Not meeting the daily goal

Options
If I am off by say 100 in reaching my daily goal in burning calories does that put the chances of loosing weight off? I still don't get with burning the calories I earn more to burn? I haven't took advantage of that because I think that would defeat the purpose and make me maintain or gain weight. Please if anyone has a clear understanding of this I'd like to know.

I'm new to this so if it has been answered already please forgive me. :smile:

Replies

• Erica92627
    Options
    If I am off by say 100 in reaching my daily goal in burning calories does that put the chances of loosing weight off? I still don't get with burning the calories I earn more to burn? I haven't took advantage of that because I think that would defeat the purpose and make me maintain or gain weight. Please if anyone has a clear understanding of this I'd like to know.

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    You can always change your daily goal. Mine is set high and I go over - since I like to eat - a lot! You can set yours to 30 minutes a day - but depending on what you do - walking vs step aerobics say - your calories burned will be very different.

Good luck.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Never hesitate to ask, that's what we're here for! :flowerforyou:

In order to lose weight, you have to end up in a calorie deficit at the end of the day. 3500 calories is a pound in weight. So, the goal weekly is to shave off that many calories. Roughly 500 cal/day for 1lb loss. HOWEVER, you only want to lose 1-2 pounds a week in order to remain healthy and not shut down your metabolism. You will probably notice more rapid losses at times, and this temporary rapid loss is o.k. if you're still doing everything else right.

If you consume too few calories on a daily basis, your body will think it's starving and will hold on to excess fat as a safety mechanism. It will take a bit of time to figure out how many calories you should consume, and this will change as you lose weight/increase exercise. Listen to your body. If you are constantly fatigued or notice you can't kick a simple cold, try adding a couple hundred calories. A higher calorie splurge day can be o.k. too if the foods are still healthy. (You'll notice fruit and 100% juices are really high cal, but good for you.) This again will confuse your body & metabolism so that they don't become stagnant. This is why when you exercise, you are prompted to consume more calories.

If you want to do your own math, take your BMR(calories necessary to stay alive) + daily activity level (light, moderate, high) and subtract this from your total caloric intake for the day. The number should be near 500. It's that easy! :wink:

Hope this helps!
    Arianne :smile: