Fage

Options
So I saw the greek yogurt thread the other day and decided to try it out. I'm not a big fan of honey, so I just got the plain and put in some sliced strawberries. It was OK. I guess I am so used to that sugary regular yogurt. I really liked how creamy it was though. If I get regular plain yogurt and strain it does it turn out the same?

Replies

• cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So I saw the greek yogurt thread the other day and decided to try it out. I'm not a big fan of honey, so I just got the plain and put in some sliced strawberries. It was OK. I guess I am so used to that sugary regular yogurt. I really liked how creamy it was though. If I get regular plain yogurt and strain it does it turn out the same?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Not exactly the same, but it's a LOT creamier. I hate how watery eating it without straining it is now. I buy either the Dannon or Meijer brand nonfat plain.
  • roccopico
    roccopico Posts: 28
    Options
    There is a yogurt brand Liberte. They have a six grain yogurt. It is very creamy and has no added sugar. It is sweetened with fruit alone. It has 160 calories and three grams of fat.
    Stonyfield farms organic yogurt is good and creamy too and you won't have to strain it.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you strain your yogurt, you'll lose the nutrients that are in the whey (the watery part), including most of the friendly bacteria that make yogurt so great.
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you strain your yogurt, you'll lose the nutrients that are in the whey (the watery part), including most of the friendly bacteria that make yogurt so great.

Is greek yogurt just strained or is it a different process that keeps the nutrients and bacteria?
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Is greek yogurt just strained or is it a different process that keeps the nutrients and bacteria?

I don't know... was kind of wondering that myself! I've never tried Greek yogurt, it always seems to be so much more expensive...
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    It is expensive, but its great on baked potatoes, it tastes just like full fat sour cream!!