and easy to follow. Breakfasts on the kickstart included blueberry-banana pancakes, french toast, rice pudding made with rice milk, fruited quinoa, smoothies, and oatmeal.I also discovered a treasure-trove of delicious, easy recipes in Appetite for Reduction and other books by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and/or Terry Romero. I am going back on the vegan kickstart plan this Monday, and we're making vegan veggie pizzas tonight.
  • KNMD
    KNMD Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the 10% of the 10%.... I'll admit, I'm now only "Vegan-ish" (Very good vegetarian, baked-good eating vegan), but feel free to friend me or ask me if you have questions and I'll put my 11 years of experience into a response for you.

A quick list of my favorites...

1. Almond milk is my favorite milk replacement. It works well in cooking. I use almond milk in pancakes, waffles, and even mashed potatoes. I like the unsweetened original flavor.
    2. If you haven't found it yet, Energy Egg Replacement works well in almost every baking recipe I've ever tried.
    3. I also really love Polenta. It's a really quick starch for any meal.
    4. Breakfast, I usually do Oatmeal, but on weekends I like to do a potato or rice hash with lots of veggies.
    5. Amy's veggie burgers are my favorite veggie burgers.
    6. Wendy's Baked Potato and Side Salad is my preferred fast food (i put the salad dressing on the potato too).
    7. Asian food restaurants almost ALWAYS have a vegan option on the menu, no special ordering.
    8. Steak Houses are AWESOME for vegetarians/vegan as they have so many side dishes.
    9. Don't be afraid to make a meal out of sides when out with friends.
    10. Always say "No meat, no cheese" when you order... ALWAYS, especially salads and soups

Best of luck in all your endeavors.
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I went Vegan after the new year as well! Cheese was my biggest weakness also but now that its gone I feel great and rarely crave it.

A really helpful book is "Vegan Freak: Being Vegan In A Non-Vegan World" by Bob and Jenna Torres. It's great for people who are thinking about going vegan as well as new vegans and experienced vegans. There is great information for whatever stage you're in. It covers everything you'd ever want to know and it's pretty upbeat and funny.

As for milk I use Almond milk. It's not the greatest thing I've ever tasted but it works well when you need to wet your cereal down a bit. As for baking with it, I haven't gotten there so I'm not sure.

Feel free to add me if you need a vegan buddy!
  • rwozzie
    rwozzie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yay Vegans! :)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for decades, but an inconsistent vegan. Friend me if you like!
  • moniew24
    moniew24 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am really learning alot about being a vegan. I did the 10 day Daniel fast that pretty much makes you a vegan and I love the way I feel so I have continued it. I just have to continue to do my research on recipes and to be successful at it. Thanks Guys.