Low carb

Hi all,

I'm wanting to try a low carb diet and I was wondering if anyone knew how many carbs count as low carb?? I've read conflicting information and was wondering if anyone on here might know.... Also, does anyone know how to change your daily carb allowance on here?

Thanks all,

Lost Gemma :)

Replies

• anchorageb2
    anchorageb2 Posts: 55 Member
    most of the low carb diets I have seen do not count calories. The atkins, 17 day diet, and others are all you can eat as long as you stick to there allowed foods. They would have no reason to use the calorie tracker.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Just go under home --> goal--> custom set up. But low carb is really unnecessary unless you have a a medical intolerance. But you can should for 30% carbs, 40% protein , 30% fat.
  • You change your carb and other nutritional allowances by going to GOALS from your home page, then scroll down to CHANGE GOALS and choose custom. On the next page you'll be able to change the percent of carbs out of your total daily caloric amount.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    most of the low carb diets I have seen do not count calories. The atkins, 17 day diet, and others are all you can eat as long as you stick to there allowed foods. They would have no reason to use the calorie tracker.

You can eat certain amounts on the allowed foods list. The low carb diets aren't exactly a free for all as many think.

I'm not doing an atkins induction or anything, but I'm keeping my carbs low and track everything I put in my mouth on the tracker here. i'm still toying with what makes me feel good and all that so it's always a work in progress.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    For some it's 50-100 (like paleo)
    For adkins it's 20 and under
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    For some it's 50-100 (like paleo)
    For adkins it's 20 and under

The 20 and under for atkins is ONLY FOR INDUCTION... and induction is only really meant to be for about two weeks ( can be longer though at personal preference). There are 3 other phases of atkins, Each with a jump in carb and added foods that can be eaten.

"Carbohydrates in Phase Four
    The fourth phase, or the Lifetime Maintenance Phase, aims at maintaining the diet habits you learned in previous phases. Restrict your daily carbohydrate intake to approximately 45 to 100g per day. You should still restrict high-sugar desserts, trans fats, excessive alcohol and simple carbohydrates. According to MayoClinic.com, Atkins suggests that if you are active and exercise a minimum of one hour per day, you may be able to increase your carbohydrate intake.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/346196-how-many-carbs-can-you-have-on-each-of-the-stages-of-atkins/#ixzz1kgefg43r"
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    It varies for each person. When I go on a low carb diet.. I keep my carbs under 20 for two weeks.. i eat lots of low carb veggies and lean protien. Then I kick it up to 40.. But some people can do as many as 100 and still lose weight.. I try to keep mine at 40 even on fitnesspal.. that is net carbs.. I subtract the fibre from each food to give me my net carbs.. I actully loose lots of weight on a low carb diet.. The problem is like ANY diet is keeping it off and not going back to the old bad way of eating...
  • frilly7483
    frilly7483 Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks all :)

I've edited the carbs but will play around and see what suits me. I don't want to go no carb but I know that processed carbs have got me into this position, and due to a possible diagnosis next week I might have to go formally low carb, fun times! I'm trying to eat more legumes for carbs which so far I am loving. I think seeing the 'red' where I've gone over will help me stay on track.

Fingers crossed!