Chicken Nuggets: How bad are they?

Options
2»

Replies

• GetMySkiniBack
    Options
    A friend of mine posted a photo on facebook yesterday of some pink stuff that looked like soft-serve ice cream. Turns out that it is the chicken-ish mash that they use to make nuggets, apparently. They add coloring to bring it back to beige/yellow. ((shudder))

I saw the same thing! It was, "Can you guess what this is?" Unbelievable! Unfortunately, my 9 year old son has eaten at McDonald's ONCE in his life. A sitter took him there when he was a toddler. He hasn't been back. My kids don't always eat what I want them to, but fast food is never an option for them.

www.skinnytaste.com has a great homemade "nugget" recipe that my kids love.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This was discussed yesterday.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466958-chicken-nuggets-yay-or-nay

Read pages 2-4. That pink gunk is NOT what chicken nuggets are made of. It is all 100% white meat, NOT mechanically separated chicken.

Though I need to correct something that I posted...mechanically separated chicken is NOT the entire carcass. It is a process used to separate the meat from the bone, NOT using all the extras (guts, heads etc). I checked Snopes after posting that and found out that was incorrect inormation.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

Good to know. I was wondering how they changed the texture enough to make it look like chicken. I've been a bit nauseated since I saw that photo.
  • bluenikita
    Options
    I don't eat chicken nuggets because they're too processed and the texture is icky to me.

But because of public outcry, most all nuggets these days are made from white meat and not from mechanically separated chicken - which is not as bad as that scare article makes it seem. Check out Snopes' page for a good look at it.

Is mechanically separated chicken GOOD? Nah, not for most of us who want healthier options - most of what it goes into comes out as very unhealthy products. But it is not as bad as the viral spam-email stuff makes it seem.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine posted a photo on facebook yesterday of some pink stuff that looked like soft-serve ice cream. Turns out that it is the chicken-ish mash that they use to make nuggets, apparently. They add coloring to bring it back to beige/yellow. ((shudder))
    I don't eat them because they taste awful, so I wouldn't know, but...They're beige/yellow inside? Shouldn't they be white?

True. She just said that they added the chicken color later. I wish I could copy and paste photos on here. It really was gross.
    What I'm saying is, "chicken color" isn't beige/yellow. The color on the outside of the nuggets is the breading...
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    McNuggets DID used to be made like that, but they changed the process in 2003 to make a better quality product. Some brands you find in the store still do use this process.

Now the meat is all white meat and is ground/minced and then shaped into nuggets, to make them uniform in size.
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This was discussed yesterday.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466958-chicken-nuggets-yay-or-nay

Read pages 2-4. That pink gunk is NOT what chicken nuggets are made of. It is all 100% white meat, NOT mechanically separated chicken. These photos are a scare tactic to get people to stop eating fast food, in an underhanded way.

Though I need to correct something that I posted...mechanically separated chicken is NOT the entire carcass. It is a process used to separate the meat from the bone, NOT using all the extras (guts, heads etc). I checked Snopes after posting that and found out that was incorrect inormation.

While fast food is not the best choice of food, it is still food. I still eat McD's after working there for 3.5 years as a manager (only left because I moved to the USA). Anything is fine to eat, as long as it is in moderation. It isn't going to kill you to eat a cheeseburger once in a while.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

You said it! Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell - it is all real food... just high in calories... eat in moderation and you will be fine ;-)
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    402205_10150592598781183_656546182_11524936_960131419_n.jpg

That's what's in a chicken mcnugget

Say hello to mechanically separated chicken. It’s what all fast-food chicken is made – things like chicken nuggets and patties. Also, the processed frozen chicken in the stores is made from it.

Basically, the entire chicken is smashed and pressed through a sieve — bones, eyes, guts, and all. it comes out looking like this.

There’s more: because it’s crawling with bacteria, it will be washed with ammonia, soaked in it, actually. Then, because it tastes gross, it will be reflavored artificially. Then, because it is weirdly pink, it will be dyed with artificial color.

But, hey, at least it tastes good, right?

MMM i love chicken nuggets!!! lol I really do