Any Hockey Players Out There?

Options
I have a question about how you might log a hockey game in your exercise. One of my games lasts about an hour long. However in that hour there is only 39 minutes of playing time (12, 12, 15 periods), plus a 3 minute warm up. THEN, within that 39 minute frame I may only get on the ice for about a quarter to half of that depending on how many defencemen are there. So out of all that, I'd technically only be logging 10-20 minutes of exercise per game. It make sense to me, but at the same time it feels like I'm burning so much more because I'm almost always sweating after a game.

I have a game tonight so I was curious. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • slickrick619
    Options
    For a 39 min game, putting in 20 minutes sounds about right. For my 45 min game I logged in 30 mins of playing time.
  • Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would add a little more because you have to understand if you did Interval training you are still buring calories inbetween sprints although you may be walking or even standing.

I would suggest trying to purchase a heartrate monitor so you can more accurately track your calories burned during the game. Many mid-level heartrate monitors have calories burnt as well and if you are looking to be more precise this may be the best way to go.

I'm a goalie so my time is even more erradic... one game I could log 30 min and next on 10-15... but truthfully I usually log about 15 min less than my total game time as I have constant ice time and I usually don't get time to sit and rest. Usually standing or squatting during the game.

Best of luck and who do you play for??? College? Women's Team or Men's Leauge?
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! When I get a little extra cash I may look into getting a heart rate monitor.

I play in a women's league in Southern Ontario. I've been on the same team with a group of my friends for years. We get some pretty good competition and it's obviously lots of fun playing with my friends.