Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I hate everyone equally.

I hate everyone more equally.

Racist.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Anti-white racism doesn't exist, dontcha know?
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    load of poop
  • Trophyyf
    Trophyyf Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've heard that being said, but it is the first time I've seen a campaign about it -.- And I can say that I am 100% white, and absolutely know what it's like to be treated differently because of the color of my skin. Racism is racism, no matter if it's a white person who hates Asians, or a Mexican person that hates whites.

I agree with you 100% I for instance was shocked when I was out with my children just a week ago and passed 2 African American girls and 1 young man. He started to say "just 2 ghetto a** black girls huh, yup 2!" First of all I was busy with my kids talking to them playing. I thought he isn't talking to me and didn't acknowledge him at all. When I walked passed them I didn't notice color, until he shouted it as I got further away. I then turned around and the two young women apologized and said to ignore him. I said to him are you talking to me? He just smiled so I said first of all don't talk like that in front of my children and second of all have some respect for the 2 young ladies you are with, ladies I'd be pissed if my friend addressed me like that to a complete stranger. Have a nice day...

I couldn't believe it I didn't do anything to him say anything. I didn't even notice him until HE brought attention to himself. I called my husband and I was upset and said to him. What the heck did I do? Why would he say that? I just didn't get it.

I guess my point is to assume I'm racists just because of MY color pisses me off and isn't that racist?
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I hate everyone equally.

That's what I do too! That's definitely the way to go!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    If the goal is to increase racial tension then they'll do a bang up job.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC, married to a black man, living in a section of Queens that is predominently black. I have gotten a lot of looks and comments about being a white woman in this neighborhood. Including one guy who told me to go walk my dogs in my own neighborhood - dont' bring them to his to **** on the lawns there (and btw my dogs were not on his lawn, we were across the street, no one was doing their business, and even if they were I ALWAYS scoop the poop). Even told me he if he saw me again was going to take out a gun & shoot my dogs (now we don't live in a bad area, its a nice residential neighborhood).

So I have experienced racism but I can also honestly say its the first time I've experienced any type of discrimination because of the color of my skin. I think the way the message of the ads is conveyed is inappropriate but I get, I think, what they are trying to say. Most American white people do not experience racism the way other races do. Hubby and his friends have had a lot of problems simply because they are black and intellectually white people can understand that it hurts, its wrong but they don't necessarily feel the true pain and frustration of it.

There may be other ways that they have been discriminated because of weight, age, height, etc and they are just as hurtful but its a different feeling with the racism.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    "One of the best metaphors for illuminating the cognitive challenges that white people face in regard to racism was coined by Peggy McIntosh (1989,1992). She described how whites carry an "invisible knapsack" of white privilege. White people carry race privilege as "an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks" (1989, p.10). This invisible knapsack has been available to white people since the inception of this country, the implicit racial contract upon which the nation was founded (Mills, 1997). The "special provisions" have been encoded into laws from the outset, when white people were granted citizenship and this right was denied to people of color (Lopez, 1996). The social construction of whiteness was reaffirmed consistently, although reinterpreted by US Courts, which have had a profound influence on who could enter this country and what rights they were afforded if they did get in (Lopez 1994, 1996). McIntosh (1992) listed up to 46 examples of the knapsack's provisions, or "invisible white privilege". They include:
    -to be consistently able to arrange to be in the company of people of your race -to be able to move to live in whatever neighborhood you can afford -to not be followed when shopping -to see yourself widely and for the most part positively represented in the media- to be taught that people of your race created a civilized democracy- to not have to consistently prove your credit-worthiness because of your race- to not have to protect your children from racism- to not be considered a "credit to your race" when you excel-to not be viewed as representing or speaking for your racial group-not to have to worry if stopped by the police or audited by the IRS because of your race- to find greeting cards, dolls and toys depicting people who look like you-to see that "flesh colored" bandaids more or less correspond to the color of your skin-to be late for a meeting without it reflecting on your race-to have your way of speaking assumed to be the correct way and not have your speech monitored (Hill, 1999)."

To sum up this very long reply, I would say that WHITE PRIVILEGE is a concept, not an accusation of white people purposefully being racist. It is something white people are oblivious to. Just food for thought, since you asked.

Yup. Totally. Thanks for posting this.
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    wow, that' really crazy. some ppl are just that stupid......
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Okay, I hope that people bring some intelligent discussion to the table on this, because I'm just more than little floored by a recent 'racism campaign' going on in my town.

A few organizations thought it would be a good idea to raise awareness of racism by basically saying that white people are privileged, don't "get it", and will never understand. Now, maybe that's true in some cases, but I'd like to see what some of you fine folks think about this campaign, and the billboards. Please see the attached link:

http://unfaircampaign.org/resources/see-it/

This whole thing is racist.
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    now a days its more common to discriminate because of your size than your color.......people are ALWAYS gonna find issues with others. but saying "it's easier for white ppl" is like saying things are easier for skinny people. we all have things we struggle with and we all get judged daily. i know a girl that literally weighs 85lbs and is 21yrs old and she HATES how tiny she is...she gets made fun of bc of it, and she tries to put weight on, but doesnt. point being, she struggles with physical issues, just like i do, its no easier just bc shes skinny, so to say its easier bc someone is WHITE, is just plain ignorant. we all live in different situations and come from different backgrounds. "the grass is always greener on the other side" it's definately reverse racism.
  • crashta
    crashta Posts: 72
    Options
    'Invisible white priviledge' is exactly what came to mind when I read the very first post. I've used this concept in poverty workshops with teachers. Most of the teachers that I've given the workshop to are not of colour and have never considered their lives up to now as being 'privilegded'.

