Net Calories set lower than my BMR?

Options
2»

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any idea why MFP has my daily calories set lower than my BMR? If my BMR is what I would need to sit on my couch and breath, consuming just enough to stay alive, why set the net for 250 calories lower than that?
    MFP sets your goals based on your stated deficit which is a function of how many pounds per week you seek to lose.

And they set it BELOW your maintenance level which is 1.3 times BMR or as follows

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Here is a BMR calculator if you just want to make sure all is as it should be.

BMR Calculator
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

So to lose 2lbs a week I need to take in 800 calories a day and eat back my exercise calories.
    No.
    Go into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE! It should be somewhere around 1300 or so - whatever.
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES~!
    That's it.
    Again, quite simple.
    The easy part is the what to do; the hard part is the doing.

Good Luck!

But I want to lose 2lbs a week. AND at 1200 calories it says I will lose 1.3lbs a week.
    That's because what you seek to do is unhealthy.
    1 lb per week.
    This is not a race.
    MFP just won't enable us to harm ourselves with starvation diets.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the "smart" answers. I was questioning because it is WAY below my BMR and I have it set to lose .5 lbs a week and have lost 7 this past week doing nothing but eating the calories it has set. And I mistyped earlier when I said 250, it is 750 below my BMR.
    You asked for a deficit of 250, and it's giving you a deficit of over 750? No. Something is wrong with that. Where did you get the number for your BMR?