Polar FT4--Reviews Anyone?

Options
I am looking to buy a basic HRM with accurate HR and Calorie functions and this is the one I'm thinking of getting. Does anyone have it? Do you like it?

If not, which do you have and do you like that one?

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i have the ft4 and i LOVE it! just bought it the other day.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I just bit the bullet, bought it. Woo hoo! cannot wait to use it!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I have it and love it.

Easy to use and keeps data files for you which is nice if you work out more then once a day, the strap is comfortable as well.

I'd say go for it!!
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    love mine!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I have one and i absolutely love it. Id be lost without it.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I bought mine this week too. I looked at another one that was $25 cheaper, but after all the reviews on MFP for Polar FT4, I bit the bullet. I agree, the chest strap is super comfortable. I've found that the calorie count on my treadmill was wrong.....it UNDERestimated! The treadmill seems to always be about 50 cal lower than my Polar. The only thing I don't like about it is the color. :ohwell: It's a weird peachy flesh color.
  • drsteph01
    Options
    I love mine. Had it since August. Be sure to follow the directions for cleaning it. I wasn't very good about it and it started acting up on me and I'm pretty sure it was because I had let too much sweat dry on it. Be sure to rinse the band right away after each workout and then at least once a week do a better wash. Since I started making sure to do that all the time, issues have stopped.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    awesom choice I have one and love it!! It has been the single most important piece since I began working out and counting calories!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i was afraid i'd click "Buy" and then come back to all of these bad reviews. whew. thanks ladies for calming my anxieties! :) can't wait to use it!
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have one and I LOOOVE IT!!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Can any of you folks let me know if the strap on the FT4 is adjustable enough to fit really big chests?
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I just bought mine and I love it.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Can any of you folks let me know if the strap on the FT4 is adjustable enough to fit really big chests?

They make different strap sizes :) Also, it goes UNDER your chest (just below your breasts) and not actually around them, if that helps!

I'm sure they have the strap measurement sizes on their website (at least that would seem practical). You could see if they would work for your measurements. :)
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine..it was the best investment ever! :D
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for two plus years and I absolutely love it. I swim with it, I ride, I run, etc. It's the best. I've not had to change anything but the size of the strap....
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Love it. Very happy I got this one because I couldn't ask for anything more really. And I like that it's pink and not a big ugly manly thing! :P
  • carlyholly
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. It came with a M-XXL chest strap, which is for chests 27''- 60''. The only other chest strap you can get from them is a XS-S, for chests 21"-38". The M-XXL one comes with all the guy HRMs (just make sure if/when you buy one that it is the FT4M, not the FT4F). And even then, I think some of the F versions comes with a M-XXL strap as well.

I love my FT7. :)
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    can I asked the person who posted about cleaning it correctly-what do you clean it with? Mine has stopped working, maybe that will help.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    can I asked the person who posted about cleaning it correctly-what do you clean it with? Mine has stopped working, maybe that will help.

You are supposed to clean it after every 5 uses and rinse it after EVERY use.

See the online polar user manual that the hardcopy booklet you get references.

NOTE: This is for the FT7. It is unclear what model you are referencing. However, I believe there is an online manual for the FT4 as well.

http://www.polar.fi/e_manuals/FT7/Polar_FT7_user_manual_English/Polar_FT7_user_manual_EN.pdf

"Caring for Your FT7 Training Computer
    Training computer: Clean with a mild soap and water solution, dry with towel. Do not press buttons under
    water. Never use alcohol or any abrasive material (steel wool or cleaning chemicals). Keep in a cool and
    dry place. Do not store in a damp environment, in non-breathable material (a plastic bag or a sports bag)
    nor with conductive material (a wet towel). Do not expose to direct sunlight for extended periods.
    Washing Instructions for WearLink+ Transmitter
    WearLink+ transmitter: Detach the transmitter connector from the strap and rinse the strap under running
    water after every use. Dry the connector with a soft towel. Never use alcohol or any abrasive material (steel
    wool or cleaning chemicals).
    Wash the strap regularly in a washing machine at 40ºC/104ºF or at least after every fifth use. This ensures
    reliable measurement and maximizes the life span of the transmitter. Use a washing pouch. Do not soak,
    spin-dry, iron, dry clean or bleach the strap. Do not use detergent with bleach or fabric softener. Never put
    the transmitter connector in the washing machine or drier!
    Dry and store the strap and the transmitter connector separately to maximize the transmitter battery
    lifetime. Wash the strap in a washing machine before long-term storage and always after use in pool water
    with high chlorine content."
  • pinkstarr
    Options
    I'm researching HRMs as well but I only see the FT4 in the watch form. Is there a choice between chest strap or wrist (watch)? Is one more accurate than others?

Thanks!