is Over 30 high risk???

Options
2»

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    My mom was 30 when she had me and 32 when she had my little bro. We are both perfectly fine. Even better, we are more than perfectly fine, we are awesome. My little brother has a gifted IQ and I'm, well, we'll say "above average" (not that it has to do with my mom's age, but you get the point). It is true that the older one gets, there is an increased risk for genetic defects to come into play..... but it's NOT 30!!!!! That woman is crazy!!! Your 30's are the perfect time for kids!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are not sure we want kids. Right now our dogs are kids but we agree that when I am 30 we will decide what we want. 30 is not too old. I have experenced horrible comments from my family and the older generation about my choices. They say that I am "selfish". If we want to make sure we are happy and can provide for a child then I guess we are!

People that have kids for the sake of having kids when they can't care for them are selfish.... because they had kids because THEY wanted them. Not having them is less selfish because you are thinking about their well being by not having them. I don't want kids either and I wish people would just mind their own business. Who cares what I want or don't want.
  • bugs5697
    Options
    It's always nice when co-workers give out medical advice for free. Otherwise we might need to see doctors and pay for it. That would just suck.

^^^^
    This. I also have a lot of friends that apparently received their medical degree overnight, online even.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are not sure we want kids. Right now our dogs are kids but we agree that when I am 30 we will decide what we want. 30 is not too old. I have experenced horrible comments from my family and the older generation about my choices. They say that I am "selfish". If we want to make sure we are happy and can provide for a child then I guess we are!

People that have kids for the sake of having kids when they can't care for them are selfish.... because they had kids because THEY wanted them. Not having them is less selfish because you are thinking about their well being by not having them. I don't want kids either and I wish people would just mind their own business. Who cares what I want or don't want.

Bump!!!

I agree 100% you are not selfish for choosing to wait! Why can people respect the fact that you want to wait for whatever reason it be. Especially your own family...hang in there hun and stay true to your convictions!
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Right! :) We love kids but we are not sure we ever want one of our own. It is nice to babysit then send them off. The freedom of not having kids is AWESOME! I like being able to do what I want when I want. Dogs are much cheaper, I think I might stick with them. Whats the worse that can happen? When we are in our 30's or 40's and we want kids and cant... holy schizballs theres this thing called adoption. :)
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Techically "advanced maternal age" doesn't begin til 35. I was AMA for my 2nd pregnancy, nice big sticker on my chart. LMAO

Your coworker sounds like an annoying know it all...but better yet, she doesn't KNOW anything.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Bull****. At 35 they start doing more blood tests because the odds of this that and the other thing being a problem are higher. I had those tests during my last pregnancy, at the advanced age of 37, and was told by the lab that I had the results of a 27 year old.

But don't trust me just because you read it on the internet - check www.whattoexpect.com, webmd.com, or ask your doctor.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    After age 30 there is an increased risk of your child having Down's Syndrome. There may be other risks that go up as well with age, but increased risk does not mean high risk. It just means it's higher than it was.

"Down syndrome affects about 1 in every 800 babies born, with a lower risk in younger women and a higher risk in older women. At age 30, for example, a woman has less than a 1 in 1,000 chance of conceiving a child with DS. Those odds increase to 1 in 400 by age 35. By 42, it jumps to about 1 in 60."

http://www.babymed.com/tools/down-syndrome-risk-calculator

Doing the math...between the ages of 30 and 35, the odds of downs increase from 0.1% to 0.25%. You are 3x as likely to have your car stolen than to have a baby with Downs.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children--my oldest was born when I was 33 and my twins were born when I was 37. All 3 are healthy and happy. My pregnancies went well and were textbook. I was fine. The kids were fine....still are.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It's always nice when co-workers give out medical advice for free. Otherwise we might need to see doctors and pay for it. That would just suck.

This made me laugh... good one and very nicely said too..