Yummy Nutritional Low Calorie Meals

Options
Well, I just totally fell in love with tortilla soup! Here's my recipe. The fun thing is that you can choose what ever veggies you want...whatever is lying around in your fridge, not being eaten. I took this recipe from the better homes and garden recipe book.

1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken or ground beef/turkey (I've made it with chicken and another time with ground turkey. It has less fat and calories than the beef or pork)
1/2 medium onion (I keep mine in huge chunks so my hubby can avoid them easily :) )
1 can of diced tomatoes (or 2 medium fresh tomatoes chopped)
1/2 Green pepper
1/2 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
2 cans chicken broth
2-3 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
(hot sauce to taste if desired)

I like to boil my chicken right in the broth and I add about 1-2 cups extra water. I put the seasonings and the onion in, too. Take the chicken out when it's cooked so it can cool. When it's cool enough to touch, chop it up into bite size pieces and replace in soup. Add all the veggies. Cook for as long as you want or as short as 30 minutes on medium heat. If you leave on stove for a long time, just simmer.
Enjoy with any kind of chips, tortillas, or baked tortillas and shredded cheese.

You can make it however you like. It's very filling and it has served me for about 7 meals.

Replies

• Itscrunchtime
    Options
    Well, I just totally fell in love with tortilla soup! Here's my recipe. The fun thing is that you can choose what ever veggies you want...whatever is lying around in your fridge, not being eaten. I took this recipe from the better homes and garden recipe book.

1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken or ground beef/turkey (I've made it with chicken and another time with ground turkey. It has less fat and calories than the beef or pork)
    1/2 medium onion (I keep mine in huge chunks so my hubby can avoid them easily :) )
    1 can of diced tomatoes (or 2 medium fresh tomatoes chopped)
    1/2 Green pepper
    1/2 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
    2 cans chicken broth
    2-3 tsp chile powder
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    (hot sauce to taste if desired)

I like to boil my chicken right in the broth and I add about 1-2 cups extra water. I put the seasonings and the onion in, too. Take the chicken out when it's cooked so it can cool. When it's cool enough to touch, chop it up into bite size pieces and replace in soup. Add all the veggies. Cook for as long as you want or as short as 30 minutes on medium heat. If you leave on stove for a long time, just simmer.
    Enjoy with any kind of chips, tortillas, or baked tortillas and shredded cheese.

You can make it however you like. It's very filling and it has served me for about 7 meals.