Total Noob wanting some advice and guidance...

Options
hi all

well i joined MFP a few days ago and so far so good, ive been watching what i eat prior to that and weighed in this morning having lost 4 pounds.

i am eating "clean" 90% of the time, the other 10% may be when im on the road and a grab a subway wrap or some sushi.

i joined Virgin Health club last week and swam yesterday morning, and did 20 lengths. i was amazed at how unfit i am. not so much breathing wise, my heart rate was at 120, but my legs and arms ached. very quickly.

tonight i did 5 mins cycling, 2 mins rowing and then did some free weights for my arms, kettlebell swings with a 4kg kettlebell and then used the chest and shoulder machines at varying weights dependant on what felt right, with 2 sets of 15 reps. i also did some planking and some core exercises that i use anyway from physio for my back a few years ago (i have a weak hip)

so anyway, i HATE cardio, BUT have signed up for a charity 5k on July 1st this year so need to get into it more, i find running difficult as my knees hurt ALOT, but think i may find it easier as my weight comes down...

anyway, any suggestions most welcome, i want to lose weight (about 60 pounds) but ultimately dont want to be super skinny and i want to keep my curves, think beyonce rather than kelly rowland.

thanks!

Replies

• melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    Check out C25k (couch to 5k). It'll help ease you into running with the goal of a 5k in mind. But if your knees are hurting so bad, a trip to the doc might not be a bad idea just to make sure there is nothing serious going on.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    thanks for replying melrose,

Doctor has clearly stated the grinding in my knees is due to weight pressure, ive seen a physio and podiatrist for the planter fasciitis in my feet and have orthotics for my shoes, again losing 10% of my weight will cure this!

i will indeed do some interval training...
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome.
    You have come to the right place. Getting fit is simple but hard.
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES~!
    That's it.
    Again, quite simple.
    The easy part is the what to do; the hard part is the doing.

Good Luck!
  • BabyFishMouth
    BabyFishMouth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great for cardio. You will build endurance, lung capacity and get your blood pumping, without putting any stress on your joints. I love it.
  • gallium
    gallium Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k is great

but also hit the weights you don't want top end up skinny-fat

i'd recommend doing strong lifts 5x5
  • Kiersten2014
    Options
    keep in mind, when you're losing weight by working out, you'll gain a lot of muscle mass which weighs more than fat so you'll "gain" more weight on the scale.
    make sure you eat 3 healthy meals a day.. & then something small, like 100 calories? in between those meals.
    This keeps your body in "fat burning mode" and out of "starvation mode".

When i lost 15 pounds in one month, i just ate smaller portions of healthy foods. snacked in between meals, & drank A LOT of green tea. like 5-6 cups a day. This really helps boost your metabolism to keep burning fat throughout the day. If you drink 1 cup of water, it boosts your metabolism for 90 minutes! so, drink a glass of water while you're eating and you'll feel fuller, then after a meal, drink another glass to keep you feeling full for a little while.

As for working out, i ran every day. i'm a rower, so i also used a rowing machine 4 times a week. (those are torture)
    i believe running is the best workout :) also, i think the stair stepper machines are fun for a while! but swimming is an EXCELLENT workout. keep it up!!

good luck! (sorry if this wasnt the answer you're looking for, but i hope it helps haha)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you don't like cardio, you don't have to do it. You can lose weight with a calorie deficit (like someone said, a pound a week is a great pace) and weight training. I'd really recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. It's a great program for beginners and it explains everything well including why you don't have to do cardio (I'm not a big fan of cardio either).
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    C25K is amaaaazing!! I got so much better so quickly with that. I wish my back wasn't playing up I'd be straight back on it...