Thoughts on personal trainers

Options
I am looking for input on personal trainers. I had one before and I thought he was awesome. My workouts were really good. And as an added bonus - I LOVED working out with the trainer. However I noticed that I can burn just as many calories in a class as I do with a trainer in the same amount of time. However, it is a different kind of workout with a trainer. I find myself wondering if for strength purposes - the trainer is worth investing in again. I do some strength training on my own but I am still not comfortable enough with myself to push myself on my own the way I do with the trainer. But, on the other hand ----is it necessary to strength train at the level you do with a trainer? Or is the little bit of strength I do along with the classes I take enough? I also occasionally work in body pump.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. Do you want to do more strength training on your own or are the classes that you taking enough for you?

A trainer can help you get more comfortable with all the machines/barbells/dumbbells, so that when you strength train on your own you don't get injured. They can also show you that you are capable of doing things that you think you can't do and how far you can push so that when you are on your own, you know how far to push.

Personally, I love working with my personal trainer.. and as long as I have enough money to cover the expenses, I will prob. keep it going. I have come so far in a year with my trainers that is redic.. and even now, I'm learning more then I've ever learned and am more confident because of it.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    i was approached today by the desk girl at my fitness club who i talk to alot and she suggested i have at least one session with this guy at the gym as he gets amazing results strength training and really fast, i think sometimes its worth having one put a program together for you and then seeing them every 6 weeks or so to change it... unless youre loaded ;)
  • clarkchittyp
    Options
    I have to say that when you worked out with your trainer I noticed that the net result was better body sculpting. You really looked good while you trained with him. It was the first time that I noticed a measured change in your problem areas. The spots that you were never able to accomplish on your own. I am not sure if you would continue to push yourself for those areas as you did while under the trainer. I personnaly believe that you have performed and pushed yourself harder and better under his care. If you think that you can continue to control your trouble areas by all means don't invest but if you doubt yourself then keep the investment. I have never seen you happier and more content with yourself.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    After I lose weight I will get a trainer for a few sessions... I know for the most part the workouts I want to do BUT I want them to watch and critique my form since I can't see myself at every angle :-) other than form purposes (even in a class setting) I think they are way expensive to just have them make you a plan. ( my one complaint about 30 DS is she BARELY talks about form and on many of the moves.. Not at all) a lot of people don't know that or how important it really is
  • dreamer1003
    dreamer1003 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! When I was working out with the trainer I definitely saw the most changes in my body shape. I just don't know if it was our style of working out or if it was all the dropped weight! I guess I just need to decide what is going to be best for me this go around. I know what is easier on the wallet....but sometimes an investment is well worth it.
  • clarkchittyp
    Options
    Amen!:love:
  • slstele1
    slstele1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are great to keep you motivated and keeping your muscles guessing. The reason you notice so much change while working with a trainer is because they will modify a program for you and get to know your limits and goals. PTs are trained to know when to change up your workouts, introduce new exercises and also give you good information about nutrition. They keep you responsible for your actions(i.e. diet and making appointments). With classes one can just skip and no one will really know. You can say to yourself you need a day off to rest but in reality you probably don't unless you really do your research. :) great investment just find one that suits you. All trainers are different.