For example, when I go through the airport security and forget to empty my water bottle, they don't freak out at me and I usually get to drink it rather than throw it out.... I'm painfully white (seriously, I don't tan well!). Another example, I can rent a car or get a hotel room because I have a credit card and didn't have any issues getting said credit card.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The first college I attended did this at freshman orientation. It was successful in creating racism.

I imagine it did. There are good people out there and there are bad people out there. They all come in different colors, shapes and sizes. Assuming white people can't or don't see rasicm is ignorant. This type of campaign just puts people of every race on edge, and suspicious of everyone. Yes, racism is alive and well as I imagine it always will be and that is a shame, but we do not need our government, be it federal, state or city to stir it up.

My two youngest children are biracial, I am white. They attend public schools, surrounded by kids of all colors. They see lots of racism, from all directions. They know some of it is ignorance learned from parents, some is from fear of differences. There are lots of reasons for it, I just tell my children to prove them wrong in all their assumptions. "Be a person, not a color."
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Racism will not cure racism. It's both controversial and just stupid. I understand the intentions (which are good), but the approach is ignorant. White people are discriminated against regularly and here is a whole campaign as an example.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options

-to be consistently able to arrange to be in the company of people of your race ALL RACES CONGREGATE IN SIMILAR GROUPS

-to be able to move to live in whatever neighborhood you can afford - IN THE USA YOU CAN BUY WHATEVER HOUSE YOU CAN AFFORD, and in some cases the government will grant you FREE money to make it happen. But not if you're White

to not be followed when shopping - I SEE ALL RACES OF PEOPLE WALKING THRU STORES WITHOUT BEING FOLLOWED

-to see yourself widely and for the most part positively represented in the media- THE MEDIA FOCUSES ON THE BAD IN ALL RACES

to be taught that people of your race created a civilized democracy- LIKE THE EGYPTIANS, THE MAYANS, THE CHINESE, THE JAPANESE?

to not have to consistently prove your credit-worthiness because of your race- CREDIT APPLICATIONS DO NOT LIST RACE AS A CRITERIA

to not have to protect your children from racism- ALL PEOPLE MUST DO THIS

to not be considered a "credit to your race" when you excel-to not be viewed as representing or speaking for your racial group RACIST AUDIENCES WILL ALWAYS ASSUME THE PERSON TALKING REPRESENTS THAT WHOLE RACE

-not to have to worry if stopped by the police - DONT DO ANYTHING WORTH STOPPING YOU FOR AND YOU WONT BE STOPPED..COPS HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO

or audited by the IRS because of your race- TAX RETURNS DO NOT HAVE A LINE THAT SAYS "RACE"

to find greeting cards, dolls and toys depicting people who look like you- COMPANIES MARKET TO THE MAJORITY TO GRAB THE MOST SALES THEY CAN. IF 69% OF YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE WHITE THEN 69% OF YOUR PRODUCT SHOULD REPRESENT THAT. THERE IS A VARIETY OF RACES REPRESENTED IN TOYS SUCH AS BARBIE, GI JOE, ETC

to see that "flesh colored" bandaids more or less correspond to the color of your skin- THEY MAKE CLEAR ONES TOO

to be late for a meeting without it reflecting on your race- DONT BE LATE

to have your way of speaking assumed to be the correct way and not have your speech monitored - IN BUSINESS ALL EMPLOYEES, MANAGERS, AND OWNERS SHOULD SPEAK SO AS TO BE UNDERSTOOD

To sum up this very long reply, I would say that WHITE PRIVILEGE is a concept, not an accusation of white people purposefully being racist. It is something white people are oblivious to. Just food for thought, since you asked.

As long as some races believe in White Privilege they will use it as an excuse for their failures in life.
    How are all the equal rights bills passed? Is it because of the overwhelming majority of blacks or latinos in congress? I agree the age of White Privilege existed at one time, but its fading into history because the 69% majority of this country who are white have been proposing and voting in changes for the last 40 years or so.

And no, I wasn't shouting..I was just trying to differentiate between the quoted passage and my response.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Okay, I hope that people bring some intelligent discussion to the table on this, because I'm just more than little floored by a recent 'racism campaign' going on in my town.

A few organizations thought it would be a good idea to raise awareness of racism by basically saying that white people are privileged, don't "get it", and will never understand. Now, maybe that's true in some cases, but I'd like to see what some of you fine folks think about this campaign, and the billboards. Please see the attached link:

http://unfaircampaign.org/resources/see-it/

This in itself is racist.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    we do not need our government, be it federal, state or city to stir it up.

"Be a person, not a color."

Your children are blessed to have such a wise mother.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    we do not need our government, be it federal, state or city to stir it up.

"Be a person, not a color."

Your children are blessed to have such a wise mother.

Thank you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I'm offended.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, while I get the intention of this intial post, and most of the responses were fairly tame, Im going to lock this thread. It has a lot of potential for possible trolling/heated debate, and just to prevent that all, Im gonna lock this thread.

Thanks for keeping it civil, but as I said, this is just to keep out future trolls.

_Ben
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.